Author Topic: WiFi  (Read 3697 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
WiFi
« on: September 06, 2011, 18:33:19 PM »
Thinking of putting in WiFi to the apartment. Who should I ask about this, is it worthwhile / possible to share a setup with a couple of people in the same block or the block close by?
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Sun Properties

Re: WiFi
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 20:42:40 PM »
We are having a communal system in our block - being installed any day now. Luckily one of the guys in our block is a teckie - will be able to report (hopefully) in October.

SP

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 20:45:17 PM »
Would appreciate any information you can give, our admin is useless about this as most of the spanish in the block dont want it anyway! :-[

My Flickr Photos

Sun Properties

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 22:16:53 PM »
12 apts in our 2 blocks - 11 wanted and 1 did not so go ahead agreed and quotations were sought. As I understand it there were two alternatives ~ we could have had individual wi-fi in each apt for minimal cost but quarterly/monthly charge for line or (as we are having) a central aerial costing c. 86 euro per apt (cost of unit + wiring to each unit) but thereafter we can either hard wire to our PC/laptop or get our own wi-fi router and there is a annual cost to all 12 apts of provision of line at 180 euro i.e. 15 euro per annum. 3 of the 12 apts are let/owned by locals and they were the main driving force as the majority of their lets were to Brits who wanted wi-fi and they felt lack of provision was effecting their rentals.

SP

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 23:03:18 PM »
Thanks SP. Totally opposite in our blocks. A lot of Spanish who do not think its worth it, so there are a couple who appear to have grown strange white boxes on their balcony, which are pretty obviously WiFi boxes of some description. Pretty annoyed that they did not discuss it at the meetings when others of us were talking about it, now we will probably all have to get individual ones or a few of us band together to share a line. Meanwhile, I will get a dongle for myself this holiday and try to find out who can set it up for the future.

My Flickr Photos

Sun Properties

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 17:43:09 PM »
New Barnard Hamilton block in Llenaire has communal aerial by the pool with a sticker on it with the installers details. If you want the details of our administrators (Roger Flor or whatever it is called ~ next to the vets) PM me as I am sure they will let you have details of our installation.

SP

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 19:09:29 PM »
Yes please! All information is valuable. YOU pm ME! LOL!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 19:39:54 PM »
Or Bella, you could always just pose around the Llenaire pool and hope they don't notice!  ;)
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 19:50:37 PM »
Maybe a bit obvious if there is no water in it! :D

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 21:49:45 PM »
Lol didn't realise the pool was empty! Yep you may look little obvious but you would be sure to get yourself a mention!
Good luck hope you get sorted without having to go to such lengths! (or of course- widths!) sorry! ;D
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Project

• Property renovations and project management in Mallorca
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 17:38:49 PM »
Chances are the little white boxes are IBred. One advantage with them is that you do not need a fixed phone line, although you can have a 971 number via VOIP.
Also if you purchase the adaptor/ariel you can call them and only activate it the time you want it whilst on holiday and hence avoid a monthly charge (handy for winter)
To rent equipment and pay monthly for 4 mb it's around 40 odd euros, but again you are not paying any line rental.
Their offices are in Pollensa town, in the street down the side of the Riusech office by the new tax office.
We have had it installed for around 4 years and are happy with it.
Cheers
Paul

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 20:25:43 PM »
Paul,

Err, just hold on here a minute cos you are attempting to educate the technically illiterate .

Do these  little white boxes just sit on the wall ? Do you not need an aerial ? But if you do, can you turn em on and off only when you are here?

As you can imagine I'm on constant 24/7  10 megabyte service from Movistar / Telefonica ( in the centre of town )  so I can be in instant global communication with our global readers but please spare a thought for folks like Bella.  

Got an urgent call earlier , from her , fortunately she had found the Vodafone shop ( first hurdle overcome )
but then tried to have a three way conversation on dongles .
Could you please just try and give us a simple guide, i.e I want broadband connection without trying to
coerce my Spanish speaking  neighbours that I can turn off and on whilst I'm here without being ripped off
by Movistar.

Much appreciated ,mate, much appreciated !

BL  ;D

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 20:30:45 PM by Bonyslad »
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 22:48:04 PM »
After half anhour in Movistar we were then told they couldnt help us until Wednesday or Thursday! went across the road to Vodaphone and they said Tuesday! No idea why we cant buy  a dongle today,but after logging on whilst at siurell I dont care at the moment. Another story awaiting. Will get a dongle this week if it kills me!

My Flickr Photos

gina39uk

• PPHR-DIRECT
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 00:01:11 AM »
Bella - Am I to understand from your post that there is now a Vodaphone shop in Puerto? and if so where?

The shop in Pollensa closed down earlier this year and I have been going to Alcudia the last two visits to top up my dongle.  Such a drag!   AVodaphone shop in the port would be heaven sent!
It's Nice to be Important - but it's More Important to be NICE!

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 07:51:32 AM »
Awww! Just read this and realise we have been fed force information! Lol
You HAVEN'T got a dongle!

Your dongle or lack of is becoming quite a topic Bella!
Eleanor