Author Topic: MOTHER'S RUIN  (Read 1500 times)

Kate1

MOTHER'S RUIN
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:05:05 PM »
So not strictly speaking a post about wine at all - though the beverage in question is made from wine, and I wasn't sure where else to post!

Thought some Forum members (the boozier ones) might be interested to know that Ca'n Vidalet have produced a gin for the first time this year! Basically, they had a batch of wine last year that didn't live up to expectation and they didn't want to waste it - so they distilled it, turning it to pure alcohol, and then added lots of botanicals to give it flavour (most of which they grow themselves in their gardens). It's really rather yummy! Apparently it has a lot of coriander in it and it certainly tastes more herbal than English gin - not dissimilar to hierbas in fact. They suggested drinking it neat like a liqueur, but there's something about neat gin which suggests to me that I will soon be lying senseless in a Victorian gutter - so personally I would add tonic, but try not to drown it so that lovely herby taste is not lost.

I have no idea where you can buy it in the shops but it is available at the vineyard. Also don't know whether they will be making it in future or whether this is a one-off.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: MOTHER'S RUIN
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »
Wow! Thanks Kate, will certainly be trying to get a taste of that in a couple of weeks!  Im not really a gin drinker, but with an extra flavour added I think I can be persuaded!  ::) And Can Vidalet gets my custom pretty much everywhere!  ;)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

CathB

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 13:38:22 PM »
Being a bit of a  gin swiller myself that sound interesting....if you have a very good gin it can be drunk on its own (you actually drink less that way as you drink it far more slowly).the mixer can change the flavour depending on the base of the gin  some are dry and clean almost citrus like  some like bombay sapphire are quite pungent.Most people tend to use tonic but sprite or seven up is a good mixer (especially with Larios)..also try adding cucumber and not lemon to the gin...changes the flavour altogether.

Oh well only a few more days til I can sample a few myself  ;)

Kate1

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 15:32:00 PM »
That's a very good point, Cath -it certainly would have been nicer with cucumber. Don't know if you've ever tried Adnams gin? - that has a similar, very botanical flavour and that too is much nicer with cucumber. We managed to buy some Fever Tree tonic locally and this brought out the herbs more successfully than plain old Schweppes!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 16:58:27 PM »
Think we need a meet when you can introduce me to the delights of gin tasting perhaps!  8)

My Flickr Photos

CathB

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 18:35:36 PM »
LOL....surprisingly enough the place with the best selections of gin  Mombassa...also Le Meson has 10yr old Larios

Could start a new trend..instead of the tapas route we could have a gin trail  ;D

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 18:42:43 PM »
We do need to be able to walk between tastings of course. Or just find somwhere that has a good selection! ;D

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 19:06:25 PM »
I just love a nice gin and tonic to help unwind at the end/beginning/middle of the day! lol  ;) A good gin and tonic in PP has to be in the yacht club especially if ypu are a member of any worldwide club and flash your membership card as they then shake the gin bottle even more over the glass!  :o Certainly wouldn't like to sail a boat following one there!   ;D

I'm trying to remember the name of the Menocca gin - anyone know? Had one of those a few times and rather nice too.  ;)

Bella - you need to join the g&t club asap - you won't look back - you won't be able too!  ;D ;D

Much prefer the gin trial to the tapas route - excellent idea Cath!
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

girlie in the corner

• Niña el tiempo extrordinaire
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 08:34:04 AM »
As a lover of a good G&T myself (with lime rubbed round the rim), I rarely buy one out over here, as the measures are so large.  One drink and I'm done for.  (What?  Drink it slowly?  How's that done then?).  Like the idea of a tasting evening, small measures, drunk neat with cucumber etc.  Didn't realise there was that much difference in the tastes.