Author Topic: SOLLER BY VINTAGE TRAIN  (Read 1218 times)

mama mia

SOLLER BY VINTAGE TRAIN
« on: April 30, 2012, 13:48:07 PM »
An idea for visitors and friends.  I took the bus to Palma and picked up the wonderful vintage train from outside the bus station, which takes a meandering look at the vineyards, orange groves and mountains on its way to Soller town. This takes one hour.   There is even a camera stop en route.  I was surrounded by Japanese tourists, who were very helpful with my camera !    From Soller, you can take the electric tram down to the Port, which is also very scenic or stay and wander around the beautiful town.  Especially good if you hit market day.  There are also some lovely art galleries and museums clearly signposted in the centre.
If you need to return more quickly to Palma (ie. to get the bus back to Puerto Pollensa), then you can take a bus from Soller bus station which only takes 25minutes.
By car, you dont have to go to Palma, you can easily pick up the train in Bunyoles.  Itsa wonderful day out

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: SOLLER BY VINTAGE TRAIN
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 14:30:07 PM »
Thanks for this Mama Mia. It certainly sounds a lovely day out and one I really must try. In all the years we have been going to Mallorca I have never been on the Soller train!  :o It has always been on the list but somehow visits to Ilea and the like seemed to always take over!  ::)

I like Soller and had friends who used to own there so have visited the Port and Town often. Just need to do the tourist bit and jump on that train!  ;)
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 19:38:54 PM »
Just remember you don't need to go all the way into Palma to pick the train up. Catch it at Bunyola a lovely little spot through Sta Maria where it stops en route.

Remember to catch the last one back before lunch otherwise it's five/ six o'clock return.

BL
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

favie

• There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 22:04:39 PM »
So glad you enjoyed it Mama Mia, isn't it wonderful.  :) We did this trip a number of years ago catching the train at Palma when we stayed down south at Son Caliu. I can only describe the feeling I got when getting off the little train at Puerto Soller with the view of the bay as in the same league as the one I felt the first time I ever  viewed the bay of Puerto Pollensa (from the Hotel Illa d'Or) magnificent!!! Also described as a horse shoe bay but a smaller horse shoe (if you know what I mean) therefore the mountains just seemed so much closer and very majestic.... a really  spell-bounding moment. I also loved Soller town with it's  beautiful church and square, really must go back one day but will do it via Bunyola as BL has posted about.....but will be catching the later one back as could spend hours exploring the town after a nice meal at the Port or maybe I should do that the other way about!! Explore then the wine! ;)

Flyer

Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.