Author Topic: Pardon me Boy, Is this the Chattanooga Choo Choo ??  (Read 1693 times)

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
Pardon me Boy, Is this the Chattanooga Choo Choo ??
« on: June 15, 2011, 22:30:41 PM »
If you fancy a day out in Palma then rather than hurling yourselves down the Motorway on the bus or in the car let the train take the strain.

Get yourselves to Sa Pobla Station ( on the outskirts of town ) by five to the hour and enjoy one of the best commute trips in the world. You wend your way across the northern agricultural plains of Mallorca to Inca , and then on to Alaro, Binissalem , Sta Maria to the outskirts of Palma. Great views of the Tramuntana range on your right as you go down. You then hit the suburbs and the industrial complex at Maranitxi ( Bella, you would love the Distribution depots with lorries to die for !!!! ) eventually arriving in the centre of Palma . You alight in the Placa Espanyol .

Takes about an hour and perfect if you are on vacation with no eye to the clock . But what is incredible is that the fare is just 4.75 Euros return per person. Unbelievable but true , just 4.75 Euros per person. You'd spend this easily just in car parking charges in Palma after a few hours and given the bus costs 12 Euros per return from PP incredible value.

Trains return from Palma at quarter to the hour ( run on average one per hour ) and they run to the minute .

Network Rail , eat your heart out !!!

Highly recommended

BL  :) :)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Belladonna

Re: Pardon me Boy, Is this the Chattanooga Choo Choo ??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 23:06:39 PM »
Hubby liking the sound of that! And no problem with loading up with shopping either! Only train I have ever done is the Soller tram, think I will give it a go along with working out the right shops to go to once in Palma! :)

Flyer

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 23:39:29 PM »
Inca a good starting point as well as trains a little more regular. The car park is immediately adjacent to the station and undercover so car not baking when you return.
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

favie

• There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 00:08:43 AM »
Thanks for that BL....you may have just convinced me to take a day out from PP....sounds simple enough, thanks for the alternative tip Flyer.
I do enjoy a train journey and taken in the views.....make a nice change for me as we don't have any trains over here. 8)

Belladonna

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:08:04 AM »
Thanks flyer, I think Inca station maybe a little easier to find than Sa Pobla - for me anyway!

Sun Properties

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:46:06 AM »
We went with Flyer to Palma this way and actually not that easy to find as it is the far side of Inca and if coming off the motorway you have to drive through the centre. The car park was more expensive than a single ticket on the train but I seem to recall the car park has air-con! The stairs out of the car park lead straight onto the platform. There are a few nice bars/restaurants around the station if you have time to kill waiting for the train.

SP

Belladonna

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »
Dissention amongst the ranks eh SP!?

Link to the time table below, if it works!

http://www.cometopalma.com/images/train/Manacor-Palma.pdf

http://www.cometopalma.com/images/train/Palma-Manacor.pdf

A bit of zooming is necessary when viewing!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:27:55 AM by Belladonna »

Sun Properties

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 11:36:14 AM »
Dissention amongst the ranks eh SP!?

I drove to Inca, I bought the coffee at Anthony's, I sat next to garlic breath on the train, bought lunch at Moby Dic in Palma then got a car park bill for 5 euro. Guy (Flyer) so used to being treated like royalty he forgets to put his hand in his pocket sometimes  >:(

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 13:43:01 PM »
Well parking is free in Sa Pobla and if the little carpark is full loads of streets to park in nearby.

The stations are sometimes a little out of town cos when they built the line they didn't want inner town infrastructure works. There are plans to extend the line to Alcudia but not sure if the finances are available.

BL  :)
BonysLad

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 06:30:51 AM »
Thanks BL for this thread and the info. In all the years we have been in Mallorca I have never used the train. Often on the list but just never seem to get around to crossing it off. Would like to do the tourist Soller to Palma run too as have heard the views are amazing and time is given for photo taking etc.
Did hear that it can be busy though.
Good news to if the line is extended to Alcudia. Just a short taxi ride could make this yet another alternative to reach PP from the airport.
Good train links from Palma and Easyjet from Southend - this is turning into a good week!  ;)
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Sun Properties

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 06:52:44 AM »
Palma > Soller is not all its cracked up to be IMO with the second 'bit' Bunyola > Palma being better. If you go in quieter times just leave your car at Bunyola (free as opposed to Palma parking prices) and jump on the train there. Get the tram down from Soller to the Port. Port Soller looking good after all the improvements and some good restaurants.

SP

Belladonna

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »
Have never seemed to have enough time in the Soller port, always checking for the next tram back. Perhaps getting up earlier to start with may help though! 8)

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 13:37:39 PM »
Bella,

Know what you mean cos they really take the siesta seriously cos there doesn't seem many return trains in the afternoon. You either have to rush back lunchtime or get an early evening train which can encroach on your evening arrangements .

Now we have appointed a new Tourism Director , will see if I can get some feedback to him. This little train is so popular with visitors they might seethe opportunity to increase the service.

BL  :)
BonysLad