Author Topic: Driving over to PP again  (Read 753 times)

GPM

Driving over to PP again
« on: May 02, 2016, 19:05:48 PM »
This is our 3rd year driving over and that's me finished all the hotel bookings. This year we are taking our time through France and visiting some places I fancy staying. We leave Glasgow on the 3rd of June and drive down to a place called Aston Rowant for an overnight before heading through the tunnel the next morning. I just found out Scotland Play France that night at football so might have a wee singsong with the Tartan Army in Folkestone.
We then stay in St Omer on the Saturday, Troyes, Beaune, isle sur la Sorge and 2 nights in Collioure near the border where we stayed last year and was really beautiful.
We arrive in Barcelona a week later where we plan to meet up with our son in law who is driving with his 2 Yorkie dogs but wants to do the drive in 2 days! My Daughter and grandaughter will of course fly direct as she couldn't stand being cooped up with the dogs and a baby for the 2 days.
Hopefully this year will go smooth,  as the first year the car got robbed in Barcelona and last year we left our passports in a hotel in Barca and they took 7 days to forward them on to our hotel in Reims where by the end of the week I felt like a local

tonsyl

Re: Driving over to PP again
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:43:26 AM »
Hope all goes well for you GPM, we've driven down several times with our dog and always enjoy the journey, until Barcelona. Not the town bit but the ferry, the fiddle faddle at the terminal and the 8 hour crossing, as we've always gone out of season and no fast ferry operating. Unfortunately, the dog is getting a bit too old for the journey and so we decided that we would not drive anymore. Like you, we stopped several times in France en route and always had found friendly hotels to stay. We'll miss the sightseeing in future as we look down from 35,000 feet but are very happy we got the chance to travel that way.

Flyer

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:33:10 AM »
Yes best wishes for the trip GPM. If staying in Barca my tip is the Accor near to the Port. Have got the early Barca > Alcudia ferry a few times and quite frankly I never sleep to well knowing I have to get up early to face, as tonsil puts it "the fiddle faddle at the terminal" so pointless paying too much. The Accor is close to the terminal, is clean, has a gated car park (free) and the restaurant serves good basic burgers etc.
Last crossing I found out 20 mins out of Barcelona they do not accept credit/debit cards (only cash) .... we survived the crossing on a single tuna baguette (or that's what they said it was) and 2 coffees  :)
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

GPM

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »
I have been trying to find a fast ferry, but I didn't think it operated any more. The two other times we drove over my wife flew with the dog to save putting her in a cage at night.
I have been thinking about getting a cabin and sneaking the wee one in as she is very small.
No way could we put her in a cage for 9 hours. :o

GPM

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »
Just read tourists stranded in France due to Petrol shortages, last year it was the Farmers blocking the Motorways with Tyres on fire. The French really know how to attract the tourists. ???

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
Bet they have pinched out sunbeds too!!  ;D (or would that be the Germans!)  ;)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

tonsyl

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 12:10:43 PM »
The only blame for the lack of sunbeds is a council who seemingly cannot run a p*** up in a brewery !

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 16:19:01 PM »
So very true. Infact, are the public loos actually open yet!?  ;)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

tonsyl

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 16:35:39 PM »
Haven't a clue, they weren't when we were last there but that was April.