Author Topic: Sand  (Read 1852 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Sand
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »
MALLORCA TODAY - Wrong sand in Cala Ratjada
The regeneration of the beach at Cala Agulla in Cala Ratjada, which started yesterday with the first depositing of new sand that will eventually mean up to 2,000 cubic metres being laid, has not passed off without controversy. The new sand is not the same colour as the old, albeit that the old was disappearing. The town hall (Capdepera) admits there is a difference, but that it will hardly be noticed.
Posted by andrew at 9:31 AM

Seriously!? Well, if its not the right colour, I  just wont go there!!!!   ::)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
Re: Sand
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 13:02:46 PM »
Yeah,

Can't have it clashing with your blue nails !!

BL  ;D
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Soller
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »
Soller (todays DM)
Costas says that 'normal' that the water of Port drag the sand
Celestí Alomar explains that the suspended sediment is "not worrying" and that most of the material is "well settled"

JOAN MORA / AITOR F. VALLESPIR The head of the Coasts in the Balearics, Celestí Alomar said yesterday that the suspended sand carried by the sea in Port de Sóller is a "normal" process, already envisaged in the proposed regeneration of the beach des Through . "The storm is dragging the finest sand and so the water is yellow, but it is worrying," said Alomar.
The technical Coasts yesterday visited the new beach promenade des Through to check the status of the work of regeneration and the effects of the storm the day before yesterday dragged from the arena to the open sea by wave action. That day all the water in the bay of Soller was dyed yellow in color due to the amount of sand carried in suspension. Even the cloudy stain extended into the open sea, out of the bay by the dragging effect of the waves.
Yesterday morning, the mayor of Sóller, Carlos Simarro (PP), stated that "must await the outcome of the studies being done Costs will determine what measures are taken." Hours later, Alomar guaranteed that no further action will be necessary, since "most of the sand is perfectly placed and settled."
The cause of cloudy water was the strong waves that battered the coast, a few weeks ago was regenerated with the contribution of 16,000 tons of sand from a quarry in Albacete. "It's very normal for the water you clean the coast. In fact, the beach is based on the breakwater side and reposition itself when the storm abates," noted the head of Costas Islands.
Corrective
The mayor said the project Soller Coastal guarantees "corrective measures to ensure that the beach will not be damaged again next time." Simarro added that "if necessary to bring more sand, then put more" but Alomar dismissed this end, and that regeneration is well under way. However, the mayor said that "works to the promenade, and therefore the works of the beach are not ready" so that "at the time of completion of work, they must adhere to the approved project at the time ".
The large patch of sand was yesterday the most recurrent comment among Sollerics. Some people claimed that they charge waves when temporary mistral and now carry sand where there was none before. Others argued that the lack of an underwater dam will eventually run out of the sand area, which ensured that Alomar "not necessary". Who had also stated that "it is usual that the sand in suspension finally emerge elsewhere in the Port" by the dynamic effect of underwater currents. In addition to the sand in suspension, there have been a source of fresh water at sea level who have dug deep furrows on the beach. Costs not expected to act in it, as the rocks of the coast will help to filter water.

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:44:29 AM »
Still on the Soller beach problem:

The rift on the beach.
The recent rainfall has had a negative effect on the new beach Through in Sóller. The sources of fresh water spring at sea level have increased their volume and accordingly have widened the gaps that have sprung up on the beach that was created artificially. Coasts poured 16,000 tons of sand, one part of which has disappeared.

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 09:39:33 AM »
You cannot be serious!! 

MALLORCA TODAY - Costas fine the Puerto Pollensa sandcastle builder
Well, is this absurd or is it the rightful application of the law? The chap who builds the large and complex sandcastles on the Albercutx beach in Puerto Pollensa is to be fined over 2,000 euros by the Costas authority, the reason being that the sandcastle infringes rules on the occupying of public space on a beach.

http://www.diariodemallorca.es/part-forana/2012/12/01/costas-sanciona-2163-euros-constructor-castillo-arena-pollenca/811791.html

My Flickr Photos

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »
Oh that is just plain ridiculous!

The elaborate sand castles are a huge draw for families staying in the port.  Yes, there may need to be licences for the different 'patches' on the beach but the fine is totally out of proportion.
Another decision made from the comfort of an office somewhere, no doubt.   >:(

tonsyl

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
Or maybe a decision taken by an accountant who thought he could see easy money! OK, the guy makes good money from his sandcastle building and I am not familiar with whatever statute the Costas are drawing on to levy the fine but it is another good example of beaurocrasy gone mad, at the expense of the overall good of the Port and Pine Walk in particular. When will they install toll booths at each end of the walk to charge tourists for walking up and down?

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »
..and then say its to go towards the care of the trees perhaps?  :-[

My Flickr Photos

Chemical Dave

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 17:51:48 PM »
I was interested to read about the sandcastle builder and the fine. I did not think he would be a local and would have been long gone to a beach much further South.

I was intrigued by the sculptures and the "sculptors"this year. My theory is that they are sculpted and then "handed over" to custodians for some remuneration. I also think they are built with some cement like material added to make them more long lasting.
Sorry to burst any romantic bubbles but serious money is made here.

When I was out in September there was terrible rainstorm and the streets were flooded. The sculpture nearest 1919 had hardly a grain of sand out of place.! I cannot believe the sculpture is made from sand only.

The "sculptors" also work a shift system. Did you know they are there 24 hours a day?. Neither did I. The night smoke from the forest fires carried over from the mainland to the port, I was on the Pine walk  in the middle of the night as I thought a building nearby was on fire. Imagine my surprise when I saw one of the "sculptors", fast asleep recumbent on the park bench!. I twigged then that they must either have small accommodation or wanted to guard their sculpture.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 18:08:24 PM by Chemical Dave »

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 18:12:59 PM »
This is interesting Dave. as you say so much money is involved here and how strange when trees are at risk the sculptures remain undamaged. Nothing is as it seems - so it seems!  ::)
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
Andrew's blog;

MALLORCA TODAY - Pollensa threatens not to pay Costas Authority

Pollensa town hall's spat with the Costas Authority gets worse, the town hall now threatening to withhold the tax of 220,000 euros it pays annually to the government because of a failure by the Costas to adequately maintain parts of the beach and coastal areas, notably Puerto Pollensa's pine walk, and because of an absence of any significant investment since the Ternelles beach was created in 1992. The mayor has also asked that the Costas set aside parts of the beaches to allow sandcastle building (this in response to the fine handed out to the sandcastle builder on Albercutx beach).

My Flickr Photos