Author Topic: UK Television in Mallorca  (Read 12818 times)

Flyer

UK Television in Mallorca
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:51:33 AM »
I assume, like quite a few people on this site, my TV/internet set up in the UK and Mallorca is the norm.
UK = Sky HD (full package) via dish + broadband
Mallorca = Sky (limited) via big dish + broadband

I understand that the ease of obtaining Sky in Mallorca is likely to deteriorate and indeed some channels are going already. I am starting to look into a Slingbox (HD) ~ see http://uk.slingbox.com/

as this would appear to have the facility to 'transfer' my full HD (sports, movies etc) Sky package to Mallorca and would, in fact do away with the dish. Currently checking my broadband speed in Mallorca however if anyone has any experience of Slingbox (particularly in Mallorca) grateful for any comments.
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: UK Television in Mallorca
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »
Have seen this problem mentioned a few times in various places now. Will be checking ours next week and will probably get the advice of those very nice men at Confort to help out with what needs to be done!  :-\
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Flyer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »
Have seen this problem mentioned a few times in various places now. Will be checking ours next week and will probably get the advice of those very nice men at Confort to help out with what needs to be done!  :-\

Don't think Confort will be able to assist with Slingbox. The Slingbox unit has to be linked to the donor box (ie connected to your Sky box/TV in UK) so it can 'sling' the reception to your Spanish TV. The more I read re Slingbox the more I think this is the way to go although the download speeds in UK and Mallorca (ie your broadband) are critical. I have also come across problems when the Slingbox is left on for any long period of time, for example if you have lettings throughout the summer. There is a mod to install a fan (computer type) in the box but this negates the warranty.
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
Sometimes I wish technology had never improved - I'm sure I was happier when I didnt worry about tv on holiday or whether we should get internet or not!  Now we have tv - all done through Confort and so far very good - its a constant challenge to keep updated!  ::)

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »
Donald Trelford in today's Bulletin reports that he has spoken with Dave Panter about the situation and that basically a 1.8 metre dish is going to be required for domestic purposes. That means a fair expense plus it can be awkward to mount a dish of this size unless it's on a roof. As Dave is an experienced satellite installer locally, I'm inclined to believe he knows what he's talking about. I don't really know if Slingbox is a great solution. Apparently you can get the same results as Slingbox using Skype and a TV tuner card for a computer, but the broadband speed is important and is variable. I pay for 3MBs but only receive around 1 because of the location of the exchange. The same issue would apply to IPTV, which would probably the best solution, assuming there were a service that could adequately supply it. Got to say, it says it all at the end of Donald's piece when he suggests that the quality of expat life could be reduced if channels can't be picked up. Is TV all that people care about? Is the ease of having picked up Sky - illegally - over the years a key reason for there being as many expats as there are?

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:57:20 AM »
Probably!  ;D  This could branch off onto an entirely different discussion, but I wont start it here! Being of very basic knowledge regarding most IT things ~ you only have to remember the kerfuffle I had on getting the dongle ~ I woldn't have a clue about getting tv transferred from UK to Mallorca, so tend to do everything as simple as possible by going through the "man who can" who is recommended to us by any ex pats.  These have been locals 100%, and have never let us down.  Obviously now I have said that we will have problems, but hey ho, its all experience!

Its not only ex pats who like the idea of English TV, but also the tourist / rental market, and we all know that the island needs more of that, so its another "progress" step (and dont we all love those) that we have to accept.

I'm not sure about the "quality of life" being reduced, but it certainly helps getting through the cold, dark nights in PP when you are saving money by staying in!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

girlie in the corner

• Niña el tiempo extrordinaire
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:07:56 AM »
Seriously, how many exp-pats do you think are going to pack up and go home, just because they have trouble getting English telly?

Flyer

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »
Seriously, how many exp-pats do you think are going to pack up and go home, just because they have trouble getting English telly?

As I walk into the Port on this lovely sunny morning glancing over the delightful Pollensa bay I would be absolutely devasted and life would be not worth living if I could not watch Corrie this evening  ::) On second thought maybe a cortado at Marina Bar watching the boats bobbing by and happy/smiley people walking along Pine Walk may slightly have the edge .... think I may even have a second coffee or even a Mojito when lunch approaches.  :)

usandthewoof

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »
As an ex-pat who lives here full time now, I certainly wouldn´t consider going anywhere if the UK TV channels disappeared, but it is a small luxury to be able to watch our favourite shows from back in Blighty.  Surely one of the most important points about IT and telecom development is to make people´s lives more enjoyable and "easier". No-one I know would leave the delights of PP just because Eastenders had disappeared from their lives 3 times a week, but as mentioned it does make the winter months more cosy.
I do have to agree that David Panther is very good at what he does and if he doesn´t know, then he will find out.  If the bigger dishes are more expensive, there is always the option of English owners in the same blocks clubbing together and sharing the expense if it means that much to them and I for one would consider it as an option.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 10:47:36 AM »
Totally agree. A little bit of luxury never did any harm - except to the pocket!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 11:11:45 AM »
Never having had Sky or British TV, it makes not a jot of difference to me, but there are folk who are well and truly wedded to their British comforts, and pretty much those alone, and they most certainly include the telly. Probably wouldn't mean people packing up, but I wonder to what extent those who have moved here have been influenced by the knowledge that Brit telly was readily available. There will be ways round the problem, even if it's a more expensive one. The bars are pretty canny at finding ways to broadcast, but I wonder if they might be hit by this. All those who proudly advertise Sky TV and rely heavily on the footy and sport for their business. I guess if it means buying a bigger dish, then they'll do so.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 09:01:10 AM »
Of course they will. Another thing to add to the skyline, and guess how that will affect drink prices  ::).  Oh the march of progress twists and turns on its merry may, boulders may be placed in its path, but like water, it always finds a way round. Where's a good dam builder when you want one!  ::)  There must be a reason deeper down that its changing agaiin, and I expect I have missed reading it somewhere, but I SO wish time can stand still for a little longer than it does these days.   ::)

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 17:27:10 PM »

Well I'm thinking about it but on second thoughts no , I'm staying to annoy Andrew.

Seriously , went and had a chat with Dave Panther yesterday and we are going to lose the tv channels come the summer. They do not know whether a 1.8 m dish will be adequate or a minimum of 2.3m which is like having Jodrell Bank on your roof. I have currently a 1.3m dish on my roof terrace shared by one of my neighbours who takes a feed off it but has never paid me ( the Bastard but that's another storey ). Do I sit tight and see which one of the top floor Brits weakens first for the superdish and takes up roof space which we can all contribute to or do I look at the internet slingbox solution ? Download speeds here in the centre of town are not bad and a friend was showing me Sky Sports last night on his ipad using his VPN .

Only concern is if I am here a long while and my router goes down in the UK somebody will have to go in and re boot it. However understand that you can get time switches for routers which can refire them overnight . This is going to seriously effect the rental market I would have thought as I can't imagine anyone wanting renters taking internet feeds off their home broadbands .

Lawks a lawdy if anyone could see the sites I look at ( Purely for research purposes only !!!! ).

So please can we keep the sharing of technical data going , Guys .

BL  :) :)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 17:31:49 PM »
Oh great, and here was I thinking it was all scare mongering!  I know we have lost Channel 5 already which has become BBc2 - never to return. But surely we cant lose them all! No one paying to share the disc!!??? Good grief, thats just not British dont you know!

Lets all pool our resources on this one.  Certainly not going to do the sling box though.

My Flickr Photos

usandthewoof

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 17:48:01 PM »
Oh, it really doesn´t sound good. BD we will have to get the roof strengthened to support any potential new dish. :o