Author Topic: UK Television in Mallorca  (Read 12709 times)

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
Re: UK Television in Mallorca
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 17:54:32 PM »
Yeah, absolutely Bella.

Just when you thought you'd cracked the magic of the dongle !!

BL  ;D
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 18:22:40 PM »
Why is it that just when the coast is clear something else comes along to give hassle! We seem to be going backwards.

I like to be able to turn the tv on and know that I can watch a programme without wondering if I will have a signal. In Mallorca is it especially important to me if coming out in the winter as wonderful as PP is. I don't always want to be out and about.

I think this will hit the rental market. Ok it could be argued that those on holiday should not be glued to the tv but that is their choice and if that is what they want to do then who are we to say it is wrong. Having access to a tv is as expected as having access to a fridge in this day and age. 

I do hope that an easy solution can be found which isn't going to cost the earth.  :-\

Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 18:44:45 PM »
Whilst you are doing that - a nice little hot tub would be lovely!  ::)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 20:09:40 PM »
Just been on the blower to my Technical Director back in the UK. Not reassured me one bit.

Told me that it has been a bit of a freak that we have been able to pick up the Bskyb satellite
so well in Majorca for so many years as we have been on the edge of the satellite signals for so long.

Looks like the sling box solution will need to be played through your laptop or iPad only. Major issues about downloading through tv sets and issues re channel changing via a UK base.
Also potential licensing issues and maybe subscriptions required a la VPN.

Nobody really knows for sure yet exactly what the tv station satellite switching will bring . Some optimists believe a 15 % downgrading of signal strength only. Pessimists reckon the new Arab satellite will completely overshadow what we receive.

So looks like we will just have to wait and see what transpires as the year progresses.

Keep posting on info though.

BL
BonysLad

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 21:09:12 PM »
Thanks for this BL. It doesn't sound very positive does it! As you say we will have to wait to see but research the alternatives as well!  :-\
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Flyer

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 07:57:05 AM »
Told me that it has been a bit of a freak that we have been able to pick up the Bskyb satellite
so well in Majorca for so many years as we have been on the edge of the satellite signals for so long.
Looks like the sling box solution will need to be played through your laptop or iPad only. Major issues about downloading through tv sets and issues re channel changing via a UK base.
Also potential licensing issues and maybe subscriptions required a la VPN.
Nobody really knows for sure yet exactly what the tv station satellite switching will bring . Some optimists believe a 15 % downgrading of signal strength only. Pessimists reckon the new Arab satellite will completely overshadow what we receive.

Agree that we have been very lucky to pick up satelite as even with a large dish Mallorca is on the fringe of the reception area. SlingBox should work but relies heavily upon download speeds both at both 'ends'. There must be a licencing issue as Sky subscription in UK entitles you to use in UK only. One of the problems I have come across with SlingBox is that it needs to be switched on all of the time ie possibly ok if you are away for a couple of weeks but if you intend incorporating say in promoting the letting of your apartment this will mean leaving switched on 24/7. The unit gets hot and they seem to burn out if left on for long periods - solutions on the internet to incorporate in-built fans (ie as a laptop/PC) but this negates the warranty. Agree best to wait and see what happens over the summer/autumn as it looks like (at the moment) no viable alternative.
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Alcanadakid

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 15:49:05 PM »
I have just purchased a Slingbox and will try it when we are out next month. It says you need a download speed in excess or 0.8 Mbps. We get between 1.2 and 2 Mbps in Alcanada, so in theory it should work, Will report next month,

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 15:53:37 PM »
Welcome AK, good to have you onboard.  There is certainly a lot of interest / worry about this subject, so will appreciate you being the proverbial guinea pig!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 16:59:20 PM »
I agree - just wish there was an idiots guide to this! I think we have been quite spoilt here in the UK as so many options, easy and quite cheap if you go just for the basic freebox.

We did everything 'right' when we bought the villa and thought that would be that. Oh no - this is Mallorca and we have no end of trouble with tv and telephone. In the end we gave up with the phone but I wil ot give up with the tv!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 18:45:29 PM by Eleanor »
Eleanor

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 17:05:50 PM »
Yes, lets just get the tv sorted out and then we can start on WiFi!  :o

My Flickr Photos

Flyer

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 18:19:05 PM »
AK - did you buy the 'basic' box or did you splash out on the HD one? Presume you obtained from PC World/Currys. I tried to persuade them to sell me one on the basis that if it didn't work I could have my money back but our local store were not interested  :(
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Alcanadakid

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 15:42:27 PM »
Flyer,

I bought the basic box from the Slingbox website. It arrived in 2 days from Germany. I didn't buy the HD version because I was concerned about the size of the downloads. That is still a concern, as I am not sure what my monthly download limit is with Telefonica.

I know that if we download an HD film it is roughly 3Mb compared with 0.9 Mb for a normal film and hence 3 times the download. We have just bought a Sky "on demand" box in the UK and I made the mistake of downloading HD films. In theory I ought to be able to operate this box with the Slingbox which will then give access to BBC i-player. To do this however I need to piggy back the ethernet port on the Sky Box. Does anyone know of this is possible?

Obviously if you want to watch the TV in Mallorca it would have to be on a TV with a Wifi connection, or else you watch it on a computer.

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 16:31:04 PM »
Hi and welcome to the site, Alcanadakid

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with your sling box.

As you have mentioned BBC iplayer have you considered a VPN ?? ( Virtual Private Network ).

I enjoy both sky sports , BBC and ITV player on my ipad here in the UK but of course it's broadcast is restricted to UK users only .

However a friend who lives part time in Pollenca was showing me how he had cracked it . He had set up a VPN ( but important to make sure it's UK domained ) and when in Mallorca he switches the VPN on and receives all of these over the Telefonica broadband. The VPN basically fools the transmitters into thinking it is being received in the UK .

We watched the  Sky footy and the BBC iplayer on his ipad . Obviously you are not able to get full TV coverage but a useful little tool .

Think most VPNs are about $60 -$70 dollars subscriptions per year .

Could keep me out of Bar Med in future !!!!!

( Only kiddin , Kev !!!!! )

BL  :) :)
BonysLad

Flyer

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 19:33:49 PM »
Thanks AK your thoughts re HD are exactly my own feelings however as I have just bought a HD tv it would be nice to make full use of it. One of the problems I have picked up on a forum is the heat gain of the slingbox given it is switched on 24/7 whilst you are away the suggested solution being to install a computer type internal fan. BD friends of mine in France pick up Sky that way via a VPN provider in Switzerland paying 5 pounds a month!!!

girlie in the corner

• Niña el tiempo extrordinaire
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 08:01:31 AM »
All very interesting, but as someone who lives here permanently, not a solution for us.  We're waiting to see if its all a storm in a teacup and will react once we know exactly what the issue is.  There's a way round everything, its just finding it that can be difficult (or expensive)!