Author Topic: Once upon avery long time ago.......PART 2  (Read 3931 times)

gina39uk

• PPHR-DIRECT
Once upon avery long time ago.......PART 2
« on: September 14, 2011, 13:14:52 PM »
PART 2

I have been thinking seriously since my last post whether or not to just share snippets of interesting and exciting things that have happened to me over the years in PP but as there are so many it may confuse readers if I jump from one to the other as I think of them….So I have decided to begin with a brief synopsis starting from when we first arrived in PP and move along from there to each separate stage of our time there.

If you start getting bored feel free to tell me – I’m woman enough to take it - though I may have to kill you later!! ;D

SO……….Once upon a very long time ago …….Part 2

LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!

I can remember vividly the day we decided to move to Puerto Pollensa.  We had been living in Las Gaviotas in Playa de Muro (between Puerto Alcudia & Can Picafort) for about 18 months, running a supermarket.  I won’t go into too much detail about that now (that’s another story entirely) sufficient to say I had decided that it wasn’t for me and needed to move on.

One Sunday in late February my son (then about 7yrs old) and I took a drive around the Bay (which in those days was considered an excursion in itself) and decided to turn right towards Puerto Pollensa.  Until that day we had never been that far!!  That’s how laid back everything was then.   Anything more than 10 kms was considered a day’s outing!
That was the best right turn I ever made!!   I can’t begin to describe the feeling seeing for the first time the breathtaking scenery of both  the Tramuntana mountains and out across that spectacular Bay.  Magical!!
By the time we finally reached the ‘inhabited area” of the main Port I was hooked!

I said to my son Danny – this is it!!!   And of course he agreed ( I mean what 7yr old wouldn’t?)
We parked the car in front of the Restaurant Bona Cepa (sadly no longer there) and got out.  You could park on the road there in those days as the car park hadn’t been built then and there weren’t many cars around anyway.
And there, just a few doors further along Paseo Saralegui I saw those magical words “SE ALQUILA” (which means For Rent for those who don’t know) on the window of an empty shop!! 
I am a great believer in taking advantage of what fate offers you and I did just that!.  Within a week I had signed the lease on the shop and in less than a month we had found somewhere new to live and moved in!   
I struggled for a while with a name for my new venture until my son said “Why not call it GINAS mum?  So Ginas it was!   (out of the mouths of babes!)
We had great fun fitting it out and buying stock and we were lucky enough to have really good neighbours.
Next door  was a lovely English lady, whom many of you may know, called Dorothy Loeffler. The following year she moved out and on to other things and the locale was turned into a Hairdressers run by Antonia (one of the daughters from Can Pancho, now married to Dudley of Can Pacienci fame) and Heidi (married to Lorenzo of Chivas).

Over the next few years we watched the Yum Yum being built and the Los Faroles with all the apartments above and then of course the big changes came when the sea, which at the time still came right up to the road, was gradually filled in and the large Car Park was made.  And what a performance that was I can tell you … but they finally got there and the Tour Buses which used to come in most days from other parts of the island, started to park there. 
What a difference that made to our business!!   All the shops on the seafront benefitted from this new car park as well as the restaurants so it was good for everyone! 

This area of course has extended even more with the making of the ‘new’ man-made beach and new jetties being built etc. etc. etc.,.   More and more boats and yachts started to appear, getting bigger and bigger bringing with them some fabulous characters!!   Some of them larger than life!!

But more about them another time ………………………..!!

Although I loved my shop I always felt I needed more.  I’ve always been a ‘people’ person and in my late teens I often helped out in friends’ pubs and clubs as well as doing a bit of singing so that was really more my scene and when fate stepped in again with the opportunity to buy El Barco – Of course  I took it!   And my goodness did that cause a stir!!  I was the 1st foreign woman to open a bar in Puerto Pollensa and it was really hard at first until I was finally accepted.

Some of the happiest years of my life were spent in El Barco and during those years many, many people passed through those doors including some very famous ones……!!
One day a Majorcan friend of mine from Alcudia arrived with a male friend I hadn’t met  before but who looked very familiar.   My friend introduced him as Simon.  He was very handsome and had a lovely personality and was soon chatting to the rest of the people in the bar who were mainly tourists.   Then some of the locals started to come in for their morning coffees and began to make a real fuss of this man Simon – patting him on the back & shaking his hand etc.,
I became intrigued so asked my friend who he was.  “Oh” he said “I thought you knew.  That’s Simone Andreu the famous Spanish film star.  He’s just back from America after promoting his new film A MAN CALLED HORSE.  He’s from Sa Pobla and is back here to see his mother!”
Anyway  later on , as they were leaving Simon (Simone) thanked me for a lovely morning and asked if I would like to join him and my friend for lunch at the Club Nautico the next day.  Of course I said “Yes” …..and what a day that turned out to be!!

We arrived for lunch to a packed restaurant (fortunately a table had been reserved in advance)  It was full mainly of locals because it was a fiesta day and of course as we walked through to take our table everyone stared as soon as they recognised Simone.   Once we were seated Simone said to me “Of course Gina you do know that you will be all over the papers tomorrow don’t you?”  To which I replied “Yes, I can see the headlines now – Gina seen dining in the Puerto Pollensa Club Nautico ……….with whom??”   
After he picked his jaw up from the floor Simone just fell about laughing then proceeded to declare at the top of his voice – “GINA – TE QUIERO”!!
We had a lovely lunch and the company was excellent.  A very happy memory for me.  That was the last I saw of Simone until………….

About two years later around 7.30pm one evening, a big red American open top car (I think it was a Cadillac or similar) pulled up outside El Barco and the driver started honking the horn.  Yes you’ve guessed it – it was Simone!
“Come Gina” he shouted “come for a spin in my new car”.  Of course I said I couldn’t possibly as I was working.  “Come on” he said “we’ll only be 10 minutes”.
My friend Annie  who was helping me in the bar  said “go on I’ll hold the fort for 10 minutes”.  So of course I went.   It was hilarious!!   Despite my protestations he drove me all the way to C’an Picafort stopping outside numerous bars along the way and honking the horn for the owners to come out and see his car.  We didn’t get back to El Barco until after 9.30pm where he dropped me outside, gave me a peck on the cheek and said “ Adios carino!   Hasta pronto!” and with that he drove off into the sunset (well not quite).    It was to be many years later before I saw him again!

Next time I’ll tell you about “The Spy who came to dinner” and many more interesting people.

It's Nice to be Important - but it's More Important to be NICE!

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
Re: Once upon avery long time ago.......PART 2
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 15:43:21 PM »
Gina,

If anyone gets bored with your fabulous stories , I will kill them !!

Thank you again for a fascinating read.

BL  :)
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 15:46:57 PM »
Excellent Gina! What a tale! :o What fantastic memories you have and thank you for sharing with us. ;)
Simon seems a wonderful character - I can actually picture him using imagination ::) Your story should have a wonderful Mills and Boon type ending - like you being driven off into the unset to start a new life in the hills above Formentor! lol

Actually your description of a day trip being a quick trip to the Port brought reminded me of some English friends who lived near Santa Ponsa. They wouldn't dream of visiting us for a day and would always come for the weekend as the distance was much too far!  ::)
We call it Islanditas!  ;)

Look forward very much to the next episode Gina. A very enjoyable read!

Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 15:48:17 PM »
BORING? How could that possibly be called BORING? No way Gina -Get writing!  ;)
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

gina39uk

• PPHR-DIRECT
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 22:34:37 PM »

Actually your description of a day trip being a quick trip to the Port brought reminded me of some English friends who lived near Santa Ponsa. They wouldn't dream of visiting us for a day and would always come for the weekend as the distance was much too far!  ::)
We call it Islanditas!  ;)

Look forward very much to the next episode Gina. A very enjoyable read!

Eleanor I forgot to say that our car at that time was a little yellow  Seat 600 that rarely went above 50 kms an hour!    Danny used to call it our 'Noddy' car.  But it always got us where we needed to be which was the main thing - and in any case no one was ever in a hurry in those days!    It really was manana, manana for everything then! ::)     Oh happy days!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 23:54:52 PM »
Gina, that was a wonderful read! Sitting here at gone midnight, with the shutters open and the fan going, I can hear the crickets and see the stars. It all adds to the imagination of reading your great memories- and I want to ride in that car! Carry on remembering!  ;)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

tommo

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 07:51:07 AM »
I was just thinking that I need a good read to take with me to PP in a few days. Any chance you could put pen to paper and do Parts 3 -? at the rate of one a day whilst we're on holiday? Thanks for a very enjoyable read

Wrightstuff

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »
I have goosebumps all over... So interesting. I cant wait for part 3.
Thank you for doing it Gina  ;D

Pollpott2

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 09:31:52 AM »
That's fascinating, Gina.  Really enjoyed that. It must have been exciting moving to the Port in those and watching it grow over the years. Can't wait for part 3.
But where's Part 1, have I missed it somewhere?
Tony

Pollpott2

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 09:33:22 AM »
Whoops, I've just find Part 1.
T ::)

gina39uk

• PPHR-DIRECT
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »
I was just thinking that I need a good read to take with me to PP in a few days. Any chance you could put pen to paper and do Parts 3 -? at the rate of one a day whilst we're on holiday? Thanks for a very enjoyable read
Hi Tommo ....I doubt very much if I will have time before I leave for PP myself on Sunday but I plan to post Part 3 whilst I am there.   
However I shall be there for 10 days so if we chance to meet up I would be happy to share a few more memories with you.  I'm hoping to get to the Marina meet up on the 22nd but if I don't make it I can always be found at the Sparrow most mornings taking my coffee and using the wifi there!  This usually leads on to a vino or 3 if I am joined by friends - just to be sociable of course ::)  So maybe I'll see some of you there?

favie

• There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 14:06:49 PM »
So Good I Read It Twice!!  Very interesting Gina and exciting to say the least!!  Look forward very much to Part 3.  ;D

Kate1

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 16:23:59 PM »
That is just a fantastic story - am so enjoying these tales. You should write a book!

gina39uk

• PPHR-DIRECT
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 16:44:29 PM »
That is just a fantastic story - am so enjoying these tales. You should write a book!

I am constantly been told by friends and aquaintances (new and old) "You should write all that down Gina"
My response is always the same - "Yes I know-One Day I'll write a book"!
"What will you call it?" they ask.  
"One Day I'll Write a Book" I reply
"Yes but what will you call it?" they ask again

"ONE DAY I'M GOING TO WRITE A BOOK" I reply ;D ??? ::)

Thank you all for your very kind words.  They are giving me the courage to carry on.  Just promise me you WILL let me know when you've had enough!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 16:47:50 PM by gina39uk »

Chemical Dave

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 17:55:54 PM »
Really great stuff Gina.

I think you have achieved what many of us dream of. It's a great story. One woman against the odd's sets up a successful business in the sun, in a place we all love, before the advent of mass tourism. Famous people from all over come to enjoy the hospitality. Never mind the book deal there is a film there as well.

I can just see it now the carefree bar owner,  setting out in a flashy convertible with Simone,  across town, wind blowing in your hair and a huge pair of sunglasses.

Dave