Author Topic: Lluc Monastery roof repaired  (Read 1540 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Lluc Monastery roof repaired
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:51:02 AM »
After the strong winds which blew the tiles off of the roof at Lluc monastery in September 2012, it's going to be repaired with a bit of history attached. In the ddm today;

All signed tiles will be used on main Lluc building
Lluc.—As part of the campaign to finance and repair the roof of Lluc monastery after serious storm damage, all the tiles bought and signed by visitors and supporters will be used in the monastery’s main building, Joan Rotger, the Vice-President of the Council of Majorca’s heritage department said yesterday.
Rotger was issuing a statement after the Council of Majorca had said it will not allow the new signed tiles to be inserted in the roof area of the arcades, which are listed architectural features of the monastery. The roof repairs on the arcades will need to use “weathered” tiles to fit in with the overall historic aspect.

Rotger said another 180'000 tiles are needed to cover the whole roof area of the main building of the monastery and urged the public not to slacken off in their support of the roof tile replacement campaign. “No one should feel cheated because their tiles won’t be visible from ground level,” said Rotger. “All of them will be used.” Yet more effort is being made to finance the repair. On 5th December, a charity concert is being held in Palma Cathedral in aid of the campaign. Star performers will be Maria del Mar Bonet, Andreu Riera, and the Balearic University and Lluc monastery choirs.

After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: Lluc Monastery roof repaired
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »
MALLORCA TODAY - Now the Lluc monastery suffers a fire

Having recently had a good part of its roof ripped off during a storm, the monastery at Lluc has now suffered a fire which broke out this morning, the 200 or so people staying overnight there having to be evacuated, one 37-year-old man having been taken to hospital in a serious condition.

See more: Ultima Hora http://ultimahora.es/mallorca/noticia/sucesos/ultimas/desalojan-centenar-personas-del-santuari-lluc-por-incendio-leve.html

My Flickr Photos

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
Oh dear - that's very sad  :(

Flyer

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 12:14:44 PM »
Nipped up there last month as we had friends out who had never been. Bit miffed to have to pay the 4€ (per car not per passenger) as always been free before. However, in hindsight, it was good value as in the building alone you can spend an hour, easily, wandering around the museum. The cakes in the cafe are to die for, coffee VERY strong but thats to my liking but not the other 3 with me. Annoying construction noise as the roof tiles are being replaced but hopefully that won't take to long to sort. Gardens also worth a visit/wander around. Sorry to hear of the fire ~ hopefully it won't impact too much on the re-roofing and hope the injured guy recovers soon. 
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:09:36 AM »
Must put that on our list to re-visit. Bought my Mallorca cookery books from their shop many years ago. The gardens have definitely improved over time, but never tried the coffee shop as it was always too busy! Need to visit out of season I think!

My Flickr Photos

Flyer

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »
Blimey ....... Spanish inflation for you - what cost me 4€ in December will be 6.30€ now ..... probably due to the fire!

"Palma.—The Lluc monastery, one of the most popular tourist attractions on the island, is introducing new parking charges this spring. It will now cost four euros for residents and 4.80 euros for tourists per day to park their vehicles at the monastery. An entry fee will also be charged to the monastery and museum of 1.5 euros.
The new tariffs come as the monastery seeks new ways to find money for the upkeep of the centuries old building.
Extra police will be on duty to ensure that the new parking charges are paid."

Seems like they are expecting big trouble if extra police are on duty  ::)
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 19:39:25 PM »
Mm. And the extra charges will help pay their salary!  ::)

My Flickr Photos