Author Topic: Last of the Poppies  (Read 1257 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Last of the Poppies
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »

After seeing the installation of the poppies at the Tower of London, I was surprised at the extent of emotion it caused me. I had, like many others, marvelled at the installation, and took photos all round the tower. We then crossed the road to take a walk and find something to eat, and I actually broke down and sobbed. Totally unexpected and did feel a bit of an idiot trying to hide in a corner whilst Steve patted my back with the usual "there, there" sympathy!
It was then that we decided to volunteer. The installation for the summer months was of course totally full, but we were able to get a shift to help with the deinstallation.
Its today, this afternoon. It will be cold, very muddy, but so far, no rain predicted, and even some sunshine! I feel it is right and fitting for the weather to be like this, and it will be very emotional for the 200 of us taking up the last of the poppies. At least we will be dressed for it, and it is only for 3 hours. Nothing compared to the hardships our soldiers went through. We are excited to begin, and no doubt will be thankfull when we get back home tonight, and straight into a hot shower! But for all of today - we will remember them.
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: Last of the Poppies
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:06:22 AM »
Well done you! I think certain things do hit a chord don't they. Emotion isn't a bad thing at all it shows you care! We were lucky to see the poppies on remembrance day. Like you it hit me hard. Not just the beauty and the wonderful sea of red but the stillness and so quiet. Thousands of people were there all in deep thought with their own memories. A pin could have dropped. It was amazing and so lovely to see. I'm sure the atmosphere will be one to remember for you too Bella. The poppies represent so much to so many. well done you x
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »
Oh boy, does my back and glutus maximus ache!! Never realised how many muscles we were using at the time!
So much friendship going round and real team work too. We were very lucky with it not raining, although everything was soaking wet and very muddy of course. I do need to write everything down before I forget all the little things, but at the moment I need to get my body working again to move around for work! Have realised I do not have a single unchipped nail! LOL! They gave you gloves to wear, which were all soaking wet anyway as obviously no chance to dry out between shifts. I had a pair of my own on underneath, but nothing stops water getting getting through.
A wonderful day, and yes, pretty emotional when you had a chance to just stop and look around and think about what you were doing and why. I think it brought it home to many people more than ever before, certainly did for me.

My Flickr Photos

animagic21

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »
Those memories will always stay with you. Hope the aches & pains ease soon. Did you lose any relatives in WW1? There is a distant Uncle on Bob's side of the family & we were thinking about him as well as the other poor soldiers when we visited the other week. Xx

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:43:37 AM »
My nan lost two brothers and another came home with PTSD which obviously wasn't diagnosed and treated properly back then. It broke his family apart and ruined the rest of his life. So very sad.

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:48:35 AM »
Just received this email. Unfortunately we cant make tomorrow or Friday at such short notice, Two shifts for Tomorrow available - 3 hours each and one Moat clearing session on Friday.

Quote;
Due to recent the wet weather, the removal process of the poppies has been affected slightly and we have fallen a bit behind schedule. Therefore we have added on two more poppy removal volunteering days to the end of this week.

We understand that this is very short notice, but if you are able to help us on one of the following shifts please reply to this email.

Available shifts

27th November AM 9:30am- 12:30pm

27th November PM 1:30pm- 4:30pm

28th November AM 9:30am- 12:30pm

On Friday 28th November we will need volunteers to help the team leaders complete a final clearance of the moat. So if you would like to help out during the morning we would be very grateful. Please bear in mind that all of the poppies will have probably been removed by this point. You will be helping pack up boxes and equipment only. Again please reply to this email if you would like to volunteer your time on Friday.

Thank you so much for all your support.

Kindest Regards

Samira Ali/ Natalie Gough

Poppy Volunteer Coordinator

Tower of London

EC3N 4AB

020 3166 6253

My Flickr Photos