Author Topic: Josep Ca Vostra  (Read 2764 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Josep Ca Vostra
« on: November 18, 2014, 14:17:43 PM »
A little addition to the chat we had with Josep. I was asked to keep it secret until now. Josep is moving out of the port as rents have become ... unattractive ! He had the choice of two premises, and has chosen to take over the Tango  Ca  Vostra premises !  Very excited for him and Lucy, although there is a bit of work to do before they open, hopefully in February, but maybe a little later.
A big challenge to take on, but one which his heart told him to take! Good luck Josep, and see you soon!   :-*
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 19:59:48 PM by Belladonna »
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

tonsyl

Re: Joseph Ca Vostra
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
BD, if I am right, we're talking about the place down by the beach where Tango moved to a few years back. is that so?  Sorry, but I cannot see that as being a good move overall. OK rent may be far less but the foot flow will be greatly reduced on a day to day basis, not to mention that tourists don't go that far in their wanderings. OK for those that know about the place but if it were any good, why are Tengo pulling out and coming back into town?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:23:41 AM by tonsyl »

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »
Ah, the voice of scepticism ! (and one which niggles at us too to be honest) I know that the Tango/Trio swap over is a return to Tango roots now that Trio is retiring. The rents where Can Josep is in the port have risen unbelievably - goodness knows who will be able to take over that large area - and Josep has had a "good deal" on moving to Ca Vostra. In theory. As you say, time will tell with footfall and general support. Josep has looked at Can Cuarassa doing well, and Hotel Llenaire the same. Both well off the beaten track. He knows he needs a USP to make it attractive for people to make the effort to see him, and does have a few very good ideas. The properties he had the option of in the port were in the square, and really needed a great deal of update to get them turned into a restaurant, and also there would be a lot of competition with well known up and running restaurants there already, which was one of his concerns.
I know that the Can Cuarassa choice is definitely heart lead rather than head for him. Its a huge risk in many ways, and all we can do is "wait and see"! We had a long talk with him, with many ins and outs, pros and cons discussed. He feels he is young enough to take the chance and push himself - and Lucy - at this time of their lives, to make a bigger name for himself. You have to admire his determination!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

tonsyl

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:37:42 PM »
I hear what you say and cannot fault them for trying to improve their business, it's just the location they've chosen. I think that C'an Curassa and Hotel Llenaire set a higher bar for them to achieve but there's nothing wrong with ambition. I do not know the Tango/Trio set up but I would have thought that if the current Tango location was any good, they would have stayed and increased their presence by taking over the Trio operation in the town as well. Whatever, Josep's hand has been forced by the costs now being demanded by the greedy property owners, who, as time goes on will probably succeed in killing the Port. How many times have we seen demands being made for increased rent resulting in businesses closing down and empty properties standing idle for some time?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:42:15 PM by tonsyl »

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:58:09 PM »
Be interesting to see the figures but if the current rent isa significant proportion of the turnover he can afford to take a significant reduction in turnover in the new place it stand still.

Do the math

BL  :) :)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

tonsyl

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 15:10:51 PM »
Agreed BL but when I thought about that I also thought about the trading. Where the restaurant is at the moment, there is a high level of passing trade during the day. I've stayed close by and the place appears always to have people in for coffees, including many locals and they appear to do a brisk lunch/snack service. Given that, because it is a tourist resort, some/much of this is passing "impulse" trade, there is little similar at Ca Vostra. I would think the evening service will also be affected by the location but more people will travel for a meal at night than in the day so, to a lesser extent. Just a couple of thoughts.

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 17:53:08 PM »
Agree , Tonysl cos have only been to Tango once at that location ( and then only cos friends insisted we went there )

BL  :)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »
All true. We do only use Can Cuarassa for our special, dress up meals, not lunches or pop in drinks, although we do use Hotel Llenaire for afternoon tea and cake as well as evening meals.

One of the downsides mentioned was concerning the view in Ca Vostra. Again, great for lunches, not so much for evening meals. Same "problem" for Can Cuarassa and Llenaire though, and they do ok! But as you say, at the moment, they are in a totally different band from the one Josep is used to, so it will need a lot of thought and planning to give it the edge.

Another idea re the taxi fare, perhaps if you show the receipt, Josep could reimburse you!  ;)
May try that one when we go to Soller!  ;D

My Flickr Photos

animagic21

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 14:40:19 PM »
Hi...I've found my password again!! Yes, only time will tell. Josep is such a perfectionist, he will want everything to be totally A1. I do hope that he won't suffer health wise. I admire him for having a change of direction.....in more than one sense!! Can't wait to see him again & sample the re-vamped premises!!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 15:00:32 PM »
Well done! Can you come here and find Steves phone if you're on a roll!  ;D  Josep really does have a lot of ideas buzzing round his head, shame you weren't with us to talk to him at the same time. Will tell you more of what I know when we see you in January - as long as I can get out of this Jury service which clashes with our dates would you believe it! There are still some ideas that he doesn't want published yet - just incase they change!
I don't think Joseph Ca Vostra ( ;)) will be up and running in January unfortunately, he is aiming for a dummy run in February though. We can still take a visit up together though with Cath and hubby and see if we can blag a coffee if anyone is in!  ;D

My Flickr Photos

animagic21

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 11:20:37 AM »
That all sounds extremely interesting.....how annoying that you've been called for Jury Service!
Could be tricky...but good luck as you will be so looking forward to Jan. Yes, we'll all have to have a nice, leisurely walk to Tango & hope Josep is there. I did have his mobile as we were going to meet 2 years ago, but lost my numbers when my phone was stolen. Talking of phones, I've tried 'visualisation' but can't locate Steve's! Have you checked all coat pockets? I found one there once! These are really exciting times for Josep & Lucie & we're looking forward to seeing the end product!!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 15:03:38 PM »
Thanks animagic! Easily found once he actually thought about where he last answered it! Looking forward to our trip up the road to see Josep.

My Flickr Photos

Cath

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 19:19:16 PM »
oh I do hope you can defer jury service..a friend of mine did when they  provided details of flights etc....we will hav e to have a group outing to Josep Ca Vostra  ;D

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 19:32:49 PM »
Fingers crossed, multiple times! Hope Josep can do mulled wine as we are all walking!!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

tonsyl

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 19:46:17 PM »
I should think you are, it's only 5 minutes from your pad isn't it?