Author Topic: Caterpillars  (Read 919 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Caterpillars
« on: January 29, 2013, 09:29:08 AM »
I have trouble with the translation from Diario de Mallorca and this is a little confusing as usual, as well as me not really understanding in principle what is actually happening.  Are they killing the caterpillars or burying them so they grow??!!  Help please, brain not working obviously!  ::)

Hunters shoot cartridges against processionary 2500
Bags were removed Pines Biniamar communes and Caimari well as some social preserves

A hunter points to a bag in a pine forest. Córcoles Pep Pep Córcoles Members of the Forest Hunters Society conducted a campaign to alleviate the effects of the processionary (Thaumetopoea pityocampa) in the pine forests and preserves public municipality. Hunters shot last Sunday, about 2,500 cartridges when the bags in which the caterpillars hibernate before lowering the pines and buried to make the metamorphosis to adult. This is a very powerful ammunition not loaded with plenty of low caliber pellet.

hunters were divided into groups of two or three participants and broke the land of the communes and Caimari Biniamar and surrounding pine forests of the urban centers.

Llorenç Palou, president of the organization, says that "this year seems to be especially virulent as to involvement of the plague, but that's always on and that what we do is only to mitigate its effects." Hunter argues that "to eliminate the municipality would need some resources that are not our mayor. Possibly 200 hunters were not enough and 20,000 cartridges."

campaign that led out the finances hunters own entity, with assistance from the Hall. "We used Government grants but last year and not got it," says the president. Environment councilor, Tòfol Barceló, appreciates "the work they do to keep the public woodland in good condition"

After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

Re: Caterpillars
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »
They are shooting the caterpillar sacs from pine trees. It's a usual procedure, though the local police have tended to do so in the past.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:17:33 AM »
Right. With the aim of blasting the little poisonous things to kingdom come?

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 18:09:43 PM »
Usually with the aim of taking aim, knocking them off the branches and then chucking the sacs in the rubbish or setting fire to them.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 18:15:05 PM »
Sounds a very time consuming sport to me!  ::)

My Flickr Photos