Author Topic: Sun loungers vandalised  (Read 2997 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Sun loungers vandalised
« on: May 23, 2012, 08:57:07 AM »
As if we don't have enough problems getting the sun longers in the first place, the vandals destroy those on other beaches!

MALLORCA TODAY - Sun loungers are vandalised again
Beach management concessionaire Bernat Riutort, who operates parts of Playa de Muro beach and Can Picafort's beach, has suffered another outbreak of sun lounger vandalism, around 150 beds having been slashed early yesterday morning.
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: Sun loungers vandalised
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »
Ultima Hora picks up the story today;

About 150 beds from the beach of Can Picafort are cracked

One of the dealers who operates several lots of sun beds and umbrellas on the beach of Can Picafort and part of the Playa de Muro, Bernat Riutort, yesterday reported to the Guardia Civil who suffered vandalism early Monday for a total of 148 beds of your property.

Visibly annoyed with the facts, Riutort showed the great expense of changing the fabric of the hammocks "and everything happens just at the beginning of the tourist season," said the businessman. The dealer said yesterday that "every fabric of each hammock has a cost of 22 euros, which must be added the labor to change them."
During yesterday morning, the concessionaire operators were quick to pile up the hammocks affected by the vandalism and placed antiques that were stored. Notably, last week, the same dealer also found about 60 sunbeds which had also suffered damage to the Platja de Muro.

In 2007, the same dealer also reported the appearance of 570 beds cracked in Platja de Muro.

Unquote.

Im not too worried about what happened in 2007 though - i'm not sure this indicates a trend!  But this is becoming a big issue around the north and surely with the costs involved it would be wise to sort out some type of security on the beach at night?  ???

My Flickr Photos

Jimbo the Jambo

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 21:26:30 PM »
Bella,

I think I posted on the Pollesa Forum some years ago that there would be an increase in vandalism etc. as the local "have nots" would resent the "haves" on an ever increasing scale. Time has unfortunatley proven this to be true.

One answer is to increase policing, but who pays? and how. Paradise is atracting it's own problems and I for one do not know how the Mallorcan Authorities will deal with it.

Lets face it the UK can't.

I look forward to some feedback.

jimbo

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 22:34:54 PM »
Yes this is a worry isn't it as where does it end? I can never understand the thinking of people who feel it is their right to use vandalism to get a point across. It doesn't seem logical and is so counter productive. How can causing damage prove anything but 'bad breeding'!  >:(

The people responsible for these rebellious actions must know that their actions equals costs and not just in terms of money but in area reputation too. So short sighted!
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 23:01:22 PM »
I can understand what you are saying Jimbo, although it leaves a nasty taste.  As you say, how can it be stopped when the port on one hand is trying so hard to attract a higher financially viable tourist, and there are still the problems with the locals that need sorting out.   We are quick to blame the actual vandals as just being out of hand, but sometimes, just sometimes, we need to try and realise what has made them do the things they do.  I do not see how us as tourists can help in any way though, it has to be sorted out by the locals themselves.  :-\

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 08:17:16 AM »
Frustration can make people act out of character  and perhaps do things which  they wouldn't normally do but to start to vandalise isn't helping any cause and of course they are breaking the law too. As you say Bella there is little we can do.
I heard there have been demonstrations in the Old Town regarding cuts. Everyone is having a hard time. We live in challenging times!
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

girlie in the corner

• Niña el tiempo extrordinaire
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »
I have a slightly different take on this.  Rather than mindless vandalism, I read this article and took the view that it could have been a competitor who was resentful of the contract being given to someone else.  It happened in 2007, when the world was a happier place, so it could just be sour grapes.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 08:30:03 AM »
Oh gosh Girlie - hadn't thought of that! You could be right! If this is the case then thank God they didn't get the contract!
Eleanor

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 08:30:51 AM »
That did flit across my mind too. It does seem strange when beaches are desperate for beds, and PP are due to share beds from other areas that this starts to happen. Not good.  :-[

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 20:08:15 PM »
Right, think I am now back in the land of the living and able to contribute once more. Girlie is not far from what may be the case. Suffice it to say that the beach is a lucrative place.

Jimbo the Jambo

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 23:11:59 PM »
Andrew 711,

On reflection I agree with you. It does seem to suggest a more devious aspect than young idiots could or would inflict.

As other posts have said, it is up to the locals to sort.

regards,

jimbo

andrew711

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 11:25:06 AM »
One might also ask why it is only one particular contractor who has suffered this problem. There were complaints about the awarding to this contractor of the Can Pic concession as apparently the submission of the tender was seven minutes past the deadline. But I'm not suggesting anything.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »
Would that be Spanish time then?  ::)

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 08:50:47 AM »
Sunbeds really are a hot topic of discussion, even in the winter!

MALLORCA TODAY - Beach "war" intensifies: Pollensa's operator accused

The extraordinary war that exists between contractors that operate local beaches in summer has taken a further twist, the concessionaire in Playa de Muro, who says he has suffered 50,000 euros worth of damage to vandalised sunbeds, effectively accusing the neighbourhood association in Puerto Pollensa of being the perpetrators of the vandalism. This all relates to the fact that the Muro operator had the concession in Puerto Pollensa in 2011 and lost it this year to the neighbourhood association, something which itself led to all manner of accusations, such as collusion between the association and Pollensa town hall.

PP. Andrew

My Flickr Photos

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »
It's a pity that all the wrangling seems to take precedence over the basics, like getting the sun beds and parasols out early enough in the season - and also making sure that there are some on the beach for people to use in the last couple of weeks in the season.

This year, they didn't bother to stack up the loose sunbeds - they were just left strewn over the beach area at night time.  Maybe the details of the contract have changed but it's a shame that the beach area is left looking tatty when we all know that Puerto Pollensa is a beautiful tourist destination.