Author Topic: Palma de Mallorca Airport  (Read 1295 times)

Flyer

Palma de Mallorca Airport
« on: July 30, 2014, 15:38:00 PM »
Some facts and figures in this airline article re PMI airport I thought may be of interest to some particularly the extent of the seasonal fluctuation and the number of new routes.

http://www.anna.aero/2014/07/30/palma-de-mallorca-looking-smaller-markets-drive-growth/?utm_source=anna.aero+newsletter&utm_campaign=e3170f975f-anna_nl_300714&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ecdbf41674-e3170f975f-86887609
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

tonsyl

Re: Palma de Mallorca Airport
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 17:01:11 PM »
Interesting article. Coincidentally , I was looking at my flight radar on Sunday morning and saw no less than 17 flights from Germany all tracking down to PMI in a long line and it was not yet 8am! Not only do they account for the highest passenger loading but they get to Mallorca first. On the subject of The airport, the new development around security and duty free shops works well, but the crowds in Terminal A are still just as chaotic. Looking at the numbers, you can see why!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 09:15:44 AM »
Very interesting link, thanks flyer. Will put it as a sticky for the moment as I think its pretty relevant to look at for the summer!  :)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Cath

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 14:51:58 PM »
we flew back last Saturday and normally our flight is 10am and the airport is bedlam. This year EJ have changed the Saturday flight ..now arriving 4pm and leaving 4:40pm...I was dreading the airport at that time of day but what a surprise...no queue at check in...usual shambles at security though..we went straight to terminal A and it was empty. I thought something had happened and no one had told us  :o..there was a gap of around 2 hrs or more before the next flight and then 3 or 4 were leaving between 4 and 4:45.. 

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 23:16:40 PM »
With all the problems at Gatwick airport, its a welcome surprise when things go right anywhere else!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

Flyer

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:37:53 AM »
With all the problems at Gatwick airport, its a welcome surprise when things go right anywhere else!  ;)

There is a bit more to this than meets the eye. The only airline really effected in terms of flights to PMI from LGW in respect of the baggage handler problem is Monarch. They signed a contract with Swissport that they had to give them 120 days notice if 95% of the bags were not on the carousel within 55 minutes. Personally I think an hour is too long to wait for bags and who signs a contract they cannot get out of for 3 months? The bag handlers are paid peanuts however they receive the same hourly rate whenever they work so that is why the problem always occurs over the weekend - who wants to work at night over the weekend. The airlines blame the baggage handlers but it is the airlines who appoint these firms - basically budget airlines (we all enjoy cheap fares) have only themselves to blame. So Swissport reduce their numbers and a new/changed firm come in however they continue to employ the zero contract guys who have left Swissport as they have the necessary airside credentials required. Luckily Gatwick themselves are employing extra people but they are not allowed to touch bags in the plane hold ( ???) but they will be permitted to take off the trailer and put on the carousel - why? They (Gatwick) don't want their name tarnished whilst they are pushing for a new runway.
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

tonsyl

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 16:05:29 PM »
Latest news on the Beeb is that Monarch have now terminated their contracts with Swissport. I don't know how many airports Swissport operate in, is Gatwick the only one with problems?

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 16:32:41 PM »
Not sure, but guess who flew into Gatwick on Monarch from Egypt after a 5 hour flight arriving at midnight? Yep, along with 14 other flights who all had to wait for a minimum of two and a half hours for baggage to be unloaded. Gatwick even that weekend blamed Swissport over the tanoy. They weren't all Monarch flights I have to say, but they were all very annoyed and stressed out!

My Flickr Photos

Flyer

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 17:50:03 PM »
Latest news on the Beeb is that Monarch have now terminated their contracts with Swissport. I don't know how many airports Swissport operate in, is Gatwick the only one with problems?

Yes - as I said though tonsyl their contract means Monarch have to continue using them for another 3 months and due to the airlines being 'tight' whoever they select (and bear in mind this will be starting in the much quieter winter period) will initially perform well then the decline sets in. Manchester also has Swissport problems but not as extensive as LGW. Monarch use Menzies at my 'local' - Birmingham.

tonsyl

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 20:59:18 PM »
Probably me hearing only half the news item because I would have bet the Beeb said words to the effect of immediately. Now I read the transcript on the web they do clearly state the 120 days termination period. Looks like bad news all round, especially for the passengers coming into LGW in the near future. Up here and at East Midlands (the 2 we use) I couldn't tell you who does the handling, all I know is that normally we have no problems. Make a note to look see when we next fly!!

Flyer

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »
BA to increase Heathrow > Palma frequency in 2016

British Airways are increasing the number of flights from Heathrow > Palma > Heathrow in summer 2016.

Don't think you can afford these? Well have a good look before you decide to easyJet or Ryanair as deals are sometimes available.

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2019026&c=setreg&region=2

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 10:43:05 AM »
Excellent news!  Thanks for posting Flyer!  :)

tonsyl

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 16:00:38 PM »
We are going out for San Antoni on a BA flight (operated by Iberia Express) and costwise, very competitive .  Looked at the April flights and most beat the "cattle truck" operators by a mile when you consider that a BA operated flight includes 23kg baggage, seat allocation and on line check in, not to mention a decent meal with drinks. Came back to LCY last week, brilliant service and less than Easyjet and Ryanair when all things taken into account. You just have to seek out the bargain dates because the cheaper fares go quickly.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 16:02:25 PM by tonsyl »