Author Topic: Other buildings  (Read 2745 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Other buildings
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »
The photo showing the old house has always been a mystery to us.  We call it the Haunted House, but have no idea what it actually was.  Any ideas please?

http://mallorcaphotoblog.com/2012/06/02/industrial-heritage/
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
Re: Other buildings
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »
Sorry - drawing a blank there as well Bella!  ???  ???

andrew711

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 14:06:27 PM »
Is it not Can Morato, the old carpet factory?

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 17:06:12 PM »
I don't know Andrew, is it??!!  ::)

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 19:45:50 PM »
It is Can Morato. I've written about this in the past. "Tourism on an industrial scale" back in October, for instance. Klaus at the Photo Blog and I share a fascination with this old industrial heritage, and Klaus is a master at recording it.

Can Morato was built in the early 1920s but has been closed since the start of the 1960s. There is still indecision as to what should be done with it, though it is considered to be unsafe and may well end up being demolished.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 21:34:53 PM »
You are of course correct. Why should I have doubted you - it was the question mark that threw me! If you have a link which gives the history etc I would love to have it.  :)

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 18:39:30 PM »
There are bits and bobs about Can Morato knocking around, most of it in pretty impenetrable Catalan. There is, I'm pretty sure, some association for Mallorca's industrial heritage. I'd have to dig into what is a pretty vast archive that I have and find it, as it would probably be a good source. The decline of Mallorcan industry as a whole is an interesting story and the neglect of Can Morato for 50 years is another. What might also be interesting is whether Pollensa was selected for the factory because of its textiles reputation, Marti Vicens and all that, because I don't think the founder was local, but I might be wrong.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 21:28:51 PM »
I have been trawling the web for a while, and only get snippits ie. opened in 1922 closed in the '60's.  Would love to get fuller information. Let me know if you discover anything please Andrew.  ;)

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 08:47:05 AM »
Well this is a bit sad I think, but inevitable;

Thursday, August 30, 2012
MALLORCA TODAY - Can Morató demolition raised with UNESCO
The Alternativa per Pollença, already in contact with UNESCO's Spanish representative, has said that it will denounce to UNESCO a decision to remove protected status from the old Can Morató carpet factory in Pollensa which would lead to it being demolished.

UNESCO's involvement is on account of the factory falling within the Tramuntana region that has World Heritage Site status from UNESCO. If Can Morató were to be demolished, it is suggested, the boundary of this site could be affected.

The town hall insists that the factory, built in 1922 but abandoned since 1960, is in a state which cannot enable its renovation and restoration.

(Unquote from Andrew)

It is always the iconic buildings that have been left to disintegrate because they have "protection" order on them, then no one can do anything to them, so they end up getting knocked down and lost for ever more.
Another piece of history waiting to disappear for ever.   :-[

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 09:43:13 AM »
A link on You Tube shows some old photos of the carpet factory in its hey day.  There are a couple of old gentlemen talking on this news clip, I would love it someone could take the time to do a bit of translation.  Did these gentlemen work there in the past or come from a family which did?  They speak far to fast for me to understand anything at all!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfzs1c_antiga-fabrica-de-catifes-can-morato-de-pollenca_news

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:20 AM »
Good find Bella! Yes it would be good to know what is being said.

What a great pity. I often wondered if someone would take hold of this building and restore it in some way. Would have made agreat b&b or small hotel or even a working factory again open to tourists on similar lines to the glass factory.

Obviously much too difficult now and I suppose the site might be needed for a new block of flats or similar.  :(
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »
yes. The mayor has suggested that they should keep the facade and renovate the inside. But money restrictions probably Wont allow that to happen.

My Flickr Photos

Tia

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 13:21:26 PM »
This is really so sad but i suppose if the Mayor has to choose between an old crumbling building or paying the facturas then, lovely as it used to be (for a factory) it will have to be completely demolished  :'( :'(.   
Don't worry........Be happy !!!!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 14:02:01 PM »
Priorities are always a necessary consideration, and those in authority have to take off their emotional heads sometimes. Perhaps the two can be combined for local use though.

My Flickr Photos