Author Topic: Help needed please  (Read 2059 times)

Flyer

Help needed please
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »
No (real) names at this point in time but a genuine enquiry/help from all forum members please  :)

In a complete moment of madness a group of people (following the success of one in the London Marathon last week) have decided they want to run a marathon in Mallorca. After much persuasion (mainly due to the age 'factor') I have now got this down to a half marathon and in view of the fact that some people will need to lose weight/get fit/train I mentioned the Pollensa half marathon.

I recall it was in April this year but that is about it ...... so can anyone please point me in the direction of the organisers (seems peculiar using that word for a Spanish event) etc etc as the thought of trying to arrange something so far in advance is alien to me. Also if anyone is able to repeat this request for information on any other local forum ( ::)) this would be appreciated.   
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

tonsyl

Re: Help needed please
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:40:21 AM »
Flyer, you do realise that excersize can seriously damage your health? I seem to recall mention of a site called "Runnyknows" or something very similar as the organisers of the last marathon which was on April 12th. this year. We saw it and it seemed quite popular. Hope this helps.

Flyer

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »
Thanks ..... yes the 'team' are aware of runnyknows (good site) and indeed it has links to some good training runs in the local area ranging from 3km to 15km. What we are really trying to get to is the organisers (again word used loosely) of the event as names need to be put forward but more importantly the 2016 date required. Realise it is 11 months away and ok for me (if I was running) as I live half my life in PP but other people attending work (what's that?) for a living so need to programme.
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Flyer

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 09:24:43 AM »
A bit of an update for you.... runnyknows is the local (English) page for all info regarding running/jogging in the area - seems a great set up and their website has all the local runs/distances etc. I emailed them (runnyknowsmallorca@gmail.com) and they gave me all the information - other than the date - for the Pollensa half marathon.

Basically as some of you know it starts off in Pollensa carries on into the Port, up to the end of Pine Walk, back along Pine Walk all along the front to Llenaire roundabout then back to Pollensa along the country road past Hotel Llenaire. All in all 20km.

For an extra €3 (I think) you can buy a chip so your progress and times are monitored. In UK you can follow a runner via GPS on your mobile but unsure if this applies to Spanish chips  ::) The people who supply the chips have a web site as well www.elitechip.net

The organisers site is www.mitjamaratopollensa.net although no 2016 details (date) on there yet - but always on a Sunday on one of the two first weekends in April. Nominal entrance fee. Subject to booking flights it appears Llenaire BonyGraphers may have a team of 4  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:26:28 AM by Flyer »

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 12:10:02 PM »
Well done you Flyer!
Will look out for you from the comfort of my sunbed!!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 00:04:09 AM by Mary Lorenzo »

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »
That sounds great, keep us updated on that!  :D
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Flyer

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 08:41:22 AM »
If anyone wants an exact 5 mile (8km) walk/jog/run route then part of the Pollensa Marathon route is detailed on this link I have produced. This actually starts/finishes at the Illa D'or but obviously you can start/finish wherever you want along the route  :)

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=D7402A00-B5B8-F578-113DD19364392233&success=1

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 09:00:02 AM »
That's really neat ~ thanks Flyer!  Now all I have to do is work out how to get it all on one page to print out!! Phew! Sweating already!!   ::)

My Flickr Photos

Cath

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 18:59:32 PM »
that's great.I try to walk 2-3 miles most days at home and when we are In PP   most mornings if weather permits we  walk from la Gola up to Can Josep (new location) back down as far as raxi rank and then back to La Gola  I think its about 2.3 to 2.5 miles..
It is good to know another option  ;D

Flyer

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 19:45:40 PM »
Cath (and others) ......

Web site is http://www.walkjogrun.net/ - put Puerto Pollensa in the search box on the left then enlarge the plan to a scale which suits. Then go to the right side index to create your own route. Now looking at the box on the left you can see how many miles you have walked/jogged or run. The calculator assumes you walk 1 mile in 20 mins (3 miles an hour).

Flyer

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 07:40:39 AM »
Well things are moving along and one suggestion has been the charity http://www.agrahamcharity.org/ benefit from any sponsorship received. If anyone has any other ideas please post. Also being established is a team name with Team Llenaire being favourite at the moment - just wish we could get the date sorted so flights etc could be booked  :)

http://www.agrahamcharity.org/

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »
GO TEAM LLENAIRE!

My Flickr Photos

Flyer

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 08:36:24 AM »
BD - maybe have a sticky for walk/run/jog in Pollensa area as I have now been advised of a 7.4km night run in Alcudia. It would be nice to keep all the info for walkers/joggers on the same page ....

http://www.elitechip.net/index.php?zwshow=compdet&idcomp=2316123