Author Topic: A quick report.  (Read 818 times)

tonsyl

A quick report.
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:32:55 AM »
Back home and, at the moment the sun is shining but there has been an awful lot of the wet stuff here in the last 3 weeks. As everyone knows, the weather in PP has been lovely, almost too hot for us, I guess it's an age thing! However, a quick list off goods and not so goods that we encountered in the last few weeks. Firstly, food, most important to us all and, as usual top marks in our books go to Centric, Cellar la Parra, Brisa Marina and El Messon, not in any particular order I might add. A couple of others we tried for snacks, Ambrosia and Cafe Rumbo both we would go back to and, of course, the Kiosk for Hamburgers after the Hustlers on a Friday night!!
 As far as travel in concerned, the flights with Monarch from Leeds were excellent, we always take the extra legroom seats and have a meal, the latter this rotation were excellent.
I wish I could say the same for the car hire, yes, you've guessed it, Goldcar. Used them numerous times and always been well pleased with the service, cars and price but this time, and we're not alone, they were absolute rubbish. They try to "lie" you into taking their excess insurance by using threats, saying that if you already have your own, theirs is the only one they recognise. If you don't buy theirs and anything happens, accident or mechanical wise, the responsibility is yours so they want a hefty deposit either by several hundreds of Euros in cash or, a credit card. I heard a deposit of several thousand euros being demanded by one clerk although I don't know if it was paid. The service at the airport was slow and the car we got, was mechanically unsound, a fact I didn't realise until a few days into the rental. I believe that they do not check the cars before rental, simply refuel them and put them back on the run and is that IF there is a mechanical failure whilst the vehicle is out, the renter gets the blame and is forced to cough up under the aforementioned threats.
Just a couple of quick thoughts and now we start the countdown to the next visit.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: A quick report.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:01:22 AM »
Thanks for that tonsyl. Weather still looking good for us next week, so packing maybe ok, but will still check the long range forecast on Sunday! This car hire problem never seems to get any better no matter what time of year. A company that you have stuck to for many years can suddenly throw a curve ball and make you wonder if you will ever use them again, then you do anyway and they are brilliant again! No consistency for most of them I feel, and its even worse when you feel you are being deliberately misled and ripped off when its not cheap in the first place!
Such a shame we will have missed you both this visit, certainly love our long morning coffees and chats putting the world to rights!  Trust you are all refreshed and batteries recharged! x
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:12:20 PM by Belladonna »
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:40:50 AM »
Thanks for the updates Tonsyl. 
Will def put El Meson on the list of places to try now :-P   Centric and Celler la Parra are also firm favourites.

Goldcar firmly off my Christmas card list too!   We have been using http://www.hiperrentacar.com/en/ for a while now......very good service and reasonable prices - and not one raised voice in their office so that must be a good sign!

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 21:10:55 PM »
Tony, great catching up with you and Sylvia . Hope you enjoyed your final days here in PP? Menorca was great and highly recommended . Amazing just two hours away but very different , so Spanish in Ciutadellla . A lot cheaper than here but very good quality.

BL  :) ;)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

tonsyl

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 13:26:05 PM »
Good to see you too BL and, yes, we did have a good last few days, rounding off an excellent three weeks. Must talk more about Menorca, might be worth a two centre holiday, a week or so there and the same in PP.