Author Topic: LOST IN TRANSLATION  (Read 1349 times)

mama mia

LOST IN TRANSLATION
« on: November 14, 2013, 18:53:52 PM »
There we were, sitting on Joan Olivers doorstep, having tried communicating on every level without success.
Joan Oliver is the Catholic parish priest for Alcudia and surrounding area.  Our daughter would like to marry at La Ermita next year
and its necessary to have the priests 'permission' before we can proceed with arrangements for an Anglican blessing ceremony.

So, the only way to achieve this was to sit and wait, which we did.  The priest eventually came home (well he had to at some point)  and we were invited in to his study.
Now, this is where the fun begins.  Trying to communicate with limited Spanish and discuss religious matters requires  a lot of gesticulation and a bit of google translate but we managed to convey our request.  We then understand that the church is booked every Saturday throughout 2014 for wedding ceremonies, so we went back to the drawing board and have subsequently emailed and telephoned requesting a weekday at ANYTIME during September 2014.  Well, to date we have received no response.  Even the one and only Anglican Minister on the island is unable to help us, even our Spanish friends have been unable to contact this elusive priest.  So .... thats one dream thats now going to be shelved.  Pity.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: LOST IN TRANSLATION
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »
Oh what a shame mm. It does take a LONG time to organise things sometimes. It took us 18 months to organise our 25th wedding anniversary blessing with the English Vicar, but at least it only took two - or could have been 3 - visits, plus a lot of emails!
I cant help with any of your problems on this I'm afraid, but you could keep trying, as well has having another wonderful dream to follow - there are many wonderful places for a wedding to be held, I am sure you will find somewhere else that will be THE one.  Will keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep us updated incase any of the expats have a brainwave.  :-*
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 09:59:07 AM »
Not much to add to Bella's post MM other than to mention there is a wedding planner working in PP. I think she has posted her details on here but I'm on my phone and can't seem to access much to help you. You may not need her full services but she may beable to come up with a couple of ideas for you to consider. Good luck and hope it all goes well!
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:17:15 AM »
I wonder if it is this one

http://www.millepapillons.com/

Might be a good idea to use professional wedding planner on this occasion and let them do all the hard work!