Author Topic: Anglada Camarasa  (Read 960 times)

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
Anglada Camarasa
« on: February 23, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
I think I have fallen in love with Anglada Camarasa!   ;D

Yes, I know he has passed on and there is a bust of him at the start of the Pine Walk and that the pedestrianised area along the front is named after him......but other than that, I had no idea of what he was all about. 

Then some kind soul posted a photo of one of his paintings on FB of the cliffs at Formentor and I was hooked....

Some fabulous paintings if you google his name and look at the images...with some of his paintings selling for £200k +

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: Anglada Camarasa
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 14:27:02 PM »
Stunning colours!

And just because I am having a break at the moment; thanks to wiki;

Bronze bust in Puerto Pollensa
 Hermenegildo Anglada Camarasa (i Anglada Hermenegild Camarasa in Catalan ), also called Hermen ( Barcelona September 11 of 1871 ~ Puerto Pollensa July 7 of 1959 ), was a painter Spanish Catalan , outstanding representative of post-impressionism .

Hermenegildo Anglada Camarasa studied the art of painting first with Moragas Thomas (1837-1906) and then with Modest Urgell in the Escola de Belles Arts de Barcelona .  In the early twentieth century established his studio in Paris .  At the outbreak of World War I , he settled in Mallorca .  During the Spanish Civil War practically took refuge in the Monastery of Santa Maria de Montserrat .  Between 1939 and 1947 he was exiled in France after returning to Mallorca.

In 1901 after participating in the International Exhibition of Dresden (where he met with Ignacio Zuloaga and Iturrino Francisco ) won world renown.  He was awarded several international exhibitions, highlighting the Gold Medals in the Venice Biennale in 1907 and Buenos Aires in 1910.  These achievements allowed her to teach several meritorious students from different countries (including the Argentines can be counted Tito Cittadini and Raul Mazza or the Uruguayan José Cuneo ).  Anglada Camarasa was admired by the Russian writer Maxim Gorky and theater director Vsevolod Meyerhold , to the point that the second place in St. Petersburg a stage based on the work of the Catalan painter.

Much of his work is attached to modernism and, while corresponding to this artistic style, the color values ​​in it are subject to the sumptuary and ornamental grounds with plenty of orientalizantes.  In this case Anglada Camarasa is still a representative of the Belle Époque , but I knew accompany the evolution of art in the first half of the twentieth century moderately approaching the vanguards of the century without abandoning certain touch impressionist .  Among the vanguard elements found in his work are the artificial light treatment and the use of dense fillings that have characterized (the esmaltismo Anglada Camarasa).

The uniqueness of his work was reinforced when in 1913 began his residency in the islands Balearic far as he accompanied his outstanding disciple Tito Cittadini , and was followed by the Majorcan painter Joan Fuster Bonnin .  In 1916 was founded by them School Pollensa .

In painting Anglada Camarasa different periods can be distinguished:
 Catalan Era (1885-1894).  It begins in the landscape, naturalistic style.
 First Parisian period (1894-1904).  His painting evolved from the previous verdant landscaping defendant colorful Parisian nightlife.  Is dedicated to representing gallantry Paris through blurred figures in the night scenes of the Belle Epoque, also capturing the ravages of the drug in women and the new electric lighting.  Also paints scenes of gypsy life and equestrian theme.
 Second Parisian period (1904-1914).  Scenes of Paris give way to the Valencian folklore performances, addressing these issues with great exuberance and colorful.  It also performs sophisticated portraits, which accompanies the female figures with shawls and floral motifs, and represents some nudity with sensitivity and sensuality.
 Majorcan Era (1914-1936).  It focuses on the landscapes of Mallorca.  Represents farmers and coastal environments, away from his paintings the human figure.  He also spends a number of fish and sea bottoms, represented with vivid colors and sheens.
 Time of Exile (1936-1947).  It fundamentalente he paints still lifes of flowers.

Back in Mallorca, returns to the landscape theme, although it takes a few works.

He died in 1959 in Puerto de Pollensa ( Mallorca ).

In 1967 the house was opened to the public as a private museum.  In 1991 his work preserved in the museum was acquired by the Fundació La Caixa.  Currently his work is on display at the headquarters of the Fundació La Caixa in Palma de Mallorca, known as the Grand Hotel.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 14:29:43 PM by Belladonna »
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 15:13:11 PM »
Oh thanks for that Bella. 

Old Hermen was truly a great painter by the looks and sounds of it.  I will think of him a bit  more knowledgeably when I walk along the front in Puerto Pollensa now. :-)

And a trip down to Palma to have a look at his paintings in the La Caixa building is definitely called for now.  :)

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 13:58:13 PM »
And here is his bust at the start of the Pine Walk.