Author Topic: Dogs on the beach!  (Read 12028 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Dogs on the beach!
« on: October 17, 2012, 10:25:50 AM »

Reported by Andrew today;

MALLORCA TODAY - Proposal for dog-friendly beach in Puerto Pollensa

The Alternativa per Pollença is to present a motion for a pilot project to be undertaken that would allow residents and tourists to take their dogs to the beach. Pets are, as in other towns, banned from beaches in Pollensa, but the Alternativa believe the ban is too restrictive and that designated dog areas would help to attract more "quality" tourists. The pilot would be on the Can Cullerasa beach from Club Sol to the Alcúdia border.

Unquote.

I believe this is where the wind surfers are, although I may be mistaken.  They are already complaining that too many cars park along there now!

Quality tourists??!!  How many tourists bring their dogs on holiday then - is that allowed in your 20K luggage allowance!!   Asolutely ridiculous..    >:(
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

Re: Dogs on the beach!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
It's an odd one. When I opened the message in my inbox from the Alternativa, I thought it was an April Fool. Apart from anything else, that stretch of beach (and I'm not sure where the Alcudia border actually is) isn't really beach at all; I'm pretty sure it doesn't stretch as far as in front of the Club Pollentia or up to where the kitesurfers congregate as this part of the coast is definitely inside Alcudia. So as far as a pilot scheme would be concerned, I can't see what it would achieve. Now, if they were to do it on the Tamarells beach (snigger) ... stand back and wait for the indignant posts to forums.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 13:37:06 PM »
This is just plain stupid! It could be taken a step further and conclude that for 'health a nd safety' reasons to have dogs on a beach should be a no no! There is enough fuss made about the lack of clearing up after dogs on pavements - can you imagine!!!

As for 'quality tourists' - what the heck does that mean?? If you have a heinz 57 you are down market but if you have a cockapoo you are quality???? Or of course a handbag dog as can be seen in The only way is Essex says soemthing else!! So flipping stupid!
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 14:57:04 PM »
Totally agree eleanor.  You can take it as many steps as you like ~ quality tourists have dogs.. non quality tourists dont!!??  Ridiculous.  Obviously something could be lost in translation, and I really cannot see that tourists would go to where dogs specifically were allowed to "Go"!  I know the dog poo situation is an ongoing one, but this is not going to help!  ::)

Just found this link as to where the beach is.  Still cant make it out at the moment.
http://europewikibeach.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/can-cullerasa-pollensa-mallorca-spain/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 14:59:15 PM by Belladonna »

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 15:55:51 PM »
What the release from the Alternativa said was: (A beach that would be equipped for dogs with bins for poo etc) "would give a 'plus' of tourist quality and would ... make Pollensa a European destination for tourism with pets".

The beach extends from where the Sant Jordi torrent comes out (just by Club Sol) and so pretty much from the roundabout as far as the turn off down the old road to Pollensa, heading towards Alcúdia. I think this road is more or less where the boundary limits of Alcúdia and Pollensa meet.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 16:21:45 PM »
Ah, the twist is in the translation, and the devil in the detail!

So, instead of paying out for cultural advertising and outside interests to draw over the tourists, they consider that providing the doggie poo bins will make all the difference!!   Who ARE these people!!!!!????::)

My Flickr Photos

tonsyl

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 21:04:29 PM »
As someone who has taken his dog on holiday to Puerto Pollensa and has walked it on Tamarells beach during the 5 weeks we were there I cannot honestly see how a designated beach area way out in the sticks is going to attract tourists of any grade, quality or rubbish! Now I know the Germans and French are given to taking their dogs on holiday and we will be taking ours ( a quality German Shepherd ) again but a designated area does not seem an attraction that would persuade or dissuade us, with or without poo bins. We travelled in March so the beach was open to animals (legally) at that time and we, along with many others who excersized their dogs, cleared up after our pets quite happily. I have to say that many locals away from the beaches did not but that's another story. When April came and the beach became a no no for animals, we found areas at the back of the town to excersize her or maybe went further down the coast road if we wanted her to go in the water. The sheer hassle of getting a dog to Mallorca would seem to be a far bigger obstacle and far outweigh the attraction of bins etc on a beach. Maybe get the locals to clean up after their dogs might help to attract tourists of whatever grade !

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:44:52 AM »
Very good points there tonsyl.  As you hinted, tourists do make the effort to clean up after their pets, as is becoming ingrained in the UK, whilst it is taking a little longer to take off elsewhere.  Looking at the link to the beach, it appears in that photograph that it is not a sandy beach where families may decide to spend the day, but you can never tell when the tide is out!   If it is a remote part of the coast line, and hardly used, then perhaps  it is being used already by dog owners, and putting bins there will encourage them to keep the area clean?

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »
Not quite on the beach, but on the same subject, Andrew mentions;

MALLORCA TODAY - Pollensa fails to apply sanctions against dog fouling

Yet again the La Gola park in Puerto Pollensa is causing concern because of dog fouling and botellón parties. Despite local laws and signs which make clear fines for not clearing away dog mess and which forbid the botellón, the park still suffers from both. And the town hall seems to be doing nothing about either and not applying its own laws.

My Flickr Photos

tonsyl

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »
The subject of the laws and their upholding is a sore point with me Bella. I have long said that the "powers that be" in PP seem to "accept" certain things and La Gola is a classic example. It could be a lovely natural area for wildlife but the drinking and fouling (not only by dogs) going on there appears to be tolerated.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 15:32:26 PM »
I wonder who is friends with whom?  ::)

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 08:35:32 AM »
NOOOOOO!!!!!

MALLORCA TODAY - Pollensa's Llenaire beach will permit dogs

Pollensa town hall has given the go ahead to a proposal for dogs to be taken onto beaches in the town. It has earmarked Llenaire beach in Puerto Pollensa and Cala Carbó beach as the two beaches where there will be signs indicating permission to bring dogs and which will be promoted as such to tourists. The proposal that Can Cullerassa beach should be a pilot project has been dropped.

Unquote.

Full story here;

http://www.diariodemallorca.es/part-forana/2012/11/03/municipio-contara-verano-proximo-playas-aptas-animales-domesticos/805403.html

I  have nothing at all against dogs, but I do feel that beaches that are used for family summer holidays are not the right ones to use for allowing dogs, or horses or any other animal on in general.   There are many, many considerate owners who will watch their pets to make sure they are not a nuisence, but I cannot see this being a good thing.  Animals can not help but get over excited at the site and sound of children playing noisy games and throwing frizbees and balls around.  Owners can of course pick up doggy poo, but some will be left behind, and "number ones" are not that easy to sort out are they!  And over excited yapping dogs are not what we want to hear whilst reading out summer books either!!   This of course is my first reaction, and no doubt I will back track when I have calmed down! Or  maybe just find another beach!   :-\

Your response is welcome, especially from dog owners of which I know we have a couple, and I know they are extremely good with their dogs.  :-*
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:47:45 AM by Belladonna »

My Flickr Photos

Flyer

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 09:39:38 AM »

MALLORCA TODAY - Pollensa's Llenaire beach will permit dogs
Pollensa town hall has given the go ahead to a proposal for dogs to be taken onto beaches in the town. It has earmarked Llenaire beach in Puerto Pollensa and Cala Carbó beach as the two beaches where there will be signs indicating permission to bring dogs and which will be promoted as such to tourists. The proposal that Can Cullerassa beach should be a pilot project has been dropped.
Unquote.

I would ask that all Bonygraph readers (whether dog owners or not) peruse the following article which is just one of many which can be found on the internet regarding toxocariasis. This problem is far greater in hot/beach countries than in the UK and indeed Spain has one of the worst records for 'outbreaks'. Indeed most Spaniards do not even know it exists as I suspect many Brits don't however it will only take one or a few children (in particular) to contract and believe me it will have a more lasting effect on the tourist industry that the odd plague of jellyfish!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11012044
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 13:25:22 PM »
Thats absolutely terrible.  I had been aware of this, more so when my children were younger I have to admit, but it certainly seems as if this should now be a no brainer for dogs to be on the same beach as children.  If however, there is to be a fenced off area, then perhaps there could be a compromise?

My Flickr Photos