Author Topic: The "C" word!  (Read 1580 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
The "C" word!
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »
Am I first?  Had my first email today from a local restaurant suggesting I book my table for Ch*****as!!  I've not had  my summer holiday yet!!   :o
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
Re: The "C" word!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
Wot a co-incidence ,BD

As I'm heading off to the wilds of Wyoming Wednesday for a few weeks have got your Xmas card ready to post tomorrow .

BL  ;D ;D
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »
Ah, that'll be the one with last years stamp on then!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 00:55:42 AM »
Well you really wouldn't believe it

BLT and I checked in at the Old Faithful Inn, Yellowstone Park early yesterday evening on our way onto Cody today. Old Lodge lobby completely decked out for Xmas. Choir singing the First Noel and waitresses bedecked in antler horns and waiters in Father Christmas hats giving out mulled wine and Xmas fortune cookies. They even had your illuminated nodding reindeers , Bella.

?????

When we got to our room there was a flyer on the bed inviting us to celebrate Xmas with them. Apparently the practice started back in the 1930's when the god fearing owners wanted to give the "savages " ( Native Americans) the menial workers a taste of Christian hospitality. Because the Inn is open only from May to November because of inclement winter weather they had to choose an alternative summer Xmas day. They elected for Aug 25th i.e.yesterday. A practice continued ever since.

Strange but true !!

BL  :) :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 00:57:41 AM by Bonyslad »
BonysLad

girlie in the corner

• NiƱa el tiempo extrordinaire
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:55:51 AM »
Yelllowstone Park ... Cody ... my goodness, lots of memories rolling back in.   :o 

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 09:43:44 AM »
I dont know any of these places, but if they have "C" in August, I'd like to visit!!  :D

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 16:06:41 PM »
Bella,

Most towns of any size in the States have a Christmas Store where you can buy decorations all year round. I even bought a snow shaker of the White House in their store years ago. Can you imagine Brenda allowing that at Buck House?

But as this guy explained to me " Son, an unsatisfied consumer is an unhappy American "

Kinda sums it up

BL  :) :)
BonysLad

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 16:28:18 PM »
True. There's a place Florida way called Celebration Town which is really quite scarey evidently!  We visited it a few years ago and it really freaked the kids out for some reason. I was immune to it obviously. It did things at certain times like blow out petals all over the place in spring time, leaves in Autumn, and snow at Christmas!  I love all the fun and games in the USA with the theme parks and the "You have a nice day now", but the rest are not so keen.

I do remember there were 13 of us on holiday at one point and we all went out for a Chinese meal somewhere in Florida and the waiter did the usual meet and greet spiel, starting with "Hi my name is Joe (or who ever) and I will be your server for the evening" etc etc.   When he had finished, the words just came out of my mouth " Hi, my name is Maria, and this is Margaret, Kay, Steve, John, Lucy  etc etc and we are all here celebrating blah blah blah"  Well!  You should have seen his face!  Priceless!!  Great fun!  The other thing I remember is there were usually 8 of us queueing for rides and they always ask how many of you.  OH the amount of times they took the micky out of us saying Eight!!  They sounded more cockney than we did!  We tried SO hard to say it really posh, but they still said "AYTE?" back to us laughing!  We ended up trying to say it like eeet to confuse them!!   Fun times!  ::)

My Flickr Photos

tonsyl

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 19:12:12 PM »
Every one to his/her own so if you like your "C" in August, you have a nice time. BUT, for those of us old enough to remember when the "C" started no earlier than the 20th. December and you went shopping with your Mum and Dad on "C" Eve, the time actually mean't something. Buy the tree and get the decorations (probably only paper chains that you'd made at school) up, no lights mind, o  "C" Eve then on the day itself, give the milkman a drink and a carrot/sugar lump for his horse (yes horse and cart in London), give the postman a drink when he called and maybe get the bus to see friends in the afternoon ( yes a bus service too on "C" day). Everyone mean't it when they said Merry "C" and you didn't have this super marketed, re-branded totally false smile on faces which really says, conned you you sucker, like you have now. Wind back the clock when the event mean't something very much more genuinely than it does now. You all have a good one, when ever it comes.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 19:39:12 PM »
Ah yes. I remember it well - or the conversations about how it was with mum and dad!!  ;D  (Im Joking!!) 

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 04:50:07 AM »
True. There's a place Florida way called Celebration Town which is really quite scarey evidently!  We visited it a few years ago and it really freaked the kids out for some reason. I was immune to it obviously. It did things at certain times like blow out petals all over the place in spring time, leaves in Autumn, and snow at Christmas! 

Bella, Know Celebration well. It was / is a "village " created by the Mouse to extract even more dollars out of folk. Very high real estate values for those that live there but quite nice to grab a coffee at if you are in the area. As you say creates artificial "Bon Homie " at key points of the year meaning Halloween  and Thanksgiving here in the USA . Don't think your reindeer would go down a bomb there
as a lot of folk there don't celebrate Xmas , nudge, nudge , wink , wink !

BL  ;) ;) ;)
BonysLad