Author Topic: Property Owners Support Group  (Read 12809 times)

Papillon

Re: Property Owners Support Group
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 18:39:39 PM »
Just had a request for a booking in October from a Mallorca couple who want my 3 bed apartment for 10 days with just them as guests. This is the first time that I have ever had a request from a local family.

This was my response:

"Hi Juan, unfortunately due to the change in the law in June 2013 I am unable to offer my apartment for rental until I obtain a Touristic Rental Permit. At the present time these are not being issued so I cannot to let my property legally so I have only been able to offer friends and family use of it this year. I have left the advertisement for the reference of those friends as I get no rebate for cancelling.

It is a very difficult situation with possible fines of €20,000 for those found to be in breach of the new regulations.

Sadly this will have a devastating effect on the local economy and this legislation has been driven by the hotel and apartment hotel owners who feel there is unfair competition in these times of recession.

This seems a very strange way of trying to generate taxable income for the local economy but my hands are tied.

Until I have clearer picture of my legal obligations I not be able to offer any sort of rental service.

Kind Regards"

Dear Bella am I being a little paranoid!

"Frustrated from Felixstowe"

favie

• There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 18:56:21 PM »
I can understand your frustration Papillon....the whole thing is just plain crazy. Like many of us, I have read many articles on the web, some saying carry on as normal until the end of the year and others reporting owners being fined thousands of euros already.....makes no sense!

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 19:16:34 PM »
What a shame Papillon! This is causing such problems to so many isn't it. A loss of revenue and a lovely holiday. Did Juan respond I wonder?

BL who is Nigel??? Am I a little slow here? Or is it a Bony quiz?   :)
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 19:24:18 PM »
Eleanor,

Obviously you , like me , didn't vote for UKIP  !!!

Papillon ,

Probably wise decision to reject the booking as I hear from folks out there that the Tourist Gestapo are out in force at present . Really think you should advise the folk in the other place that you have done this .

Bella,

Do we need to close this down to members only ?? Might be the only place this get's aired for obvious reasons .

BL  :( :(
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Katiesmum

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 19:30:49 PM »
Shame upon you BL, it's the only way to go, right out of Europe and back to Great Britain. (Good job this is a free speech forum)

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 19:50:32 PM »
Just found this on MJC associates newsletter - it gets worse!

ENERGY CERTIFICATES
The new law is quite clear - if you wish to sell or rent your property you need such a certificate which we can help you to obtain. I have not heard of anyone being fined for not having a certificate but as the government needs the cash - no doubt the pressure will increase.

sorry folks - best we know I suppose!  ::)
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 19:52:47 PM »
Eleanor,

Obviously you , like me , didn't vote for UKIP  !!!

Ahh that Nigel!  ::) Heard the name once ...........!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 19:55:03 PM by Eleanor »
Eleanor

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 20:06:35 PM »
Shame upon you BL, it's the only way to go, right out of Europe and back to Great Britain. (Good job this is a free speech forum)

Lol - wish we had a 'like' button!  ;D
Eleanor

favie

• There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 20:16:01 PM »
" like"  ;D

Papillon

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 20:17:40 PM »
Eleanor

So let me get this straight if I wish to rent I must apply for an energy certificate and I will then be entered on a  database along with my NIF number.

The noose is getting tighter.

Bony I would love to but I don't want to be identified by my post if the request is from the Taxation Taliban.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 20:31:39 PM »
Yes Papillon that seems to be correct! To rent or to sell you now need yet another licence/certificate and yes I suppose that will mean some sort of database - big brother is working very hard at the moment!  >:(

I wonder how much money this will cost? Really getting fed up!

As for the other subject I did wonder why suddenly a local was making contact re a booking - this is becoming very uncomfortable!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 20:33:58 PM by Eleanor »
Eleanor

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 20:56:49 PM »
By the way Papillon.  Did you try to cancel your advert and got refused for a reimbursement?
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Papillon

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2013, 07:59:10 AM »
Bella I have suspended my advertising and will be taking no bookings until I can guarantee my clients holidays. I can't accept deposits knowing I may have to cancel at the last minute leaving guests high and dry.

It appears the law is not denying the owners the right to offer their properties for rental. What it is saying is that if you qualify as a Touristic Rental, and after obtaining your energy certificate and permit to rent you will be allowed to compete on equal terms with apartment hotels.

So it it is quite clear the sticking point is the definition of a Domestic Rental and Touristic Rental property.

As I said before from what I have read a Touristic Rental property has to conform to the standards of an apartment hotel and have a lobby area so the vast number of apartments will not qualify.

Can this definition be challenged, maybe, but there seems to be a groundswell of support for this requirement.

The question now is can any website accept advertisements from apartment owners knowing full well they do not comply fully with the statutory requirements and will the website have to publish a disclaimer of liability to protect themselves from accusations of aiding and abetting an illegal activity.

It has been said on the other thread that the good times are over, be thankful that we have been able to generate an income in the past but it does now appear that the gravy train has well and truly hit the buffers.

Finally can I just say how refreshing it is to be able to post on a forum that can discuss opposing sides of an issue without descending into the mud slinging so prevalent on many sites.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2013, 08:40:52 AM »
Thank you Papillon, that is exactly why Bonyslad started up this forum.

Can I also just say again, that if there is any post or part of post that anyone feels can  be of benefit for open viewing, please do post it on the open thread.

There does not appear to be any more gossip from the port at the moment. No one that I know of appears to know directly of anyone who has been fined yet, and it is suspeected that the inspectors are visiting places where they have been denounced by the community they are in rather than what they have found themselves at the moment.
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2013, 09:16:39 AM »
Well that is better news! Maybe they are just collecting info to use next year who knows! what does leave a nasty taste is the word denounce! It implies neighbour against neighbour and that usually equals trouble. I really hope that if anyone does have any issues they speak or contact the person first before denouncing them. I think it should be remembered too that people DO rent their property to family and friends - it REALLY does happen - so if anyone does have any ideas then lets hope if they decide to denounce that they have thie facts right!  :-X
Eleanor