Author Topic: Weever fish in PP?  (Read 758 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mary Lorenzo

  • Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2124
  • Pine Walk
Weever fish in PP?
« on: July 04, 2014, 19:48:39 PM »
Has anyone had any experience of weever fish in Puerto Pollensa before?  Someone has posted a hand written notice just in front of my place stating that a member of their family has just been stung by a weever fish ie on the each in front of Little Italy.
I know it can be extremely painful but I have never heard of the weer fish being a hazard in the port before.
Any forum members know any more about this?

Belladonna

  • Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 5286
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: Weever fish in PP?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 13:03:12 PM »
Googled and found there are a few poisonous fish around, the weever being one of them!

Quote;

Poisonous Fish of Majorca


Updated 17/03/2014
 


There are not many speicies of poisonous fish that are commonly found in the waters around Majorca, however there are a few that you should be aware of before venturing into the sea or going fishing.

Weever fish (AraƱa)

Live in sandy beds beneath the surface, they are easily captured, but be very careful when handling. The thorns on the first dorsal and areas around the gills are poisonous! They can cause severe prolonged pain, fever, vomiting, slowing of heart rate, difficulty breathing and in some rare cases even death. Return to the sea without touching it.

While underwater diving / snorkelling, if you sea Weever fish, swimming in a wavy motion and with the dorsal open, you should swim away immediately. It is preparing to attack.
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Mary Lorenzo

  • Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2124
  • Pine Walk
Re: Weever fish in PP?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 14:33:36 PM »
OMG!  Thanks Bella!
I've never heard of this fish or seen them before....and thought it was more likely to have be a nasty jellyfish sting....