Author Topic: Petra  (Read 1030 times)

andrew711

Petra
« on: December 03, 2012, 13:01:46 PM »
Stopped off in Petra on the way back from Manacor this morning. Forgot a camera. Shame. Got to see inside the massive main church before a bunch of Spanish "pensionista excursionistas" pitched up. Mightily impressive - the church that is. The little town was so incredibly quiet. Hardly a soul around (before the pensionistas turned up) and walked up to the other church next to the Juniper Serra museum. This part of the town has been really well preserved but modernised tastefully. The church, smaller than the main one, looks great with its palms and pine in the forecourt and there is a street of what I suppose are old church houses all with loads of plants outside them on the street. Plaques to the various missions that Juniper set up in California, and many houses have their own sort of plaques to him next to their doors. It's the 300th anniversary of his birth next year. Worth a look if you haven't before.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: Petra
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 15:00:22 PM »
Thanks Andrew.  Ashamed to say we have never been to Petra, driven through but never stopped. Arta is another one, with its monastry, that we have alwasys said the famous "we must ....."  and never done.  Must make up a circuit of churches to visit one day.  ::)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 15:04:38 PM »
Yes, definitely back on the 'must do' list - thanks Andrew!

mama mia

Victoria peninsula
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
I decided to have an adventure of my own and drove through Mal Pas on to the little coves and up the winding road to
the refuge which has beautiful views across to the Fortress and back to the port.  The restaurant was closed of course but
I intend to take my daughters there for their respective birthdays in September.  There was a group of locals who had obviously
rented out the annexe to the refuge and were cooking paella with a multitude of seafood in vast paella pans over an open fire.
It was a delightful scene and proves that even after 18 years, you can still find places to explore and enjoy. :)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 15:19:16 PM »
You are so adventurous mm, I do so admire you!  Sounds a great place to visit and perhaps we will manage the same dates in Sepember and do a joint visit!  Thank you for posting about it all.  :)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos