Author Topic: The adventurous spirit  (Read 970 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
The adventurous spirit
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »
Reading Andrew's latest blog today http://alcudiapollensa.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ruddy-all-inclusives.html  had me thinking about part of it, and realising that yet another aspect of visiting the island has changed for us.

When the children were little, we were never a family who was content to sit all day by the pool - maybe I would have liked to have done, but hubby always had the map out.  Maps were not really to be relied on totally, more of a suggestion as to where some roads would lead to!  We picked up flyers from various places and drove all over the island to find places. Setting off early with a bottle of frozen water which gradually melted on our way.  We always made sure we had drinks from it virtually every 10 mins or so. It was SO hot in those cars back then!

But it was always an adventure.  We didn't know what we would find, whether it would still be open, whether the road led onto a field (ah yes, the day we went off road at Manacor!), and where we would eat.

Nowadays everyone is touch with everyone and tries out everything that has been talked about. Information is in abundance and there is very little left that is undiscovered. No chance of a little cove that no one knows about now! What is left for us to excite our adventurous side?   A  bit too old now for extreme sports.  Now a little more sedate, we do still like driving around in an air conditioned car and pointing the camera at views and pretty villages.  But somehow the excitement bit is missing. 

Perhaps thats why we end up having a good old moan about things - its the only thing left that gets the blood boiling!!!   :o ::) ;)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

Re: The adventurous spirit
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »
So true. Nowadays everyone knows what to expect, and indeed make choices based on what to expect. Fair enough when you're spending shedloads of money to go on holiday, but convenience, comfort, endless pandering to the kids' needs (never happened in my day) have taken the excitement away. But even if you went away just to lie on a beach, at least it was different and you were never sure what you were going to.