Author Topic: Bumble Bees!  (Read 1171 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Bumble Bees!
« on: July 03, 2013, 12:24:20 PM »
We have a ridiculous amount of bumble bees buzzing around under our glass canopy. Most of them are just too silly to work out how to fly out again and end up dying. :-[  I have heard there is a general excessive amount of them this year, anyone else finding this?  ???
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: Bumble Bees!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »
I have noticed this too Bella and my poor little dog had a nasty shock when she decided to take a nap in the sun on Monday! Did she jump!! Actually it was quite a nasty sting poor thing!

So they are not that sleepy or lazy not to sting infact I think when they are sleepy that is the time they have their sting ready for action!
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 19:15:41 PM »
They dont usually sting either! You have to be so careful when they are dozy, and your poor dog too! Did she sit on one or something?  :-[

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:36:15 AM »
Yes poor thing! We were having a coffee in the garden and she came to join us sitting next to my chair. She yelped and jumped so high lol. She ran indoors with her ears down and tail between her legs. We then noticed the bee in the ground near to where she had sat down.

Lots of hugs and a few doggy chocs later she was fine! Thankfully no vet bill this time!
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 06:43:57 AM »
Just a thought - bees and wasps don't seem to be a problem in PP do they? They must be there of course but I can't recall seeing any? Only the ghastly mozzies which seem to survive no matter what and of course ants! Ants can be a real problem. We pay for the ant man to come in every year to spray the house but still they find their way in. Also foxes - I can't recall seeing a fox in Mallorca or hedgehogs?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:49:53 AM by Eleanor »
Eleanor

tonsyl

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:59:35 AM »
We saw some in the garden of the cottage we stayed in earlier this year. Interestingly they appeared to be more red and black as against yellow and black at home . Katie catches bees when she can and so far has not been stung, silly creature that she is!

Kate1

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »
There are no foxes in Mallorca, which I guess explains why there are so many free-range chickens wandering around in the countryside! I have definitely seen wasps - or are they hornets? - they don't look like British wasps -and does anyone know what those really big black insects are called, that blunder around with seemingly no purpose - they look horrific but I don't think they bite. Mind you, I have never got close enough to them to find out as I have always been running quickly in the opposite direction (screaming while I go).

Yup, no matter what you do to keep the ants away, they will always find their way in! Especially when it rains. We have had to replace electrical cables several times because ants have eaten their way through. We too get the professionals in once a year but it doesn't totally solve the problem - my husband used to manically go round with the Zum as soon as we arrived, but that makes it worse as it just drives them inside! We have also had issues with a colony of rats setting up home in the boiler house - one of them tried to attack the plumber, which is how we found out they were there.

I suppose living in such a beautiful place has to have its downside!

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 10:02:17 AM »
Oh gosh Kate - rats! Can't stand the things. I haven''t seen any thankfully but of course as they say there is always one close by! Lets hope all the cats living wild keep them away. We were told once that we had a mouse but we never found any evidence of this but did all the necessary just in case.

Those black things you refer to Kate -I have no idea what they are but they are quite horrid aren't they. We noticed quite a few of them when out a couple of weeks ago.  We were cleaning and painting the house and this seemed to encourage them. Not sure if it was the smell of the paint or perhaps the dampness of the paved areas from cleaning.

Cockroaches - yek! Seen a few and what a size they were too! Hate the things. One flew into the pool - well actually he seemed to dive into the pool from a great height much to my horror. We were cleaning the surrounding tiles so thankfully no in it. The ghasty thing just wouldn't die. In the end husband scooped it out in a bucket and disposed down the loo. Flipping thing was there for ages and gave me nightmares.

Hope you managed to solve the rat problem Kate. I haven't checked my boiler room for months - not sure if I will now!  :)
Eleanor

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 10:24:04 AM »
Well those posts were the stuff of nightmares! Being brought up in cities and towns does make us a bit worried about the wildlife doesn't it!  We now have those little plastic boxes in the corners of the rooms in the apartments to deal with the ants which seem to work. They even find there way up two flights of stairs if a biscuit crumb has been dropped sometimes!  Many many years ago, when we were staying in an apartment in Alcudia, 3 floors up, my son woke up during the night with ants crawling all over him!! We Zumed the place so  much we had to stay out for nearly 24 hours before we felt it was safe for us to go in without masks!  :o
I have seen headgehogs, and actually saved one on the road in Santa Maria a few years back as I was afraid it was going to get run over down the narrow roads, so we (Steve) used some plastic bag to pick it up and put it over the wall. Hate flying things larger than a ladybird and smaller than a sparrow!  And Rats!!  Shiver.........!!!!!! :o

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 10:46:07 AM »
Just horrid idn't it Bella! These ants seem to get anywhere. I was told by a Spanish cleaner that lemon juice can stop them as they hate the smell. Can't see how this would work actually as you would need so much of it. aldo amonia but who wants the smell of that!

Well done Steve on saving the hedgehog - very brave!  ;D

Rats have to be my pet hate they make me shivver. actually the flipping cockroaches do too.

When my husband first qualified he had a project in a top Mallorcan hotel and spent a great deal of time there. I often visited and one evening very late he decided to visit the kitchen. He turned on the light and honestly the place was literally crawling with cockroaches. They had the men that do in first thing the next day but Gosh the thought of eating there again filled me with horror.
Eleanor