Author Topic: WiFi  (Read 3698 times)

Tia

Re: WiFi
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »
Bella - Am I to understand from your post that there is now a Vodaphone shop in Puerto? and if so where?

The shop in Pollensa closed down earlier this year and I have been going to Alcudia the last two visits to top up my dongle.  Such a drag!   AVodaphone shop in the port would be heaven sent!

Afraid it's Only Movistar in the Port  :(
Don't worry........Be happy !!!!

Project

• Property renovations and project management in Mallorca
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 20:28:02 PM »
Right then, the basics with IBred are as follows:
As a company they have base stations (emitters) set up islandwide on access points such as the puig de Maria. They have, if I'm correct, a fibre optic feed from ONO.
So just imagine it, for arguments sake like wifi coverage for almost the whole island.
By installing a mast, or little white box, and contracting with IBred, you gain access to this massive wifi zone.
This is why there is no phone line needed. I live here permanently so I'm connected permanently, but they do offer a service that if you buy the equipment then you can inform them when you want it turned on. It's perfect for us as we have no phone lines near.
If you live here permanently and are in town then it's cheaper to have orange, movistar etc. But if you are only interested in several weeks a year then it may in your case be an option.
Hope all that makes sense.
Have fun
Regards
Paul

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 23:07:08 PM »
Paul,

Thank you , that makes perfect sense and I am sure that you have solved the problem of wifi for a lot of people, particularly those without a landline and only visit a few times a year.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to us all.

BL  :)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 10:15:19 AM »
Just seen this from Andrew, no doubt it will be picked up and discussed to a greater extent elsewhere, but its good news;

MALLORCA TODAY - Widening Wifi coverage in Pollensa
Free Wifi access to the internet in Pollensa is to be widened, an agreement having been signed by the town hall and provider IB-Red. It will take in, for example, the sports centre in Pollensa town and will also be broadened in the port.

Full report DdM;

The Network Inventory Company expanded wireless coverage area and sports hall
15/02/2013 | 6:30

Mayor Encrypt with representatives of IB-Red, Pollença yesterday.  Council accepts jfs Network Inventory Company, specializing in new technologies, provide wireless coverage areas of the sports hall and the municipal flag of Pollença, and expand to four years the two areas that already have access to public internet in the township 'pollencí ', both as in Port Pollença.

The mayor of Pollença, Tomeu Encrypt and representatives of IB-Red, Alberto Navarro-Rubio (CEO) and John Ochogavía (director of expansion) yesterday signed a collaboration agreement to extend coverage and wireless Internet access in Pollença and gave to know the details of a project that, according to the mayor Encrypt, will be very beneficial to the town, which is "bad press".
According Encrypt, the agreement between the municipality and the company Network Inventory will provide a "public service communications ", while stressing that" it is good that the companies, and it is based in the city, invest in Pollença. "
IB-Red The company already has an agreement with the federation of municipalities to provide wireless coverage in places the different municipalities of Mallorca.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:17:08 AM by Belladonna »
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »
Must say that IB Red is already in place in both squares of Pollenca and the Port. Although not my main providor I can pick it up in my apartment which is probably 100 metres from the square.

Not strong enough to download the digital version of the Daily Bulletin , 69 p per issue absolute bargain to read Andrew's jottings , IMO !!!

BL  ;) :)
BonysLad

andrew711

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 17:50:00 PM »
Keep paying the 69, BL. Am currently in discussions re an increase in fees.

Papillon

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
I appreciate this thread has been quiet recently but I installed IBred in April and found the 3mb unlimited option to be quite adequate. I was over in the apartment in July and was surprised to find at certain times of the day I had no access at all. I appreciate the speed can slow down at peak times but has anyone else had problems with the service.
Don't want to invest in TV streaming if the system can't cope.

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 19:01:39 PM »
No , Papillon

But am right in the centre of PP so must be close to the exchange or whatever they use nowadays

BL  :) :)
BonysLad

girlie in the corner

• Niña el tiempo extrordinaire
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 07:46:06 AM »
We changed from Telefonica to Conecta Balear which is similar to IbRed.  We get a fantastic speed of 8-10 mb, but you have to be within their 'catchment' area in the port for the 'dish' to receive a signal.  Their website gives a map of where the signal is available.  Absolutely brilliant service.  Can't fault it.

Papillon

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 08:59:23 AM »
Thanks, will check it again in Oct and call Confort if still problems. Aerial is good with direct line of sight to transmitter on hills by Alcudia.