Author Topic: Liverpool Ramblers v Puerto Pollensa Veterans 2012 (and 2013! and 2014!)  (Read 5457 times)

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
Just a little reminder that the Liverpool Ramblers will be in town this coming weekend.  14/15/16 Sept 2012
This will be the glorious 25th year of playing the local team too!
Should be a really good weekend - hope that the local hostelries have stocked up!!   ;D

(Check later posts for 2013 dates. BD)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 20:27:57 PM by Belladonna »

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: Re: Liverpool Ramblers
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 19:06:20 PM »
How could we forget ~ got that ra-ra skirt ready Mary??   :D
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 15:45:33 PM »
Twenty five shades of Silver!

When the e-mail pinged and the heading read " Sports report needed, meal included",  I ignored all the rest and oppened up the message to see what this offer was all about.

Boss man is off on holiday, and it's a very important football match for the 25th tour of the Liverpool Ramblers  LRAFC, against the Puerto Pollensa Vets.  Not the animal kind!

Not knowing a silly mid off from an off side, I crammed in some basic football knowledge, read up on the team, and became an avid supporter for the weekend.

The pre match night ritual was much the same as every year evidently;  the past president  missing his flight  due to passport mix up, and arriving at Nostalgia dressed a little like a cross between a St. Trinians school girl and a happy clown, and all the players on a strict training diet of beer and chips! This happy reunion carried on until the early hours with players falling asleep with beer in their hands and a smile on their face!  I was unsure as to how this training was going to help them play well the following day.

Many carried on this heavy training at the local night club, but this proved to be the undoing of a "novice" when attempting to find his way back home.  Let's just say 6 times round a roundabout was not what was meant when he was told to Turn Left!

They are good at this training technique though, having been fine tuning it since 1882, when the Liverpool Ramblers were formed as one of the first truely amature football clubs. All this and more information will be published in their forthcoming memoires of the club.

The relationship between LRAFC and the Puerto Pollensa Veterans, whos president is Toni Reus, has been developing for the past 25 years, with both teams visiting each others country, although it's widely agreed that LRAFC get the better deal as the Puerto Pollensa Veterans can only visit Liverpool in the month of February!

I have heard that football is a game of two halves, and this I can confirm.  The first half is obviously the training (see above!) and the second half the meal and fun (yet to come) with an important intermission of a match inbetween.

So here we go.
Setting the scene.

Arriving at Puerto Pollensa stadium we were greeted with the site of the pitch being watered by high sprinklers.   The grass looked a little jaded - a word often used with the players in other ways actually - with black overtones!   We were then informed that the pitch was once just gravel, but has now been upgraded to be astro turfed with a generous amount of chippings from rubber tyres, which with the aid of the water helps to soften the bounce of the ball.

Whilst players lined up for their photo shoot, it was noted that the PPV's had 22 players available to the Rambler's 14. It was also mumbled good naturedly that the game had to be started early to enable some members to be in bed on time! There certainly appeared to be some very young and fit Veterans, although the Rambler's had their own celebrity look alikes in the form of a very fit Vinnie Jones, and a very charasmatic Sean Connery!  General ribbing was taken and given throughout on both sides, and maybe just a  little posturing for good measure!
Shade was at a minimum and with the Ramblers losing the toss and having to start the first half facing the sun, the game was on!

The game kicked off with the Ramblers training proving to give them the edge at the start. The first corner of the game was won by the Ramblers after just 9 minutes but unable to be converted into a goal.  This was very swiftly followed by a free kick just outside the area which unfortunately ended up looking like a Johnny Wilkinson rugby kick going high above the safety netting and into the garden beyond.

Then came one of the highlights of the game. With a very fast build up and a simple pass, Steve Lewis scored the Rambler's first goal after only 12 minutes of the game.  This resulted in the Ramblers and their supporters going wild with joy!!

The game then settled into an even match. However, it was soon apparent that the Vets would be taking full advantage of their large squad, replacing players at short intervals - 14 mins, 17 mins, 21 mins to keep their team fresh.  This tactic worked well, resulting in the PP Vets taking control of the match and winning their first corner after 38 minutes. This led to a foul just outside the penalty area on the PP number 17, which, after an Oscar winning performance, including laying down and doing sit ups, led to a free kick,  which luckily did not end up in the back of the net.

Liverpool Ramblers were forced to make a change when poor Angus suffered a ham string injury and had to be replaced.  At 43 minutes, the PP Vets had another free kick which was cleared quickly by Big Macca aka Peter McNay ( aka Vinnie Jones!), which set up the Ramblers Captain, Paul McGuckin,for an excellent chance of scoring, but unfortunately missed this open goal opportunity.

This was the start, after a few more substitutions by Puerto Pollensa, of their fight back.  After a heavy tackle in the Rambler's penalty area on PP's number 10, one of their livliest players, a penalty was given and duly taken and converted into a goal by their number 10. The score now being 1 all led to a very lively upturn in the game. However, after a throw in by Puerto Pollensa, their young and fit number 21 scored on the 44th minute to make it 2-1 for the local team. Half time came as a relief to the teams, with the Ramblers taking advantage of the shade for their pep talk, and the PP team carrying on kicking the ball!

The second half started slowly - just like the sun was going down - progressing with players and supporters alike shouting out instructions and encouragement.  On the 50th minute, PP had a great shot, saved on the line by the Rambler's goal keeper, Nigel Power, which was undoubtedly the best save of the match and a great moral boost for his first tour.  This then led into some excellent football on both sides which went end to end with the Rambler's Steve Lewis, nicknamed The Engine, doing magnificent runs.

Unfortunately on the 61st minute PP's number 23 scored a simple goal, which excited all the supporters, especially with the raising of the shirt over the head moment.  The score now being 3-1 to the Puerto Pollensa Veterans.  With the constant changing of substitutes, Puerto Pollensa appeared to be the fresher team, however this changed dramatically at 72 minutes when that man again,  Steve Lewis, scored his second goal, to make the score 3-2.  This lifted, not just the players, but also the supporters in the stand and after a very quick set of movements, on the 73rd minute, a Rambler's shot at goal looked like it had gone in and the crowd errupted for all of 10 seconds until it was realised that it had only hit the side netting!  The best goal of the match followed with the Puerto Pollensa number 11 hitting a 20 yard blistering shot to give the home team a 4-2 lead on the 76th minute.   Legs were tired on both sides and although both teams had chances the game remained at this score.

As the sun dipped below the trees, the flood lights came on and the final whistle blew.  The ground errupted in cheers and clapping and more photographs were taken.

The game had ended, balls had been retrieved from bushes, gardens and behind the stand; children had sat in the dug outs watching their dads, and cut knees had been attended to and sympathy given.   The ref was fair(ish) and the two teams had remained friends throughout.

Now came the next part of the evening!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:57:48 PM by Belladonna »

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 19:46:51 PM »
Bella,

Just back from the High Seas and read your report on last nights match.

See , told you that you could understand footie.

Thank you for sharing this with us

Home win eh ??

Do you know if young Kerslake played for PP ??

BL  :) :)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 20:26:00 PM »
Second Half!

After the interval of the football match, we all made our way either by car or taxi to Can Cuarassa up on the coastal road towards Alcudia.

The team was already seated by the time Mary, hubby and myself arrived. We were all seated at  lovely tables in the lower restaurant, the team looking very smart in their black polo shirts emblazoned with their 25th tour logo, except for two - yes it was Willie and Miles who both bucked the trend as usual as per the friendship of 50 years standing - who wore a beige polo shirt and a white polo shirt respectively, still with the logos on and very smart.

Some were seen to sport badges with three gold stars on. No, it was not for good behaviour, but to represent the three wins over the Puerto Pollensa Veterans in the past.  I believe hidden away somewhere were a few with 4 gold stars on, just in case! Keep them for next year boys!
The waiters were as usual extremely smart and efficient, and the tables laid out immaculately with wine and water already available.

The first course was set out with bread, pate and serano ham.

Second course was a delicious and unusual tapas variados with a stuffed mussel, majorcan seafood frito, prawn in tempura batter, cod in a savoury batter and a chicken croquet, there was another one but I cant remember what it was.  Heavy training continued for some of the team who opted for beer from now on!

Third course was the Majorcan favourite of a fish soup with rice, which included huge and tasty prawns along with various other fish.

Fourth course was a sorbet of lemon and lime.  You certainly knew if you had sensitive teeth for this one!

Fifth course followed which was the main course - although we were already struggling by this point - of pork vol au vont in a mushroom and pepper sauce, accompanied by a courgette boat filled with carrot, cauliflower and brocolli, and a potatoe stack with cheese.

Sixth course dessert was 2  home made almond and orange ice cream slices, drizzled with hot dark chocolate, with a side of fruits of the forest berries.

Seventh course was coffee and chocolates, followed by liquors.

Wine was flowing all through the meal, and we had many of the players join our table for a chat and a laugh and regale us with various injury wounds obtained on the field!

Then it was time for the speeches and toasts as glasses were refilled with champagne.
After the welcoming speach by the Puerto Pollensa president, a response was given by the president of the Liverpool Rambler's, with a notable moment of calling for the Mayor not realising that Tomeu Cifre was actually already standing next to him. This did of course, result in laughter and quite a bit of ribbing!

The Ramblers presented the Puerto Pollensa team with a framed photograph of the Liver Building, which had been signed by all the team, followed by a Liverpool chant, which being a London girl I can't really remember!  A silver plaque was presented by the Mayor to the president engraved to commemorate the 25 years of football friendship between the two countries.  Heartfelt speaches were delivered by both sides extoling this friendship, which actually did bring a tear to my eye.

The winners trophy was presented to Paco, the Puerto Pollensas captain, this was followed by the award for that man of the match, 2 goal hero, Steve Lewis of the Liverpool Ramblers.  Further gifts were presented of tee shirts emblazoned with I Love Liverpool!

The surprise trophy of the night was wrapped in silver paper and presented by Willie, to the last years captain of the Puerto Pollensa's team.  The mystery trophy has a spectacular history.

There is always a losers trophy awarded as well as a winners.  Last year the losers trophy was awarded to the PP team. It was mysteriously lost off the jetty outside La Llonga. Four days later a fisherman fished it out of the water and returned it to the Liverpool Ramblers who were still in town at the time.  This trophy was duly cleaned up and saved for an appropriate moment.  And this was it!  Amid laughter and tall stories the trophy was returned to the Puerto Pollensa captain of last year.

This being the end of the meal and formalities, the staff of the restaurant were rightly thanked and applauded for such a marvelous meal and service.  Being a personal favourite of ours, we were still greatly impressed by it all.

Taxis and cars were called for, and and 1am the night still was not over.  Nostalgia and OHaras were again beckoning for a few hours yet.  And here I have to say, what goes on on tour, stays on tour! ;) ;D

Can not wait for next year guys - let me know the date as soon as you can!  :-* ::)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:14:40 AM by Belladonna »

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 20:32:12 PM »
Welcome back BL!  Hope I did you proud!  It was hard work, but someone had to take up the baton, and now I dont want to give it back!  I cant say who played unfortunately as I didnt manage to get all the names, but Macca should be on at some point and I'm sure he will help out and put me right on things I may have not got quite right.  :)

Oh, and yes, I do have photos but will have to wait until I get back home to get those sorted and edited ( ;)) in order to post them.

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 20:07:00 PM »
Bella,

Well wow , Hugh McIlvanney eat your heart out !!!!

Glad you enjoyed it and congrats to both teams for such sporting behaviour. It all started when a bunch of Brits played a few local waiters in a bad tempered contest. Ramblers took over to show how sport should be played.

Long may it feature.

BL  :) :)
BonysLad

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 23:46:37 PM »
Willie said they are playing in December next time as its too hot for them!!  He was joking of course.

Thanks to Willie and Toni of El Posito by the way, for presenting me with one of their smart white polo shirts.  A bit on the large side, but I'll soon shrink it to fit!  :D

A few die hards still at El Posito tonight, and all very civilised.  Or jaded!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 18:48:58 PM »
Will now try and down load a few photos;

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 18:50:11 PM »
More;

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 18:53:52 PM »
Last ones;

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 18:56:30 PM »
I lied, found a few more!

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 18:58:03 PM »
Last allowable photos!!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 23:12:57 PM by Belladonna »

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
Re: Liverpool Ramblers v Puerto Pollensa Veterans 2012
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 22:02:13 PM »
Thanks Bella,

Lovely to see you all "Over the Moon" but where are the goalmouth action shots ???

BL  ;D ;D
BonysLad

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: Liverpool Ramblers v Puerto Pollensa Veterans 2012
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 22:25:39 PM »
The sun was in my eyes, and my eyes were on the players!  8)  I cant do everything you know!  ::)  If you want better shots next year, I'll up my expenses for a new camera!!   :-*

Just took a look at your great report for last year BL http://www.bonygraph.com/forum/index.php?topic=658.0
Which was brilliant, but cant see any goal photos there either strangely enough!  ::)  Lets try to do better together next year!  :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 23:34:12 PM by Belladonna »

My Flickr Photos