Author Topic: Tree Bugs  (Read 1291 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Tree Bugs
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:39:25 AM »
MALLORCA TODAY - Now another "plague" affects Mallorca's trees
Following the harmful effects of the weevil which has decimated palm trees in parts of the island - Puerto Pollensa most seriously - now comes the psila bug which has been attacking ficus trees in Inca in particular. Inca town hall says that trees are not being killed but admits that the bug leaves white blotches on trees and can also cause irritation to humans. The bug was all but unknown in Mallorca until recently.
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: Tree Bugs
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 10:49:05 AM »
Oh this is more bad news for the trees of Mallorca!  :( All these problems are keeping some people busy and rich I suppose!

Now might be a good time to start an imitation tree business!  :o  :o
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 11:14:49 AM »
Keep being tempted by the fake grass they sell in Al Campo. The roof terrace would look lovely. Unfortunately the cleaner / housekeeper / look after everything wonderwoman, has said she will not under any circumstances, wash or vacuum it to keep it clean!  :D Also, all my plants died in the pots, so am now trying more of a succulent type of plant to see if it survives.

At least this bug is not killing the trees, and hopefully the leaves are too high to touch. Some of the trees are low and spikey though, so not sure if these are the ficus trees they mean. Obviously not the same as the palm trees.

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 16:35:43 PM »
I have always wondered how the imitation grass stays in place.
One of the big storms and it could be seen heading down the new road! ::)
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 16:57:35 PM »
Magic Carpet Rides in PP! Now, there's a business opportunity!  :D

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 18:14:14 PM »
LOL - yes it would be like that!  ::)

I can just see it now! lol  :o
Eleanor

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
And now the Pine
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 22:18:35 PM »
El Mundo reports;

The Govern is willing to not to get another plague on the island . And the list of future enemies is the nematode pinewood. To do this yesterday participated in a conference on this species which were also present transport companies, wood processing, among other entities should monitor this insect. Plant technicians presented the action plan which included the European Union requirements and actions that are intended to accomplish.

" What we want is to coordinate all those involved in the treatment and transport of pine wood to prevent the pest from the Balearic Islands ', recalled from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Territory. This worm affects various species of conifers, especially pine and causes the sudden drop of leaves. The actions to be carried out are posted on the website of the Government. Technicians recommend that inspections be made ​​of samples of pine forests, nurseries and lumber yards. Although particular emphasis on transport and the arrival of these commodities to the ports of the Islands. "The commercial transfer is precisely one of the main routes of spread of this worm," insisted from Agriculture, Environment and Territory.

The nematode pine wood comes from North America . Curiously, in his home area does not cause major damage because the local conifers are more resistant. In Europe, first detected in Portugal in late 1999. The arrival in Spain took a little longer but the two most important sources are in Extremadura and Galicia. Since then the Ministry of Environment launched the national plan against this pest.

The nematode attacks the trees through which a disease spreads very harmful to trees of the genus Pinus. Colloquially called to this condition as dry or wilting of pines. When the nematodes reproduce in the tree are slowly collapsing the conducting vessels. In the next stage develops beetle larvae that migrate to another part of the tree just before the new adult emerges. When it is fully developed it is time to move to another tree where it begins to expand the nematodes in the wounds of the tree. The pines preferred by this worm are Sylvestris, Nigra and Pinaster.

My Flickr Photos

girlie in the corner

• Niña el tiempo extrordinaire
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »
The island's going to be naked soon! 

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
Do you know, I didnt see much tree devestation in Palma itself last week. I thought there would be lots of stumps around, but PP seems to have taken the brunt of the problem.  :-[

My Flickr Photos