Author Topic: In praise of Lifeguards!  (Read 914 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
In praise of Lifeguards!
« on: May 23, 2013, 15:22:03 PM »
After the Marina Cafe meet up, where a poor old gentleman spilled all his coffee ( ;)), we decided to get some baguettes and head for CSV headland to sit in the car for our own picnic and watch the waves crash in.  The red flag was flying, and the lifebouys strung across the beach to stop swimmers.  Still a lovely afternoon though and worthy of sunbathers and kiddies sand castles alike.

But the sea was rough, and there were 3 lifeguards sitting around looking very laid back. But they were clearly on the ball. They took turns in walking up the hill to look over the headland for any unseen problems.  The waves were crashing in and causing amazing splashbacks on the rocks closest to the road, where photographers were taking some great photographs.  We walked along and sat on the side just far enough away to only sometimes get the spray.   But kids always take it one step further dont they!   And where are the flipping parents at this time? Anyway, there is a rock formation that when the waves crash in a huge updraft which sometimes gives a spray, and other times just immense air, almost G force!  The kids found it and loved it. Not too much of a problem, until they get bored. Then they walk a little closer to the edge where the waves sometimes crash over.   Have to admit I was pretty worried and told hubby he was going to have to tell them to step back a bit.  Then after a while, who would wander along but a lifeguard.  No shouting at them or telling them to come away,  just sat down where they could see him and they automatically knew they shouldnt be so close and just came away.  We saw this happen again when they started climbing over rocks.  We were very impressed to see them do their job without all the shouting and fun spoiling.  The parents? they wandered along with a camera and left the kids to it!! 
Dont you just love lifeguards?!  8) ;)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: In praise of Lifeguards!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 19:55:52 PM »
I love to visit CSV and watch the waves hit the rocks especially on a windy day. It reminds me of one of those old 50's films for some reason. The ones which always start with a wonderful view and then throughout the film keep returning! Well we like to keep returning too and will always find time to sit and watch the time pass by surrounded by the wonders of the views.  :)

I do wonder why some seem to leave their brains at home though when getting on the holiday plane. What do these adults think they are doing allowing their children to play with the dangers of the waves. We live by the sea - the estuary which 90% of the time is calm and inviting. It can lead to a false sense of security. It can never be taken for granted. It is calculated and crafty. The sea takes no prisoners and can be quite violent and quick with it's attack. We have had many an accident here and each leaves us wondering how it could happen. In CSV it is easy to see how it can happen. Thank God for the lifeguards but frankly I don't think it is the children which deserved to be shouted at but the parents. Totally stupid and irresponsible and not only were their children at risk but their inability to use common sense put the lifeguards at risk too.

Thank God the guards were there and all was well. Can you imagine the headlines had something happened? Of course it would have been everyone elses fault - including the waves of CSV.  >:(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:22:15 AM by Eleanor »
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:27:13 AM »
Sounds pretty scary to me but you do have to balance these things.

Kids need to be exposed to life's peril's from time to time . It's all part of the growing up process.

Just hope we don't see the day when kids are only allowed on beaches wearing life jackets or in parks without climbing gear on .

Not totally joking either

BL  :)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
Yes agree BL but there is learning lfe skills and plain stupidity in my mind. Risk assessment should be very much a concern. Learn but with caution. Maybe it's the teacher coming out in me but I think it should have been explained to the kids AND the parents what the consequences of certain actions could be. Knowledge is power. It seems unfair that others are put at risk even if they have chosen the job they are doing.

This past week there has been much talk in the papers of the low percentage of kids under the age of 11 who are unable to swim. A bit of a worry really - what happened to the weekly swimming lessons which were on the curriculum when I was a kid? Ok many moons ago I know but just as important as some of the more fashionable subjects I think?  :(
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.