Author Topic: Car Hire  (Read 11568 times)

Chemical Dave

Car Hire
« on: June 26, 2011, 18:21:21 PM »
Hi Guys

i am planning my next trip out and I dont want a hire car for the whole visit. Do you know if it is possile to hire a car at the airport, keep it for a few days and return it somewhere in the in the Port?. I suspect Alcudia may be an option for drop off but any advice is welcome.

Dave

Sun Properties

Re: Car Hire
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 19:29:42 PM »
Yes - Vanrell in Alcudia often seem to offer the best prices  :) Also worth trying Hiper as they have an office in the Port. Others tend to be expensive for one ways but also depends upon the time of year and availability.

http://www.rentacarvanrell.com/cercador/index.php?i=eng - Vanrell

http://www.hiperrentacar.com/portada.php3?lang=2 - Hiper

Since posting (hence edit) I noticed that Holiday Autos also allow for an airport pick-up and PP drop off. Dave read my other post in 'Help' re discount links and codes for HA.

SP
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 19:38:42 PM by Sun Properties »

Chemical Dave

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 19:10:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice SP. I will check these out, then PM you as requested.

Dave

Kate1

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:01:03 AM »
I would have thought Motos Formentor would also allow you to pick up in the airport and drop off in the Port, since their main office is in the Port. The big advantage with them is that they don't have an airport office so you don't have to go through that horrendous queuing process - they meet you off the plane, do the paperwork and off you go - takes about 10 minutes, as opposed to two hours! We have used them for several years and never had a problem.

Sun Properties

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:04:08 AM »
I would have thought Motos Formentor would also allow you to pick up in the airport and drop off in the Port, since their main office is in the Port.

Yes Formentor offer a one way service see http://www.rentacarformentor.com/en/ and like Kate says little wasted time at the airport - same goes for Hiper/Hasso/Terry/Sixt in my experience.

Sun Properties

Car Hire - Insurance Excess
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 14:16:21 PM »
Probably speaking to the converted again but just in case! Most car hire firms will have an excess insofar as if you have a bump/scratch etc you will be obliged to pay the first ..... 800 euro in some cases when renting at Palma. You will be invited to pay an extra cost (excess insurance) to cover this plus the chance of loosing your keys/windscreen damage/tyre problems. Most operatives (particularly on the airport desks) work on a commission basis if they sell you this extra cover which, depending upon the firm, costs on average about 3 euro per day. So for a two week holiday you will pay around £40. There are a number of firms that will give you the equivalent cover for a whole year at a lesser price! Best known is Insurance4carhire (£38), but others are protectyourbubble (£38), carhireexcess(£39), questor (£42)etc. You will have to do a bit of searching to find these prices but PM me if you cannot find.

SP

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 14:24:51 PM »
Have to say SP your flipping good at this! :)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

girlie in the corner

• Niña el tiempo extrordinaire
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »
Just thought I'd mention my nephews experience of car hire at Palma.  He arrived at 1:30 am, Tuesday morning, without booking a car (he told me he'd already booked it, although not sure I would have collected him at that time anyway!!!).  He went straight to an empty Hertz desk and asked the price - 60€ a day.  The agency next door shouted that he would do a deal at 45€, so the Hertz desk undercut him and offered 40€ a day.  This was despite the fact that some desks had signs up saying they had no cars left.  Bargains still to be had then.   ;)

tommo

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 11:45:22 AM »
Has anybody any experience of Record Car Hire? Have just had confirmation via Jet2 of our car hire deal for the end of this month, which I must say was very well priced and they are using Record, who we have never hired through before.

Chemical Dave

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »
Tommo

I have never used them myself but they always seem to be busy with huge queues, so I expect you may have a wait.  Hopefully it will be quieter by the time you get out.

Dave

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 13:06:15 PM »
Think you will need to be very quick off the plane to get to the Record desk to avoid the queue tommo! Hope you have your running shoes ready! ;) Everyone loves a bargain, but queuing is the price we pay!

My Flickr Photos

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 13:23:47 PM »
Has anybody any experience of Record Car Hire? Have just had confirmation via Jet2 of our car hire deal for the end of this month, which I must say was very well priced and they are using Record, who we have never hired through before.

Record have the advantage of being 'on airport' but the queues have got worse over the years.  We waited 2 hours the last time we used them - even though we had made haste to get to their desk.
Their cars are often not very well valeted (if at all) and you will be required to purchase a full tank of fuel when you get to the desk so you need to factor that cost in - as well as the extra insurance.  You are expected to bring the car back empty when you take it back to the airport.  The final crunch for us was when one of their cars died on us - and we discovered that Record do not supply safety hi-viz jackets or warning triangles.  When querying this with Record they said that we could have hired these items at extra cost.    ???  So, beware of all of the hidden extras!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 14:58:23 PM »
Oh no! Not a very good start tommo!  :-\ Perhpas you should have a back up plan - just incase!

My Flickr Photos

Kate1

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 15:12:21 PM »
We used Record for many years and never had any problems with reliability - have to say I also never experienced a car that wasn't clean. But as Mary says because they are so competitively priced the queues have got much worse over the years. A couple of years ago we said enough was enough and switched to Motos Formentor. However, you might be lucky and not have to queue for that long at the end of September - it's when several flights have landed together at busy times that the nightmare at the Record desk starts. My husband always used to sprint straight to the Record desk rather than waiting at the baggage carousel (leaving me to juggle all the suitcases, two luggage trolleys and the kids in pushchairs, naturally!) - you might just be able to get a bit closer to the front of the queue that way...

tommo

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 15:36:35 PM »
Thanks folks for the quick responses, maybe we'll have some grief at the airport but it will be a Wednesday afternoon so may not be too bad. Having said that, last time we waited an hour and a quarter at the Avis desk so they all get bad days, some more than others by the looks of it !!
I noticed the fuel policy but we're past masters at judging just how much fuel we need to get from PP to the airport and normally manage it on "fresh air" for the last mile or so.................we'll get caught out one day, no doubt. Thanks again for the comments, will post a report on the company and its' car in due course.