Author Topic: Stairway to Heaven ( Number 18 ) !!!  (Read 2074 times)

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
Stairway to Heaven ( Number 18 ) !!!
« on: April 22, 2013, 15:23:51 PM »
Bit unusual to discover wine from a grower in the depths of Mallorca named after one of the greatest rock songs ever composed but what a great find at the wine fira here last Saturday.

The fair, up to it's usual high standard , was packed late Saturday afternoon . Entry fee of 10 Euros now and you are presented with a carrier bag, a glass , brochure of the 40 stalls exhibiting and a pencil to use by the serious vinibuffs . Also your entrance ticket entitles you to a 3 Euro discount off a bottle of wine purchased ( once only alas !!!! )

And so, you start with all serious intent at number 1 , hoping to work your way methodically around the whole fair . For an hour all well and good but then for some strange reason it goes tits up. Probably meeting so many folk you haven't seen for many months. " Wow. they've got Stairway to Heaven over there " long time not seen friends cry. So now we're hooked and stuck at table 18 the stall for Castell Miquel who carry both the Blanco and Rosado Stairway to Heaven.

So having tasted the amber nectar , there's no turning back , and we're up to all sorts of ploys to get more and more . Sending each other's partners up for samples , then individually in the hope that they wouldn't recognise us . And then desperately pleading for larger samples on the basis we're out to buy .

So happily imbibed mucho before leaving . Intrigue by the name a little research needed. Expecting to find some ageing Californian hippy looking for an alternative lifestyle to the ravages of the drug fuelled seventies had bought the vinyard on the slopes near Alaro. Alas no .
Locally owned and only cultivated since 1998 and named because the owner called the terraces " Stairways " . Tale of an angel a while ago appearing before a farmer and telling him where to position the vinyards . Farmer so grateful he placed a Madonna in a local cave ( which is still to be discovered) . They have the name ready for a new wine should it happen " Cueva Madonna "

Somehow a bit more interesting than a clapped out hedonist .

Definitely on list to visit now but boy oh boy is that Blanco good .

Stairway , passage, path, street etc etc to Heaven indeed !!!

BL  :) :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 15:28:18 PM by Bonyslad »
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

GrandeMimosa

Re: Stairway to Heaven ( Number 18 ) !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 21:21:56 PM »
Managed to get to No 20, before it all got a bit too winey, who actually won the competition and got to No 40, or am   I missing the point of it all.
P.S I'm sure the locals get bigger portions

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 22:33:05 PM »
Do the tables get lower as you go round, so that when you are on your knees you can still reach the table?  ::)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

snowy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 23:55:09 PM »
Looks like it travelled well as well
Is my glass half full or half empty

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 08:00:07 AM »
Glad to hear it Snows! Hopefully you wont have brought the bad weather back with you too though!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 15:42:18 PM »
Bit taken aback earlier cos whilst enjoying a coffee in the Marina Cafe what should I spy with my little eye at the front of the chiller where they keep the gateaux but a row of bottles. Slap bang in the middle in pride of place was a bottle of Stairway to Heaven ( Sauvignon Blanc and not the normal Blanco ). Couldn't get the menu out quick enough and sure enough it is on the wine list at 23.75 Euros. Thinking I was seeing the Marina in a whole new light I called Tony over and asked from where they sourced it as I have found it about as rare as hens teeth.
From a victuallers in Manacor he replied and lo and behold it is on the wine list at the Casa Via, their sister establishment.

Got into a bit of a discussion around wine and then Tony presented me with a bottle to take home to try later and which he highly rated.

It is called Blanc Veran and from Finca Biniagual in Binissalem. Does it stimulate the old taste buds in any of your recommendations ? Didn't like to look up the price as far too ungracious but think again it's round the 20 euros mark.

Will let you know when I open it.

BL  :) :) :)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

snowy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 09:30:23 AM »
Was that two years ago how times flies when your having fun.

Saturday 18 April 2015 first point of call "Stairway to Heaven" and drink a toast to absent friends.

Then may just have to try one or two nice Reds.
Is my glass half full or half empty

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 09:42:29 AM »
Raise a glass or two for us Snows. Having a grotty time at the moment.  :-\

My Flickr Photos