Author Topic: Save Formentor Beach!  (Read 2702 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: Save Formentor Beach!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 17:54:16 PM »
You are getting amazing results for this TL! Just goes to show that some things just need "putting out there" for people to want to get involved, and if you give them an easy way to do it, then you are on to a winner.

Is there anyway you can also petition the locals in the same way, and business too perhaps? Maybe some local support will help swell numbers along with tourist support.
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

TheLamb

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 18:24:34 PM »
Yes definitely Bella! Yesterday, I typed in Pollensa on FB and sent an PM to most of businesses I found on there. I've also got quite a few local friends on FB too. Plan to send an email to all local restaurants etc too!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 19:10:58 PM »
Brilliant! Don't know about 100 signatures, the way you are going it will add another "0" on to it! Looking forward to it being all wonderful again by the time we arrive!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 20:52:08 PM »
Have you tried the likes of the Alternativa, i.e. local opposition political parties? The Alternativa is particularly active in picking up on stuff. Alternativa per Pollença on Facebook. Pep Garcia is the main man.

TheLamb

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 14:06:28 PM »
Hi!

Another quick update...we now have 89 signatures, so well done to those plugging away!

I have just sent out another appeal to all my 'amigos pollensines' on FB to sign and share with their friends as I think local support is as important as the holiday makers'/expats' support. Would be great if you guys could do the same if you haven't already...If you wanted to send the appeal in Spanish feel free to use mine as a template:

"Ya hemos superado 89 firmas para la petición para restaurar la hermosa playa de Formentor, pero aún necesitamos más! Llamando a todos mis amigos Pollensines, por favor que firmen la petición y compartanla con sus amigos! Si ya lo has hecho, gracissssss i Feliç Sant Joan a tots! ♥ http://chn.ge/12O1l0w"

Andrew, as you recommended I have also been in touch with the Alternativa per Pollença (sent PM on FB) this morning asking for their support and that they spread the word so hopefully that will have an impact...great idea BTW! ☺

I also wanted to explain how this petition works...When I set it up initially it asked me to enter the name, organisation and email address of the individual/s to whom I was petitioning. Thereafter, every time the petition gained a new signature that person would receive an email alerting them of this.

I addressed the petition to Sr. Bartomeu Cifre Ochogavía - El Alcalde (Mayor) de Pollença, and confirmed the correct email address for him, so he/his office will be receiving these notifications.

Since Andrew and Lorenzo mentioned this could also be an issue for the Costas authority, the petition is now also addressed to Sr. Juan Carlos Plaza - Jefe de la Demarcación de Costas en las Illes Balears. When I called his office this morning I was informed there was no email address for him. All petitions must be sent via regular mail or delivered in person to his office in Palma.

The address they gave me was the following:
DEMARCACION DE COSTAS DE BALEARES - MINISTERIO DE MEDIO AMBIENTE
CALLE CIUTAT QUERETARO, S/N
PALMA (BALEARES)
+34971774943

Once we have gained enough signatures to hopefully have a real impact, I plan to send a formal letter to both authorities and perhaps, if necessary a visit in person wouldn't go a miss either… Funnily enough this is the exact place I was the other day to sort out my NIE number so at least it wouldn’t be hard to find! ☺

Anyway hope that makes things a little clearer….

TheLamb

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 17:36:36 PM »
Hello fellow Formentor lovers! ♥ Sorry it’s been a few days since I sent an update, but quite a bit to report…

We are now up to 108 signatures, which is great, but momentum has really slowed down so we need to get rallying again! Ideally I’d like to get at least 1000 signatures. Once we’ve reached this amount, the plan is to send the petition with a formal letter in the post to both Sr. Juan Carlos Plaza - Jefe de la Demarcación de Costas en las Illes Balears and Sr. Bartomeu Cifre Ochogavía - El Alcalde de Pollença, Ayuntamiento de Pollença.

So, please can everyone who cares, share the petition through as many mediums as possible (Email, Facebook, Twitter etc.), asking people to sign but also share with their networks too, to try and reach as many people as possible? I know, many of you have done this already so thank you, but let’s keep sharing to remind people that may have missed it the first time round!

To make it easier, you can copy and paste the templates at the bottom of this post and send out to your networks! ☺

So far, I have contacted over 60 local businesses via Facebook and email, explaining the situation and have asked them to sign and share the petition with their networks, to try and gather more local support, including restaurants, Lancha La Gabiota (The boat company that do the daily trips to Formentor) and other businesses. Jose Maria from Stay has already signed!

Radio Pollenca got in touch with me off the back of my FB message, to ask who we were; if we were an association etc. and mentioned they may like to invite someone in to talk about the matter on the radio.

I have replied explaining that we are not an association but a group of locals, expats and holidaymakers who share a common love for the area and said if they would like someone to come to talk about it, I would be able to organize.

I’m waiting to hear back from them, but if anyone has any suggestions of a person who feels strongly about the matter and would be happy to speak on the radio, please let me know! I personally think our message would have more clout coming from a local business owner, and of course, they will also speak Spanish/Mallorquin, which would be necessary I’d have thought!

On another note, did anyone see the photograph published by the Town Hall this week, with representatives from the concessionaires AAVV (beach management company) and Hotel Formentor, MARSAVE (organization that look after security protection) and the municipal authorities, posing on Formentor beach, holding 4 large Blue Flags to mark being awarded Blue Flag status once again?

For those that don’t know, the Blue Flag is a distinction that the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) award each year to those beaches and marinas in Europe that promote cleanliness and safety, environmental education and collective action for the protection of the coastal environment.

Despite the current state of Formentor Beach, this year it has been awarded Blue Flag status once again... strangely enough the photo was taken right in front of Hotel Formentor, the part of the beach that has been beautifully restored since the storms took place! I wonder why?! You can see the photo here: http://tinyurl.com/qads99h

Right, think that’s all the news at the mo…Would love to hear any other thoughts/ideas on other ways we can build support! In the meantime, let’s keep sharing! x

Templates:

ENGLISH
We’ve already broken through the 100 signature mark for the petition to restore the beautiful beach of Formentor, but we still need more! Calling all holidaymakers, ex-pats and locals from the Pollença municipality, please sign the petition and share it with your friends! http://chn.ge/12O1l0w

It is important for the following reasons:

The Formentor beach has always been a major attraction for tourists and mallorquins alike. It is famous for its fine white sand and crystal clear waters that have long made this beach a haven of beauty that many liken to paradise.

After the storms in the early part of 2013, the beach was virtually destroyed, as the sand was washed away to reveal rocks and stones.

Although the stretch of beach in front of Hotel Formentor seems to have been restored with new sand, the rest of the beach remains in ruins. It not only looks terrible, but it is impossible to sit on the beach or enter the sea without much difficulty.

It is in the interest of the town hall and the coastal authorities in the Balearic Islands to restore this beautiful beach to its former beauty.

If not, they run the risk of damaging it’s fantastic reputation; losing loyal visitors and future potential visitors, and as a result, not only losing an icon of Mallorca, but also an important source of income for the north of the island.”

SPANISH
“Ya hemos superado 108 firmas para la petición para restaurar la hermosa playa de Formentor, pero aún necesitamos más! Llamando a todos mis amigos Pollensines, por favor que firmen la petición y compartanla con sus amigos! http://chn.ge/12O1l0w

Es importante por todo esto:

La Playa de Formentor ha sido siempre una atracción principal para los turistas y mallorquines por igual. Es famosa por su fina arena blanca y sus aguas cristalinas que durante mucho tiempo han hecho de esta playa un paraíso de belleza.

Después de las tormentas en la primera parte de 2013, la playa estaba prácticamente destruida, como la arena fue arrastrada y lo que quedaba era nada más que rocas y piedras.

Aunque el tramo de playa en frente del Hotel Formentor parece haber sido restaurado con arena nueva, el resto de la playa permanece en ruinas. No sólo se ve terrible, pero también es imposible sentarse en la arena o entrar en el mar sin mucha molestia.

Es en el interés del Ayuntamiento de Pollença y de la Demarcación de Costas en las Illes Balears para restaurar esta hermosa playa y hito interesante a su antigua belleza.

Si no, se corre el riesgo de dañar su reputación fantástica; perder los visitantes leales y también los visitantes potenciales futuros, y como resultado, no solo se perderá un icono de Mallorca, sino también una importante fuente de ingresos para el norte de la isla.”
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 17:39:09 PM by TheLamb »

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 21:19:03 PM »
Conspiracy theories abound on this latest bit of news on the area of Formentor.

http://psm-pollenca.balearweb.net/post/116065

My Flickr Photos