Author Topic: San Antoni January 2016  (Read 901 times)

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
San Antoni January 2016
« on: December 10, 2015, 17:14:00 PM »
Here is some general bumf about San Antoni I wrote for a friend recently, just in case it's of use to anyone else.  I am sure it is not the definitive guide - and I hope others will feel free to add on comments and points to guide members of this forum in the right direction...... ;D

San Antoni is on the same dates each year - 16th & 17th January.  It's  a good plan to get there at least one day before.  You can then stroll around the port and view the bonfires in the making.  They are all over the place!  Even several closed establishments will turn out with a bonfire for San Antoni and there is a bit of rivalry with the bonfires as they are judged at some stage.  It's also a good idea to buy in some sausages or anything you would like to put on a barbecue grill.   On the evening of 16th Jan, the bonfires will be lit and on several of them you can take along your own food and grill it to eat there as well.  Some bars/restaurants also sell trays of raw food to cook but you may just prefer to take along the stuff you like to eat - especially if anyone is a vegetarian.

Also very important are some long handled tongs!  Sometimes you can borrow them but always handy to have your own.  Alternatively have a look at some of the restaurants which offer a special San Antoni festival menu....it's usually very good and includes the typical dish of Arroz Brut. 

As there are lots of bonfires all over the place I would strongly recommend that you only wear old clothes and ones you don't mind if they get cinders or burns on them.  The atmosphere is usually pretty smoky so take care if you are asthmatic or have breathing problems. Also, lots of local children get into San Antoni costumes and go round poking unsuspecting adults in the 'derrriere' with their little pronged tridents. Firecrackers will be going off all over the place too!There is also a 'fire run' so keep a look out for that too!  There is also live music from The Hustlers at Nostalgia Bar Bistro in the evening.

On the morning of 17th January, you can, if you wish, drive round (or sail round) to Formentor where the pine log has already been felled.  Loads of locals and tourists alike go there for more BBQ's and drinking!  There is also a bus which leaves from behind the church in PP at 9am to go there.  Don't forget your own food and drink - the Council lay on BBQ drums there though so you can cook your own. 

By around midday, the pine log will have been towed back by sea to PP and landed on the beach more or less in front of the Miramar Hotel.  The pedestrianised area on the front is usually crowded with locals by this time and strolling musicians (Xeremiers) will be playing traditional music too.  Ropes are attached to the log and is is then heaved around/paraded around the streets till it eventually arrives in the main square, usually a couple of hours later on.  We usually find somewhere to eat during this time and then turn up in the square to watch loads of locals trying to climb the 'pine log'.  This can go on for ages or happen very quickly as it did a couple of years ago.  The person who eventually gets to the top, wins a large money purse and it's worth watching as he/she also has to pierce the big bag of confetti on the top of the pine log.  Several of the local bars on the square will be open but many locals just taken their own drinks along to this bit.  It can be quite chilly and it may rain so do go prepared! 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 13:40:55 PM by Mary Lorenzo »

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: San Antoni January 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 10:04:24 AM »
Great read Mary. Thank you for taking the time to share. I haven't been in PP for a number of years at this time so looking forward to the celebrations.

Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

tonsyl

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 10:40:21 AM »
Haven't been looking at the site as often as I should so, just seen the San Antoni info. Everyone to their own, as it were but, we prefer the celebrations in the old town so this year we are staying there for a couple of days. IF we hire a car, we shall no doubt be going backwards and forwards to try and get in a feel for both but looking forward to seeing a few faces over the weekend.............might even have a drink too !

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
Brilliant! Any hints or tips about the San Antonio festival in Pollensa Tonsyl? I've not been yet although I did hear that the pole climbing is much later in the day. Is that right? Come on, spill the beans!

tonsyl

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 11:46:20 AM »
To be honest Mary, in the past we have only spent the early part of the evening in the old town, then gone over to the port for the bonfires etc. I think Pollensa is far more traditional, there is far more effort in the construction of the effigies and the end result better portrays the historical nature of the event. I am told by locals though that Sa Pobla is the place to go, allegedly the best in the area. As to the tree, yes it is later but difficult to watch as it is erected in the little square by the side of the church. Its gets very congested but IB3 show it live and their coverage is pretty good from a vantage point up in the church.

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 01:06:21 AM »
And here is the Pollensa Council's programme of events for the Sant Antoni festival period in Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa and also San Sebastien 2016.

tonsyl

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 13:57:27 PM »
Thanks for that Mary, very useful for us to plan where we need to be and when.

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 13:26:12 PM »
And here's the list of the main Bonfires in Puerto Pollensa this evening (16 January 2016)