Author Topic: Energy Efficiency Certification  (Read 862 times)

Flyer

Energy Efficiency Certification
« on: July 05, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »
You may or may not be aware that as from the 1st June 2012 it will be a legal requirement for any property built before the year 2007 to have an energy efficiency certificate in place.
Should you sell the property, the document would be needed at the notary on the day of completion of sale. Any property not having the EEC (energy efficiency certificate), would result in the property sale not completing until such time that the necessary documentation was obtained.
There has been a lot of bad press in Mallorca and Spain with stories of companies trying to make a fast buck out of carrying out surveys when they do not have the qualifications to do so. The result, people paying out many hundreds of Euros for worthless pieces of paper.
To obtain a certificate, a survey of the property has to be carried out. The survey includes taking a floor plan of the property (if you already have one then that's fine), and the survey reports on what type of windows, doors, flooring, insulation, heating and lighting the property has installed. A rating is then made between A-G and certification is then obtained with the correct rating.
I would only recommend that you have the survey undertaken just prior to putting your property on the market. Prices vary considerably and indeed do not just accept the price your agent (if you use one) comes up with as you do not need to go via an estate agent to obtain the certificate. Like in the UK I have no time for this beaurocracy - another EU law that is about as useful as a chocolate teapot!
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: Energy Efficiency Certification
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 09:39:39 AM »
I had heard of this but didn't think they were taking it so literally that ia sale would be thrown out at the notary.
Do you know if a RIBA or American Inst Arch would be able to do this and self certify? Any idea who acturally would supply the certificates?

I suppose the answer to this is obvious as there is money for them to make here. Just thinking that we need to get our house certified. Obviously have many floor plans and would be a simple job for us to do ourselves but I think I know the answer to this!  ::)

Sometimes I think the Spanish just go out of their way to cause problems and difficulties with all this rubbish!  >:(
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Flyer

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »
In fairness (to the Spanish) it is an EU law to obtain EEC and the same rules (floor plans and energy certification) apply to the sale of UK residential properties following the demise of HIP's. My point is that they make little or no difference to a sale/purchaser. I am selling an old home in the UK - little wall insulation (9" solid), no floor insulation etc and sensibly nothing I can do to improve however it is an old country cottage and as such attracts buyers - they couldn't care less it uses more energy than a brand new Wimpey in a commuter suburb. Likewise in Mallorca a villa with large patio doors overlooking the sea is going to 'fail' when compared with a well insulated (in Mallorca?) place with prison windows but what would the buyer go for?

No UK/USA architects cannot self certify although interestingly I believe Spanish Architects can. Don't think the sale will be thrown out by the Notary but it will remain as pending until such time as the EEC is produced - they only take around a week so I think people will know a week before they move that a sale is likely. Just paid £90 for one in the UK - the Spanish Architect I spoke to said he was charging 250€ for small properties up to 100 m2.
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:38:59 AM »
Thanks for this and totally agree with you. A property with wonderful views but not quite as insulated as others will sell regardless of the odd draft or two.

Strange they are working to EU law but not allowing EU architects only Spanish to certify!
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.