Author Topic: Car Hire  (Read 11463 times)

Sun Properties

Re: Car Hire
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »
Still finding either Hertz or Europcar the best bet for us in November at the moment. Holiday Autos do often use Record for their cars remember, so make sure you ask them NOT to!

DoYouSpain have come out best for our November trip ~ only question is do I upgrade from a Golf (£40) to a soft top (£80)  :D

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 13:19:22 PM »
Oooo! Now theres a question! Soft top in November. You could be lucky, there agaiin, you may need your brolly up INSIDE the car! :o
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

EmilyJo

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 18:08:13 PM »
In september we used Doyouspain - had 6 days for around 65-69 euros -total !!- can't remember exactly but no queues  8)- next door Record queue was forever ??? couldn't believe how fast it was for us :o but we did have to pay for the  full diesel - used just over half.  :-\ In July we used Hyper - quite a performance as some  of our group of 9 didn't think we should go in the mini bus and there was rather a comical  and bizarre situation -  the italian lady in the Hyper office thought we were all completely bonkers ??? - having said that they were good cars and it was empty return with no bother at the end and there were quite a few bumps and bangs they seemed to ignore.  Last year it was a nightmare with Hertz - can't even describe it  ??? :o >:(- but we'll never use them again - I suppose like so many things it's the luck of the draw, personal experience  etc.  Good luck and enjoy your trip EMJ  8) ;D
Life is not a rehearsal - but sometimes I wish it was ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/salroma

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
Re: Car Hire ~ 25% discount
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 16:22:20 PM »
Log onto Holiday Autos site using ..............

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneaccount ..............

then place code VCUKOCT10 in PROMO BOX.

Link will give you 15% off and code a further 10% i.e. 25%

SP
Thanks for all the good suggestions for car hire.  ;D   I had booked with DoYouSpain but they have failed to respond to any of my further enquiries by email so have had to let that one go. 
We have now booked with Holiday Autos and have managed to get a small 4 door hire car for just under 80 euros (including all the extra insurances) and on a full/full fuel basis.  Their fuel policy is based on rentals of less than 6 days so that suits us as we are only there for 4 1/2 days this time.  The booking is with Hyper who are off airport so not my usual choice but we'll see how it works out.  Fingers crossed - and hope that the weather stays good for us as well!

Sun Properties

Car Hire ~ Hiper
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 16:38:11 PM »
Hiper are one of my favourites partially due to the fact they are off airport. No queueing at the airport and even if there are a few people waiting at C'an Pastilla you are at least sat down in an air-con office and there is a drinks machine. In my experience not worth looking around for their rep at arrivals - if you see their yellow mini-bus just head straight for it. They give you a small ticket (like a supermarket deli) which establishes your position in any queue. Nice staff, cars can be a bit dated but appear to be well serviced. Often given free upgrade if you use them a few times. 2nd driver normally comes free and if any problems they have an office in the Port - from experience they will always let you have a full>full fuel policy if you ask but this request is better made by email before you leave UK. Other benefit is (if you book direct) they don't take payment until you arrive to collect thus cancellations are free. If you book through an agent (Holiday Autos or similar) best not to pay for second driver if payment requested as Hiper will offer this anyway for free as part of their service.
SP
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 16:54:19 PM by Sun Properties »

Sun Properties

Re: Car Hire ~ 25% discount
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 17:11:14 PM »

.......(including all the extra insurances) ........

Just a reminder for the future that it often works out cheaper to take out an annual policy in the UK (c £40) to cover the excess insurance/tyre & windscreen damage/lost keys etc particularly if you have over 14 days holiday P.A. in Europe.

tommo

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »
Just back and a comment about Record Car Hire.        ..................Well the car got us round and about, didn't break down but was very dirty inside and out. 35,000kms on the clock so fairly new but with battle scars to show for a hard life. Looked in the engine compartment and I doubt the bonnet had been opened since new. Record took the right hump when I pointed out the battle scars and wanted them recorded on the rental agreement before I took the car out, they didn't like it when I asked about the "now legal requirement" for high viz vests and suggested that I buy some or hire them from their office. Oh, also there was no radio aerial but the kind lady in the office told me to go and take one from any other car I could find a similar one on!! The good point was no waiting at the airport, straight to the desk and straight out.......amazing. Different when we returned last night, a very long queue at their desk then. Didn't trouble us though, took set of photos of car (just in case) and dumped keys.
Would I use them again, for very cheap deal......maybe, for a decent car........no.

Sun Properties

Car Hire ~ Record
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 12:19:35 PM »
Tommo - sounds typical of Record and often, as you are no doubt aware, if you book through a broker you have no chance of knowing who the rental car firm will be until you print out the voucher and Record are often the chosen firm as they are generally cheap. Think you did well to escape with a short queue at the airport on arrival - 35k km on a hire car (22k miles) isn't that bad on a hire car ~ most UK firms run them up to 40k but without the Mallorcan 'battle scars'  :)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 14:14:19 PM »
Thanks for the update tommo. Afraid they would probably be our last choice, you just cant rely on them really can you.

My Flickr Photos

Chemical Dave

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2011, 19:19:41 PM »
I agree with al SP said about Hiper.  We used them in September this year with no problems. Good value and no problems.

Dave

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2011, 21:58:44 PM »
Well that's good news about Hiper car rental.  ;D

Where do you take the car back to at the end of the rental period?  I can't see anything in the rental agreement about that bit.
I think that in the past you dropped the car off outside the departures level, where staff in yellow tops would collect it from you.  Is the same system still in operation?

Sun Properties

Car Hire ~ Hiper
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 08:05:14 AM »
Where do you take the car back to at the end of the rental period?  I can't see anything in the rental agreement about that bit.

No Mary you take it back to their office in C'an Pastilla (they give you a map when you collect) - it is quicker to get back to the airport (mini-bus) than when you arrive due to the one way system - it takes 5 minutes at most plus they drop you off right outside departures. Propbably just as quick as dropping a car off in the multi-storey car park and walking over. Turn off for their C'an Pastilla office is one junction (only 1000 m) after the airport if coming from Palma direction.

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 11:39:15 AM »
Thanks a lot SP!  Handy to know that in advance!
Not keen on one way systems, so wish me luck!!  ;D

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »
Well the booking with Hiper went well. 

Their yellow mini-bus was waiting outside the terminal when we arrived, near the main bus stop, and we were taken to their office straightaway.

The procedure for getting the car was done quickly and professionally.  There was only one person ahead of me in the queue  :).  They gave us a free upgrade to a Seat Leon which was clean inside and out, very comfortable, had all the required safety equipment and, oh yes,  the car also had a bit of poke (gosh, I hope I can say that!  ;)
The good bit about Hiper was that if you take the car for less than 6 days you can take it on a full/full basis so that suited us.  They took a deposit for the fuel (77 euros) but then refunded the money on my card when I returned the car.

We found the Hiper office easily on the return to the airport - just take the Cala Estancia slip road  on the airport approach  road, turn left at the junction at the end and then the Hiper office is just a few metres along that road on the left.

The only slight grizzle I would have is that they seemed understaffed at the Returns desk and all the paperwork seemed to be taking an age.  Each clerk does personally check the cars, which is fine, but it did take quite a long time - so don't leave your timings too fine if you use Hiper on your next trip.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 11:37:34 AM »
Thanks Mary, very helpful. And yes, I will allow you to mention the poke in your car! ;)

My Flickr Photos