Author Topic: Daily Bulletin and other News articles of interest  (Read 21726 times)

Flyer

Re: Daily Bulletin and other articles of interest
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2012, 17:27:07 PM »
Andrew's post today is pretty relevant to a discussion we have recently have I feel. Times, they are a changing faster and faster!

Meliá plans for Magalluf

"The primary aim of the project is to breathe new life into Magalluf which has enjoyed little investment over the years and reinvent the popular holiday destination as a luxury resort."

Well, will we all be heading for Magalluf in the future! ???  Where will all they young party guys and gals go then!! Hhhhmmm very interesting!!

PS always enjoy reading your articles Andrew...thanks.

Unfortunately appears that cheap holidays still abound in Magaluf ~

"Probably only good if you are below the age of 30! - NOT FOR FAMILIES! Good if you want to get a bit of clubbing in! Ultra cheap holiday in Magaluf, Majorca. Total price for 4 people sharing is £298 for one week all in. Staying at Fiesta Jungla hotel, self catering. These apartments are rated 3.5 out of 5 on Tripadvisor. If you want this cheap holiday book quickly before it goes. Do as follows:-
1 - Go to Thomson Flights and book flights to Palma, Majorca out of Luton or Gatwick on 10 May, returning 17 May. Take hand luggage only. Price currently showing for four people is £49 per person for flights. So £196 for four people. It is also possible to get Stansted if you go on 11 May instead. Book this.
2 - Go to Thomson Holidays - Hotels (not holidays) and search on hotels in Majorca for 10 May for 1 week stay, for 4 adults. When results come up sort by price low to high. Fiesta Jungla currently come in at £70 for the week for a 4 person apartment. Book this. Do not book any transfers or other extras.
3 - Go to Travel Republic and book transfers from Palma airport to Magaluf for 10 May and 17 May for 4 people. Total return current cost is £33 for 4 people.
Total holiday cost is £196 + £70 + £33 = £299 or £74 per person per week.
For even better value search on 2 weeks for this hotel - currently coming up at £148 for 4 people for 10 May to 24 May. Book flights with Thomson from Gatwick or Luton - out on 10 May back on 24 May - coming up at £196 for 4 people, and same tranfers as above at £33. Total cost for 4 people for 2 weeks is £377 or £94 per person per fortnight.
Yes - that is equivalent to £47 per person per week!"
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: Daily Bulletin and other News articles of interest
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2013, 17:36:43 PM »
Majorca Daily Bulletin
A British tourist died yesterday after falling from a hotel balcony in Magaluf. This was the fourth death of this kind in the last month. What's happening in Magaluf?

This is just awful and I feel so much for their family and loved ones. It isn't so much the cost of the drink as they will always find the money to get drunk. It is an attitude problem in my opinion. These people arrive with the attitude that they will party 24/7 They really do not need to be off their heads to have a good time so while education is good a crack down on behaviour is what is needed. If the authorities were to come down hard and fast with the intention of ending that being drunk is fine and expected attitude then perhaps the area wouldn't have the reputation it has. That being to be sober is uncool! Ok it could be argued that at least it is in one place but in my opinion it shouldn;t be accepted behaviour in any place. Education starts at home but back up needs to be in place locally. It wouldn;t happen in Dubai because the people live in fear of their actions. I'm not suggesting anything so hard but back up is needed as the situation is out of control. Once a tv series is produced then that really is the nail in the coffin. Very sad!
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

tonsyl

« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2013, 18:48:19 PM »
Eleanor, it's not just Magaluf where it's happening but also in other resorts in other countries where maybe the local press is not too excersized by it as is MDB and it goes pretty much un-reported or we just do not see it. It has even happened in this area a few years back when I was working in the hospital, although, thankfully, the lad recovered. It is sad but we seem to be living in an age where "alcohol is king" mentality is prevalent, just look at your or my locality on a Saturday night! Just like charity, good education begins at home and that, I believe is where things should start.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2013, 19:19:49 PM »
Yes agree Tonsyl certainly Southend on Sea at bank holiday time is a time that us locals stay indoors! We have the London bikers come and those others wishing to cause trouble. Not always related to a drink or two eithyer.

I wonder if those places not mentioned by media attract more or less of those looking for a 'good time'. Certainly compared toabroad cheap booze can't be the problem here. education at home is a good start but I do think a good ground force and consequences for actions is the way forward both here and abroad.  Sad world!
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

tonsyl

« Reply #214 on: September 12, 2013, 06:53:18 AM »
Guilty as charged mi'lud ! Well, not quite but some good few years back, early sixties, we all used to pile into any old banger than would do the journey from the Centre of London to Southend or Brighton (alternate weekends) and have more than a few bevvies, some chips and a ride on the fun fairs ( was it the Kursal ) then get home by whatever means we could and with whoever we could! The difference was, no violence and if we got more than a bit happy, someone else in the party would keep a weather eye open so we did get home safely. As you say though, it' a sad world now where no one seems to care because they're all too boozed up to even know what planet they're on !

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #215 on: September 12, 2013, 07:24:58 AM »
Blimey, Tonsyl

Seeing you in a different light .

But remember the saying " If you can remember the sixties , you can't have been there !!!! "

BL  ;D ;) ;D ;)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

tonsyl

« Reply #216 on: September 12, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »
Well BL, I can and I was, no two ways about that !  Very few photos to prove it though, maybe no bad thing !!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »
Its never just right is it?!  In todays Bulletin;

Majorca with low water reserves

By Francisco Cortez

Majorcan artesian basins or aquifers have less water reserves than in 2013, but are still enough to ensure there is enough to supply the region.

Palma.—The recent heat wave and lack of rain in the region have had a negative  impact on Majorca’s water reserves.
Last month the level of water stored was 48 percent of its total capacity, compared with the 52 percent registered during the same period last year.
Since November 2006, that the level of water stored hasn’t been so low.
There is nonetheless no need for alarm, as with the autumn season now in full flow, authorities are expecting the water reserves to increase during the next few weeks, as it happens regularly this time of the year.
 In Palma specifically, the level of water stored has also declined four percent from September 2013.  Between Gorg, Blau and Cuber’s aquifers, the city has 4,5 million cubic litres in its reserves, amounting to 38 percent of its capacity.
Despite the decline, levels are once again enough to supply the city for the foreseeable future.
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos