Author Topic: Save Formentor Beach!  (Read 2701 times)

TheLamb

Save Formentor Beach!
« on: June 20, 2013, 16:46:30 PM »
Hello,

I’m new to the forum so first of all I’d like to say hi! ☺

The reason I’m joining the Bonygraph is to hopefully raise awareness about a matter close to my heart…the demise of Formentor Beach! Sounds very dramatic I know, but those of you, like me, who have enjoyed this beautiful beach for years, I’m sure will be as sad as I am to see the terrible state it is in since the storms earlier this year. And even worse, that it doesn’t look like anything is going to be done about it, any time soon!

So…I have decided to draw up a petition to the Mayor of Pollença, describing why it’s so important for holidaymakers, locals and the town hall alike, that Formentor Beach is restored to it’s former beauty.

If you’d like to sign the petition, you can do so here:
http://www.change.org/es/peticiones/que-se-restaure-la-playa-de-formentor-a-su-antigua-belleza

FYI the petition is in Spanish so for those that don’t speak the lingo, it reads like this:

“Dear Senor Bartomeu Cifre Ochogavía:

Formentor Beach has always been a key attraction for holidaymakers and locals alike. The renowned fine white sands and the clear blue waters have long made this beach a haven of beauty, which many liken to paradise.

After storms in the early part of this year, the beach was virtually destroyed, as the sand was swept away to reveal rocks and pebbles.

Although the stretch of beach in front of Hotel Formentor appears to have been restored and replenished with new sand, the rest of the beach remains in ruins. It not only looks dreadful, but it is also impossible to lie on the sand or enter the sea without much discomfort.

We strongly believe it's in the town hall's interest to restore this beautiful landmark location to its former beauty. If not, you run the risk of damaging it's fantastic reputation; losing loyal visitors and also newcomers, and as a result, will also lose an important source of revenue for the north of the island.

Yours Sincerely,

(Name of Signatory)”

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 17:12:21 PM by TheLamb »

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: Save Formentor Beach!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 16:51:16 PM »
Excellent letter TheLamb. The more places this petition is published the more signatures it will get. Its already doing the facebook rounds and should go viral pretty quickly! Well done you for taking the bull by the horns, or the stones on the beach (!) and do something pro-active.  :)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 17:46:21 PM »
Signatures going up - keep them coming, get husbands and wives to sign too, just make sure you use separate email address or it wont be accepted.  ;)

My Flickr Photos

Chelskiboy

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »
Go girl..............local council needs to get involved !! I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some underhand Barcelo activity going on as well !!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:02:03 PM by Chelskiboy »

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 13:00:58 PM »
Probably,

But just out of interest how much are the Hotel Shades and hamacas ??

BL  ;)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

TheLamb

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 13:22:54 PM »
Hi guys,

We're now up to 34 signatures in less then 24 hours!

We should get to the 100 mark in no time. :) Thanks for all support so far, let's keep sharing via Facebook, Twitter, email and any other method we can think of! Woo hooo!

BL - Don't even think about it!  :P

x

TheLamb

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 13:31:13 PM »
Just another quick note, if anyone does share on FB, make sure that the privacy settings for that particular post are set to 'Public' to gain as much reach as possible! You can change this using the little drop down next to the 'post' button! Thanks  ;D x

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 19:00:12 PM »
Just back from PP myself but didn't get to Formentor this visit as had loads to do . How upsetting to see these photos and to read what is happening to such a beautiful place.  I will be adding my name right now to the petition and well done TheLamb in taking the initiative. Thanks also for the info re Facebook - will be sharing and didn't know about the settings. Well done you!   :)
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Chemical Dave

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 19:11:37 PM »
Thanks for raising this "The Lamb". I had no idea the beach was in such a bad state as I have not been there this year.  I have signed the petition so hopefully it will result in some action. Hopefully Mayor Cifre (encrypt!) will take heed and empty his pockets. I fear that it will be too late for this year though.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 10:54:15 AM »
Probably,

But just out of interest how much are the Hotel Shades and hamacas ??

BL  ;)
[/quote ] From what I remember the sunbeds alone are 60 euros! But you obviously get a far better sun tan!

My Flickr Photos

TheLamb

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 14:42:16 PM »
Hi Guys,

Now up to 61 signatures now! :) Also have a mention about petition in blog by Andrew Ede from Talk of The North.

http://alcudiapollensa.blogspot.com.es/2013/06/sign-here-petitions.html

He and a few others have mentioned this petition may need to be addressed to the Costas authority...Does anyone know if there is a website or contact info for them? I can then add them to the petition. I have had a quick search online and can't find a website....

Cheers!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 15:20:11 PM »
Afraid I Cant help with searches this weekend as away and only checking in by mobile. Doing well with signatures though!

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
Details have been posted as a comment to the article. The Costas are a department within the national government's environment ministry, so I think the address is the right one, as this is the one for the national government's delegation in the Balearics. The Costas have their own delegation for the islands, so it would be Palma that deals with any petition matter and not Madrid.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »
Thanks for your help and invaluable knowledge Andrew!  :)

My Flickr Photos

TheLamb

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 17:32:54 PM »
Perfect, thanks Andrew! I'll take a look and add the relevant details to petition. Just to give a quick update, support is still rolling in...We're up to 79 signatures now and I also contacted English Radio Pollensa yesterday on Facebook and they very kindly plugged the petition on their show yesterday and also today so thanks to Charlie, Gary and Nicki for your support!  :)