Author Topic: Pepper Plants  (Read 2951 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Pepper Plants
« on: May 25, 2012, 13:45:07 PM »
Way back before Christmas, I was sent some Padron Pepper seeds by a forum member - I thank you, and you can own up if you so wish!  Anyway, although it wasn't anywhere near the time to plant them, I couldn't wait. So I bought a propagator and sowed probably about a hundred!  Weeded them out to keep the strongest ones and repotted what ended up at about 8 of them into those little bio pot things (Im a great gardener as you can see). Brought them in at night and kept them heated.  Over the past few months they wittled down to the three strongest.  Replanted them into "proper" Pots and still kept looking after them.
I have left them in the sunshine this week, and have just taken a close look at them today, and I am sure there are little nobbles  on them that are the start of the peppers!  My olive bush also is looking like we will have anther lot of olives on them again.  This gardening lark's a doddle!!! LOL!
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

gina39uk

• PPHR-DIRECT
Re: Pepper Plants
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 15:09:27 PM »

And there I was thinking it was Green nail polish you were wearing ;D

Seriously  though Bella WELL DONE!!  How I envy anyone who can make anything other than weeds grow ::)
It's Nice to be Important - but it's More Important to be NICE!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:04:13 AM »
Quite excited this morning - it doen't take much these days! Put my three pepper plants out for the day's sunshine and noticed that one of the little bobbles is now really showing itself to be a bud! It may well flower today! I have noticed a couple of holes in the leaves and have been desperately looking at the undersides to make sure there are no little spiders etc. I would not be happy if they all got pepper blight or something now after all this care!  :o

You can see it in the close up one.
Have had to do this in two posts as for some reason the file is too large. No idea why!

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:06:18 AM »
Oh crikey, it is rather huge isnt it! And I didnt turn it round first!  I dont think I will post the other one of all three until someone tells me how to minimise it please!   :o

My Flickr Photos

Flyer

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
............ until someone tells me how to minimise it please!   :o

Secateurs or maybe a chain saw in your case  ;D
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:37:21 AM »
 :o Sharp intake of breath!!!!   I do have the power to ban you!   8) 

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 22:22:24 PM »
Well we have been having flipping  hot peppers virtually every week now ~ well, I have, Steve still takes just one bite and gives up!   Today was our first RED pepper.  I thought it would be sweeter and not as hot.  Didn't cook it, had it raw chopped up with a quiche salad ~ STILL Hot HOt HOT!!!  Had any of yours yet Marcus?  ;)

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »
Have planted the seeds for this years crop of peppers. A bit later than last year but hopefully the sun will push them along quicker than the false heat I gave them last year. Perhaps they will last as a longer crop too!  :D

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 10:16:46 AM »
I think the seeds I used for last years crop have passed their grow date!  :'( Nothing popping through yet - although maybe I am being a bit too hopeful at the moment - although a few thin, weedy looking mushroom type things have popped up! Flipping interlopers, soon got rid of them! 

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 07:37:43 AM »
Poked around and found the seeds all shrivled.  :'( Obviously they didnt survive the year in the packet. What a shame. I will look around and see if I can find more to buy, but may be too late to plant now.  Anyway, I am soon to leave to come over and taste them in PP in a couple of hours!  Wont be as hot as mine were last year though!!  :o :D

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 13:43:36 PM »
Well, I looked for some seeds in the Co-op towards Lidle and Eroski. The only ones they had were Capsicum free, which meant they were not the hot ones!! What is the point of that I ask myself?  Up at the garden centre back in the UK today I came across Pepper Chili Padron, otherwise known as the tapas pepper, and said they are hot. So we bought a pack and have just planted them.
I carefully opened the pack to find another little pack inside, which again, I carefully opened expecting to see them all tumbling around, as indeed I had done with the pack sent to me by MB the other year.   Well, what a shock!  All it contained was 12 seeds!!!  I should feel pleased though, as reading the small print, it says Average 10 seeds!

Considering the amount I lost the other year before having 5 fantastic plants, I am not counting my peppers before they germinate!!   :-\

My Flickr Photos

Marcus Brutus

• Your Guide 2 the Lake District
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 13:27:17 PM »
Over winter I left a few of the peppers on the plant and let them dry out and about 4-5 weeks ago split open the peppers and planted the seeds. These are now healthy seedlings!
Had I know you were up for more I would have sent you some, I thought you had been put off by the fiery nature of the home grown variety  :o :o
Let me know if you want me to root around to see if I have any more seeds. I could always try sending some of the left over seedlings and see if they survive the post?

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 15:09:03 PM »
Put off!!  Not at all!  The hotter the better IMO!  I loved the fact that they got even hotter as they changed from green to red, which I had not expected. I am quite cross with myself for not doing as you suggested and keep at least one of the peppers for the seeds.  I looked at the propergator today and can see 3 of the 12 packet seeds just starting to sprout, so with any luck they may come on quite quickly now.  I certainly would appreciate some of the seeds from your next crop though when they have finished please, they were very good quality.

Cant believe that the garden centre in PP only sold the non hot ones!!   When I asked in El Casinet if their starters of Padron Peppers were going to be hot, I expected the normal reply of maybe, but they were honest enough to say that they very rarely get hot peppers now.  Is it against health and safety now I wonder!!  :o

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »
Many expletives this morning! >:(  Something has eaten all my baby pepper plants last night!  >:(

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
My patience is being rewarded thank goodness. Two plants  have survived the various traumas and one has some flowers on and some small peppers appearing!  Yipee!! Can't wait for them to reach eating size!  ;D  Also have a lot of teeny olives on the olive bush this year too, and grapes on the grape vine, which I thought had given up the ghost the last couple of years after next doors bamboo is sucking the goodness out of the soil right next to it.  I have eaten my olives before, by picking them and then putting them in the jar with other shop bought olives for a week or so. They are ............ ok!!  The grapes - if they survive the birds - are bloody awful to eat though!!!   ::)

My Flickr Photos