Author Topic: A trip to the tip in Pollensa & rubbish disposal  (Read 884 times)

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
A trip to the tip in Pollensa & rubbish disposal
« on: May 16, 2016, 14:53:27 PM »
It's an all time first for us today with a long overdue trip to the Deixallera (Amenity tip) near Pollensa.
It's located along the Cami de S'Almadrava road/lane leading off the Cockerel roundabout in Pollensa & heading towards Alcudia going past the big sports hall.
We'd been told to take our NIE certificates with us but they were not asked for.
The turning into the Tip isn't well signposted but it's roughly half a mile from the Cockerel roundabout on the right. You are faced with a barrier and weighbridge platform as you try to enter. No-,one was at the entrance office so I popped in to ask what to do. I was told I could enter with the car and eventually a man in hi-viz shirt pressed the remote control button on his bunch of keys and in we drove!
Many of the open-ended containers had roughly scrawled indications of what should go in them but several did not. Various vans & lorries were manoeuvring whilst we were there so you have to watch where you are going all of the time.
As well as all the expected collection units, we noticed that there was an area for conked-out fridges etc & also a skip for washing machines & similar and a skip for cactus and palm tree waste. Also, further back were units for unwanted clothing, polystyrene, a skip for computery bits & also a big pile of used tyres..
To exit, you have to wait until one of the high-viz vests guys presses his remote control to let you out. The sign by the exit indicated that the tip closes at 7.30pm from April to October.

On the way back, we stopped to dump the remaining general rubbish in a green waste bin. There we met Mustapha, a bin dipper! He was rescuing various items from the bin to clean up & sell later on. We asked if he'd be interested in an old single bed which had been languishing in the garage for some time. It was too big to get in the back of our hire car & take to the tip. He was interested & within about 10 minutes he had gratefully loaded up his tatty white van with said single bed, an old mirror, a framed picture and a pair of old trainers.
Job done!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 16:30:01 PM by Mary Lorenzo »

Flyer

Re: A trip to the tip & rubbish disposal
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 20:36:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip Mary! I have tended to leave things by 'our' bins. Removed the dishwasher and left by the bins .... 5 minutes later I realised there was a plastic connector that may be useful on the new one ..... too late! Whisked away in 5 minutes  :o
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:35:16 AM »
Yes, leaving stuff by the green bins is a great way for getting stuff 'recycled', isn't it? ;D
Just didn't think that we could get away with leaving a single bed & mattress there. Wonder what the legalities are...but then again, it's almost always gone in a trice as you say.  ;D

tonsyl

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »
Up here, it would be "fly tipping" !

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 11:15:55 AM »
Very true Tonsyl!

When in Rome ......

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: A trip to the tip in Pollensa & rubbish disposal
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:01:20 AM »
There is a programme on tv about someone who goes to tips, chooses some odd objects, takes them to various artists to do things with and then sells them on, giving the profit back to the people who were about to throw them away! Bet Mustapha doesn't do that though! I like it that people can reuse things that would otherwise be crushed and dumped. I get a kick with looking out the window and finding the object I put out has disappeared!  :D
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos