Author Topic: Private messages  (Read 3801 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Private messages
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:31:34 AM »
I have had one member saying they have problem posting private messages. I have posted back to you so please check if you have received it - MY MESSAGES button in top blue area.
Please let us know if any one experiences any problems, or thinks they should be able to do things that dont happen!
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: Private messages
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 22:54:40 PM »
Bella can I ask if the private message facility provided on this forum is indeed private?
The reason I ask is that I believe the facility offered on some forums is not as private as one would think. I understand that moderators are able to read any private message at anytime. Just wondered if I am correct.
Is this the case with this forum?
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 23:11:21 PM »
Eleanor,

Can I reassure you that with our software it is not even an option . Every member can send and receive pm's as can the Global Moderator and myself as Administrator. This ain't the News of the World. Whatever members send to each other in pm's stays between them and rightly so. Would not tolerate anything to the contrary .

It's totally contrary to the policy of this forum to restrict freedom of speech in anyway so can I assure you it won't happen even if it was possible.

BL  :)

BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 23:12:47 PM »
I believe that the administrators of some of the more established forums are indeed able to intercept PM's if they deem it necessary to in their opinion. However, this forum is not that sophisticated - unlike it's members I hasten to add - and does not even have that facility in its structure.
Please be assured that your private messages are indeed just that - private - and no one can or wishes to invade this privacy.

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 05:23:22 AM »
Thank you both for clarification. whilst I realise it's not news of the world and equally I have nothing to hide I was very surprised to learn that another forum do click into peoples private messages without their knowledge apparently. I found this disturbing as I'm sure the majority believe private means private. I didn't for one moment think this would happen in this forum but thought it would be good for members to know that on this site they are not bring spied on. Thank you.
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

snowy

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:55:56 AM »
I wonder which forum that was Eleanor I have my doubts for some time.
Is my glass half full or half empty

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »

I have just received this PM from Zelda regarding concerns of Private Messages being viewed on other forums.

Quote;

as you are aware I have had to view the bonygraph forum occasionally but only as a result of complaints from other members that posts from the Pollensa forum are being copied without permission.

I am now even more perturbed to see the thread on Private Messaging. I would like to make it clear to you & other members of that forum that the vBulletin software we use does NOT give administrators or moderators access to Private Messages. Where we have issued warnings or removed the facility, this has only been after other members have forwarded PMs on to us, we have received complaints from other members and/or we have viewed a lot of suspicious activity.

I therefore expect you to post this information on the Bonygraph forum as soon as possible and would like your confirmation that you have done so,

Regards,

Zelda

My Flickr Photos

Wrightstuff

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 13:42:13 PM »
Ever heard the expression "you really need to get out more"??

I do not understand how a love for a little place in Mallorca can cause such furore..

I personally have enjoyed both forums over the last few weeks, the people on this forum just wanted to be able to speak a little more freely and still have respect for the other forum. I personally find myself on this one more now because I feel it suits my personality better however there is still some wonderful and invaluable info and some lovely characters on the other site.

Its a shame as I feel they will eventually lose members to the the Bonychat and there was plenty of room for both..

Are forums for swapping info about something we all have in common or about pleasing the advertisers???? 

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 14:47:36 PM »
It really is a shame WS, I agree.  :-[

BUT.. look on the bright side, everyone loves the same thing and "love will bring us together!"  :D

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 17:15:13 PM »
Oh Dearie Me,

Really can't believe there have been any complaints re lifting posts from other sites because we do not allow "cutting and pasting " . Where information is in the public domain as long as it is accredited it cannot infringe copyright . I accept that newspaper articles particularly from the Daily Bulletin and the Ultima Hora get reproduced and in future will make sure we add the prefix " Reproduced without permission " .

In the six week's since inception I can only recall one occasion when I have removed a post and asked the poster to repost in their own words. This was regarding the evidence of short changing in Mojito , a story , I considered to be in the public interest.

Am therefore very surprised there have been complaints , my e mail address is clearly stated on the front blog page and therefore available to any person to contact me if they feel they need to complain.

Freedom of speech means saying what you think , not hiding behind expressions like " suspicious activity "

BL  ??? 
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

snowy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 18:20:40 PM »
Oh Dear what a load off *****

Where we have issued warnings or removed the facility, this has only been after other members have forwarded PMs on to us, we have received complaints from other members and/or we have viewed a lot of suspicious activity.

I have the facility removed on the pp forum after I sent a pm to a good friend telling her about this forum, so my good friend must have complained, perhaps she not a good friend after all ?. Or could there be other reasons not stated here ?.

Strange thing is I have also had the facility to see who's been on the forum also removed, its a small world.

Just for the record I was not meaning the pp forum when I posted to Elenor's post its a much bigger forum News of the World size. I don't think anyone named a forum so why this strange post from Belladonna from Zelda wonder what the first few lines were ??. If Zelda reads the forum why did she not post it direct just looked at members list and wondered who she is on it ?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 18:28:08 PM by snowy »

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 18:30:26 PM »
Nothing extra at the start Snows, just my name. Zelda just started it off in lower case thats all and I copied it direct from my PM!
Lets not get hung up on things that we cant change though, Zelda has been good enough to put her point across to us in order to set our minds at rest that PM's are not looked at except if they think it is necessary for the good of the forum or if someone complains about a PM that was sent to them.
We could go on debating this for ages, but I really need some fun in my life at the moment, so lets get down to that instead! ;)

My Flickr Photos

snowy

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 18:36:27 PM »

Zelda has been good enough to put her point across to us in order to set our minds at rest that PM's are not looked at except if they think it is necessary for the good of the forum or if someone complains about a PM that was sent to them.

No sorry Zelda never she said that at all.

Quote "I would like to make it clear to you & other members of that forum that the vBulletin software we use does NOT give administrators or moderators access to Private Messages."

Which is all she needed to say.

Chemical Dave

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 18:42:38 PM »
Ever heard the expression "you really need to get out more"??

I do not understand how a love for a little place in Mallorca can cause such furore..

I personally have enjoyed both forums over the last few weeks, the people on this forum just wanted to be able to speak a little more freely and still have respect for the other forum. I personally find myself on this one more now because I feel it suits my personality better however there is still some wonderful and invaluable info and some lovely characters on the other site.

Its a shame as I feel they will eventually lose members to the the Bonychat and there was plenty of room for both..

Are forums for swapping info about something we all have in common or about pleasing the advertisers???? 

I am sure you have hit the nail on the head there WS re advertisers. The other forum has an encyclopedia of useful information and is a great resource but cannot be all things to all men.

The tap** b*r is promoted freely there. It poses no threat to the holiday webs business (PP website). However, the Bonygraph is an unknown quantity which way will it go in the future?.   No business likes new competition on their turf.

I am sure there are many "guests" from the other forum visit here daily just don't know why they don't contribute - guilt,  disloyalty?

As I have said before this site believes in freedom of speech. If I have had a bad experience in a PP restaurant, I will say so there are no advertisers to worry about. In fact I was thinking of starting a topic " The 5 worst restaurants in PP" (in your opinion). Only joking...

Dave

(Sorry Bella I drafted this and found you have posted but I didn't want to delete it cause I think it needs saying)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 19:14:46 PM »
No problem Dave, as you say, this forum does allow for a greater freedom of speech as we have no advertising restrictions.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I say that in its true meaning, not sarcastically.
But I am really sorry to say Dave, that your idea about the 5 worst restaurants may not get to see the light of day!!!  ;) :D

My Flickr Photos