Author Topic: Birding in La Gola area of Puerto Pollensa  (Read 3413 times)

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
Birding in La Gola area of Puerto Pollensa
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »
I've just found this great link for the La Gola nature reserve.

http://www.wix.com/in4576/la-gola2#!__english

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: Birding in La Gola area of Puerto Pollensa
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »
Thanks Mary, and its good to see that the birdwatching centre at the La Gola nature park has reopened its doors to the public again. According to Friday's Daily Bulletin - which I have only just unpacked from the suitcase (!) " The opening of the centre brings to an end an episode that threatened to flourish into a full blown political storm. The centre, dedicated to the observation of wildfowl in the important wetlands of north Majorca, is the only one if its kind in the Balearics."
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
Fish eagle freed on Majorca

Palma.—As part of celebrations for World Environment day, a fish eagle was released at Majorca’s Cúber reservoir in the Tramuntana mountains, the Balearic government’s Environment Education Direct Neus Lliteras said yesterday.
Last May, the bird had been found by a walker close to the reservoir and handed in to a government wildlife protection unit “COFIB” badly weakened. Thanks to a conservation programme, the adult female, now 11 years old, had been ringed at a nest on Minorca when it was still a chick in June 2001.

The bird had chosen the Tramuntana as a natural nesting site but had been traceable through radar “at any given moment.” To mark World Environment day yesterday, all the nature reserve visitor centres were open to the public for free. Agriculture and Environment Minister Biel Company meanwhile was awarding prizes to winners of a competition aimed at nurturing care for the environment in business practices. The ministry has arranged environment-related activities this Saturday such as a turtle monitoring trip in Majorca’s Mondragó nature reserve.

After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 16:09:58 PM »
More about  La Gola Nature Reserve, courtesy of the Unio  Mollera Pollencina

The Park of Le Gola begins to regain its vitality.
This weekend we've a chance of a walk in the park of La Gola. As you can see in the photos attached have made work of cleaning in the margins of the roads that are now agreeably  clean and free of dog poo
Looking more closely at the area of the water park, though, due to the low level of the sea at the time the walk, we still see some samples (old chairs, big pieces of wood) of degradation to which this iconic space has been subjected the last few years.
We feel that we are on the right path for the recovery of this small space, but most of  all as well as the crucial intervention of the  Council ibanat, the affection and the interest of all residents of port.
La Gola is ours and, in addition to reclaim the intervention of the institutions responsible for its maintenance, we have to keep fighting, day to day, for its final recovery.

El parc de la Gola comença a reviscolar.
Aquest cap de setmana hem tengut l'oportunitat de fer una passejada pel parc de la Gola. Com podeu veure a les fotos adjuntes s'han realitzat feines de neteja en els marges dels camins que estan agradablement nets i lliures d'excrements de cá.
Apuntant entre les aigües del parc, però, i a causa del baix nivell de la mar en el moment del passeig, hem vist encara algunes mostres (cadires velles, grans trossos de fusta) de la degradació a la qual aquest emblemàtic espai ha estat sotmès els últims anys.
Esteim en el camí correcte per a la recuperació d'aquest petit espai que necessita, a més de la decisiva intervenció de l'Ajuntament davant l'IBANAT, de l'afecte i l'interès de tots els veïns del Port.
La Gola és la nostra i, a més de reclamar la intervenció de les institucions responsables del seu manteniment, hem de seguir lluitant, dia a dia, per la seva recuperació definitiva.

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
Now that La Gola Reserve is being properly managed  and the Information Centre is open again, here is a list of birds that have been spotted in February 2016.