Author Topic: Gardening questions  (Read 729 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Gardening questions
« on: July 05, 2013, 13:43:52 PM »
As its a gorgeous day here I ventured into my 40 x 40 little garden to have wander round whilst hanging up the washing. Walking on some wooden decking whilst about to water a hanging basket, I trod on somthing sticking out about 3 inches up from the deck. Looking down, I realised it was a shoot from my neighbours Bamboo clump the other side of t fence which is probably about 12' high now at least. I do tend to trim it from my side if it starts leaning over too much, but what on earth do I do about these shoots now?! Once I started looking I can see them everywhere, and one was so thick it actually has dislodged the corner part of the decking! Some are quite thin and I can break them off, but some need a cutter to cut through. Usually about 4 or 5 inches high at the moment. Goodness knows whats going on underneath the rest of the decking.  We have a little bit of black bamboo, but I grow it in a pot as I know how it spreads and we have such small gardens!  Oh I am really not looking forward to having to say something to our neighbour, I would rather cement over the decking I think!!  :-[
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: Gardening questions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 15:40:44 PM »
Try putting salt down! seriously it works better than any other killer! I buy the huge bags in Asda for about £1 each and just chuck it down. It might very well work on bamboo as It will even dry out ivy. Worth a try before having to speak with the neighbour!

I need to sort out a huge conifer tree. It is bigger than the house and causing shadows. I wonder if salt might work on that! lol  ::)

Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: Gardening questions
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 16:04:35 PM »
Really!!  I wonder if they have any left in the box down the road from winter time road gritting!! LOL!  ;D
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos