Author Topic: Holy Cactus Garden! (aka Tierra Santa)  (Read 2065 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Holy Cactus Garden! (aka Tierra Santa)
« on: October 15, 2011, 21:17:41 PM »
Whilst looking up places to visit on our next trip out, I looked up the gardens of Botanicactus in Ses Salines, which we have not gone to yet. Looks like we will not be going at all now! Evidently it has deteriorated considerably, and shows signs of neglect whilst increasing its entrance fee to 8€. There are also now strong rumours that the park is soon to be closed to be converted into a Christian theme park, to be called Tierra Santa (Holy Land). There is  already a similar one up and running in Buenos Aires. The park will reconstruct Jerusalem as it was 2,000 years ago, along with buildings famous in Palestine, the Wailing Wall, Bethleham, Nazareth and Golgotha.

Would this be a good addition to the island, would it bring in tourists in the out of season months? If it was constructed under a dome like Center Parcs, then perhaps it would! However, it does depend on foreign investment so who knows if it will ever get going. Meanwhile, I’ll look for another cactus garden to visit!  ::)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:03:58 AM by Belladonna »
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

Re: Holy Cactus Garden!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 22:59:42 PM »
More than strong rumours, Bella. Ses Salines town hall has approved the proposal, it having been rejected by, among others, Capdepera and Alcudia; or maybe they, the promoters, rejected these locations. There are also plans to push ahead for a major hotel development and also, just down the road in Campos, they want to do their own development, which they hope the change of government will allow; a golf complex has long been in the offing there. Can't see that this is anything other than good news for a part of the island that doesn't enjoy a lot of tourism facilities. Whether the Tierra Santa is right, personally I'm agnostic. If it turns out to be an interesting attraction, why not. Can't say I go on the religious bit, but that's my own preference; I'd like to see what it was before passing judgement. I know the Canon Mel in Puerto Pollensa was guarded; he wrote about the idea when it was floated in Capdepera in Talk Of The North about a year ago.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:52:59 AM »
I do think that the religious aspect could be the controversial bit. I'm certainly all for bringing more interest to the island, but it does feel slightly sacroligious to be "having fun" in an area which is full of pretend religion. I am not surprised that Canon Mel has reservations. Interesting. :-\

A few sites on the Buenos Aires park on google, which may give an idea of what it would be. Am just posting one here, but it is interesting to look at different points of view.

http://argentinastravel.com/257/parque-tierra-santa-in-buenos-aires/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:03:57 AM by Belladonna »

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
The flood gates are open now!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »
A Familiar Theme Now Coming To Campos
Andrew Ede

You are entitled to wonder "crisis, what crisis", given the sudden outbreak of development plans springing up left, right, centre and predominantly around the south-east of the island. The latest is an old theme, that of a theme park, long in the offing and long in the kicking into the tall grass of environmental objections.

We know of course that the tourism minister, well before he had been elected, had spoken of his wishes for there to be more theme parks, so the project conceived by the appropriately named Danish company, the Theme Park Group, comes as no surprise. The company has had its hopes dashed in the past, but it now must hope that it will be able to push ahead.

The plan is for there to be a park which occupies some 110 hectares of land. Exactly where is a secret, but only of sorts. It will be between the towns of Llucmajor and Campos. The company's website shows its location on the motorway between the two and north of Sa Ràpita where there are separate plans for a new 1250-place hotel.

The Danish theme park is not the only one in the area. Campos's neighbour, Ses Salines, has approved the idea for the Christian theme park. "Tierra Santa" was originally destined to be in Capdepera, but it may well now be heading to the town of the salt marshes. There has to be some allegory in all this. Lot's wife, pillar of salt and all that, though where Sodom and Gomorrah come into it, I'm not sure. The theme park will probably tell us.

Mention of Capdepera has some link with the Danish scheme. It is intended that one area with typical Mallorcan buildings will be included. The plan for the luxury hotel complex in Capdepera involves its being created in the style of a Mallorcan village. There is just one slight snag which has cropped up with this. No one seems to have met the Qatari sheikh said to be behind it all. Indeed, no one seems to be able to confirm that he exists. Even Hyatt, which would operate the hotel, is being somewhat circumspect about the project, though it has been associated with such a scheme for at least a couple of years.

If some scepticism has arisen in respect of Capdepera, there needn't be with the Danish scheme. As an idea, it has been doing the rounds for long enough to remove doubts, though there are the issues of permission (which should probably pose little problem with the new government) and of financing. The park will require 200 million euros of investment. A third of this would be forthcoming from the company itself together with tour operators said to be associates in the project. The rest would come from banks and financial institutions. One trusts that the banks will be more minded to release funds for the theme park than they otherwise appear to be.

Perhaps conscious of the environmental objections that have dashed previous theme park proposals, the company is careful to demonstrate the park's eco-credentials. Energy savings and limiting emissions, water savings, noise and light pollution, they are all there, alongside what the park will actually comprise: an adventure area, a fantasy world, a tropical world and pirates. Yes, really, yet more pirates. There will also be a lake and of course the Mallorcan buildings as part of a "Mallorca Experience".

It all sounds fair enough, but does it sound that original? What Mallorca could do with is a real attention-grabber, something which might say to the tourist that he should come to Mallorca, as opposed to it being an option he has for a day out that doesn't specifically influence the decision to holiday in Mallorca. One would have to wait and see. It might be highly original, but sorry, ever more pirates don't necessarily set the pulse racing.

I wish them the best of luck with it. Theme parks, and more of them, are good for tourism. But in one respect, the project may represent a missed opportunity. It would appear that it will only be open during the season. Or maybe I'm missing something. An all-year, all-weather theme park facility would mean a great deal more for Mallorca's tourism.

The company, in addition to pressing the environmental friendliness of the theme park, presses the right buttons in other ways. Mallorca has been chosen, it says, "because there is a need to improve the offer complementing sun and beach tourism". True enough, but the complements are necessary when the sun and beach are not on offer.

For more information, go to http://themeparkgroup.com

Unquote.

So before it has even been tested, there are more jumping onto the band wagon! As you say Andrew, Its not just a seasonal advance that the island needs to boost tourism, but an all year round one. Anyone interested in starting up clay pigeon shooting?! ::)

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:44:31 AM »
DB today - well, yesterday really!

OTHER NEWS
Theme park could be just years away
Palma.—Dean Sinclair, the Marketing Director for the Danish company TPG (Theme Park Club Group) told the Bulletin yesterday that the final closed presentation of the project will be ready well before Christmas for submission to the local government and, if all goes well, Majorca’s first theme park could open its doors to the public within the next three to three-and-a-half years.
TPG first came up with the theme park project back in 2003 but too many political problems led to the group eventually deciding to proceed no further.
However, Sinclair said yesterday that, in the wake of the PP’s return to power earlier this year, TPG approached its share holders and investors past and present about reviving the project and it received unanimous support.

On Tuesday Sinclair and TPG’s Technical Director met the Balearic President, Jose Ramon Bauza, and his cabinet to outline and explain their intentions and the project was well received. “The government have given us some guidelines within which we have to work and hope to be able to present them with the closed project within a matter of weeks. “We also need to talk to out investors because the project will cost between 200 and 300 million euros, depending on how much we include in the park. “We have three possible locations. One in Campos and two closer to Palma. The park will cover an area of 100 hectares, that is one million square metres, we don’t want anything smaller, and it will be a European theme park. “We consider the project extremely viable, as does the government apparently, so hopefully, work will begin on the project within the next 12 to 18 months. “The park will be open all year, apart from a few weeks for maintenance etc. and will also include a large concert arena for 50'000 people because we also intend to bring top international acts like Shakira to the island so the locals don’t have to travel to Madrid or Barcelona,” Sinclair added. “Our main aim is to boost off season tourism and we expect to attract 1.5 million people a year during the first few years. “We will also be creating some 2'000 jobs during the construction phase and then, once fully operational, employing as many as 800 people during peak season,” Sinclair said yesterday.

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 10:46:33 AM »
This is admittedly a news item, but there is too often just an acceptance of what is announced regarding such projects. They say it will be open all year, save for a break for maintenance (the German paper Mallorca Magazin has said something similar), but it will not be open to anything like its full scale. A clue lies with "employing as many as 800 people during peak season". In other words, this is when most of its staff will be employed. Pirates spectaculars need pirates, for example. They won't do them in winter as it would cost too much to employ people (and would go against the norm of giving out contracts for no more than six months) and there simply wouldn't be the clientele to make them viable, to say nothing of any weather. What probably would remain open would be the Mallorcan experience, to which they would be able to attract school parties and thus get revenue from the government (this is the case with places like the nature parks of Albufera and Son Real). Greater curiosity should be shown when it comes to such schemes, but I'm afraid it is all too rarely apparent. 

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »
You are absolutely right. I remember a great little crazy golf set up in P. Alcudia (Bellevue way)many years ago, fantastic idea, cost a fortune and looked amazing. Lasted about 2 seasons at the most. Also Fogeros Palace (completely wrong spelling) a short drive from P. Alcudia - dinner show, laser lights, water falls, the lot. Best I have been anywhere except for Las Vegas!! Again, lasted a few seasons, now derelict.  No winter visits; no lasting venues. Same old, same old!  :-\

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 11:33:16 AM »
There's an article in today's Diario de Mallorca that tries to shed some light on the Danish entrepreneur behind this theme park and his British associate. It doesn't make very encouraging reading. Shame it's not all on the internet, as you could at least Google translate it to get a flavour, but essentially it suggests that the Dane is largely unknown, the Brit is a charmer and that there are connections of a Rotarian nature - the regional government president is one, as is the Dane.

Could all be Mallorcan xenophobia plus a local suspicion that Rotarians equal masons, but scepticism where unproven or largely unproven foreigners are concerned is understandable, as with the Paul Davidson bid to buy Real Mallorca football club.

It's going to be interesting to see where this leads, if it leads anywhere, and you would have your doubts by reading the article.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 09:28:09 AM »
DDM today;

Theme Park

Location » Inca Inca
 The Inca taxi drivers association starts a petition in favor of the park 'Holy Land'

The Inca taxi drivers association has started collecting signatures in favor of the construction of the theme park 'Holy Land' which screened on land located at the foot of the Puig de Santa Magdalena.  The association president, José Alama, explained to this newspaper yesterday that "the collection started about four days ago and we already have about 1,000 signatures supporting the theme park." Alama emphasized the need to have an Inca "attraction that allows moving the commercial sector.  If you have to do the theme park we want to do in Inca "he said.

For his part, Mayor Rafael Torres (PP), reported yesterday that performs surveys of citizens to check that you have the project acceptance in society. Although a group through social networks has started a campaign to collect signatures against the 'Holy Land', Torres said that as mayor of Inca "I defend the interests of the residents of the city.  Yesterday, Sunday, I went for a meal on Aging Lledoner area and all attendees showed me their support to the theme park. "

According to the mayor, citizens see this project as an opportunity to find work and recalled that, according to developers, will create about 500 direct jobs and 300 indirect jobs.

Moreover, Mayor Torres advanced yesterday that next Thursday will meet "with various speakers from different political groups and the City Council is putting on the table the proposed theme park Holy Land.Rafel Torres also has other projects "interesting" for the city you are now.

Although this newspaper for months that advanced the possibility of hosting the Inca city of theme park construction 'Holy Land', it was not until Monday of last week when the promoters of the project entered the facility in the City Council d'Inca .

According to the project that exists in the Consistory, is expected to occupy about 21 acres of land and the installation will represent the three major world religions.  The idea of ​​this park comes after building a theme park of the same characteristics in the city of Buenos Aires.

Unquote.

Any basic understanding of what is happening here Andrew? Are there any plans on the table that have been given the thumbs up by "higher" authority yet?  ::)

My Flickr Photos

Flyer

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:59:11 AM »
Understand the 3 wise men are going to visit from the East (ie Puerto Pollensa)  :o ...... any nominations?  ::)
Suggest Restaurant Stay for the last supper.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:00:47 AM by Flyer »
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:02:39 AM »
LOL!   Prickly Pear Cactus soup on the menu!?   ::)

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 09:11:07 AM »
And the debtate goes on in Ultima Hora today;

»Holy Land
Theme Park Location »Inca
 Inca

The 100 percent of the jobs generated by the construction of the theme park 'Holy Land' should be for residents of Inca. If not, do not allow the construction of the park in the city. " So of course shown Inca mayor, Rafael Torres (PP), now determines the construction of the theme park at the foot of the Puig de Santa Magdalena to creating jobs for the citizens of the capital of Raiguer.

In the project theme park drivers registered in d'Inca City Council on Monday September 24 is contemplated that the large infrastructure generate 500 direct jobs and 300 indirect jobs. "Since the City Council will hold that all positions are for people of Inca because our interest in the construction of 'Holy Land' only power lies in creating jobs." Now it remains to check the condition sine qua non that puts the mayor to promoters is legally feasible.

Formalities

Currently, the theme park project is under study and not yet have any permission from any institution. Still, it has made public the intention of the promoters to install the theme park on an estate of 21 acres located at the foot of the Puig de Santa Magdalena. Currently, these areas are classified as rustic Inca urban planning, but thanks to new Llei of Tourism driven by the Minister Carlos Delgado, the City Council may reclassify the land as a tourist and give planning permission to the developer of the park that will within two years of starting the installation.

As contemplated in the project registered with the City Council of the city, the promoters claim that "the shops will be located inside the theme park configured not competition for businesses and existing businesses in the city that will benefit from increased tourism collective. " In addition, we also aim to increase revenue into public "as tax" that will be generated as a result of the installation of the park in the town of Inca.

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 09:03:07 AM »
...And Andrew's take on it ...

Coveting Thy Neighbour's Tourist Market

The Christian theme park, "Tierra Santa", has been hawked around Mallorcan towns like the lost tribes of Israel going vainly in search of some room at an inn. Capdepera and Ses Salines have both been fancied runners to house the theme park, Alcúdia and Calvià are among other towns that have been spoken to, and now the park may well have its final resting place - Inca.

This is not the first time that a theme park has been talked about in Inca. The park between Llucmajor and Campos about which there was considerable publicity towards the end of last year - and about which not a peep has been heard since - was originally planned for Inca (or Calvia) some ten years ago. Inca may now finally get its theme park, though the impression being given is that the town hall administration is cool on the idea.

When the possibility of Inca being the location was first mentioned a couple of weeks ago, Inca's mayor, Rafel Torres, insisted that the only contact had been an informal one. Now that the theme park is starting to seem like more than just a possibility, the mayor has made clear that there will be conditions - jobs would have to be for people of the town only, and businesses inside the theme park could not be in competition with any in the town.

The regional government says that the plan to site the park on rustic land at the foot of the Puig de Santa Magdalena would "probably" be in compliance with provisions in the new tourism law that allow for construction on such land. 21 hectares would become theme-parked, and the environmentalists are, as you might imagine, distinctly unimpressed; the Salva Mallorca platform has set up an online petition to campaign against the theme park.

There are plenty of hoops to go through before Tierra Santa becomes a reality, but if it does become reality, what would it mean? Apart from 800 jobs (all for Inca people, the mayor hopes) and 30 million euros of investment, the promoters say that the environmentalists shouldn't worry. The park would be "ecological", it wouldn't be "cement" and it could be dismantled. It would be inclusive in terms of religion, though clearly there would be a concentration on one particular religion. Quite what is made of the whole idea in local ecclesiastical circles, I'm not sure, though the promoters say that it has the approval of the Bishopric of Mallorca and of the Vatican.

The park would consist of a re-creation of Jerusalem at the time of Christ, of figures and actors representing that era, of exhibitions to show customs, traditions and the origins of spirituality, of music and dance shows, of ancient Arabic, Jewish and Armenian gastronomy as well as of restaurants more in keeping with contemporary times; it might be the latter which cause some conflict with businesses outside the theme park.

But most important is what the park would generate in terms of tourism. The promoters claim that there will be more than 60,000 new tourists each month, and note that they say "each month". If it were to, then it would go some way to boosting winter tourism, but would it?

The projected number of tourists needs to be put into context. Palma Aquarium, the most visited attraction on Mallorca, registered its highest number of visitors in August this year - 78,000. The Aquarium, however, has made quite clear the difficulties that it and other attractions have out of season and that earlier months of the summer season were relatively slow.

The Christian theme park would be a totally different attraction, but unless it were to create a whole new tourism market (one coming to Mallorca because of the theme park), it would still be in direct competition with other attractions. It would have to work extremely hard at its marketing to meet its 60,000 per month. And hard it might well be. Attractions rely heavily on their relationships with tour and excursions operators and travel agencies. One wonders if a Mallorca Holy Land might be a tough sell when up against the likes of the Aquarium, Marineland and others; might it be simply a bit weird for the general tourist public?

Then there is the location. Would Inca be a disadvantage? Stuck in the middle of the island, it might seem to hold an advantage, but the main tourist population is in the south and it has any number of attractions right on its doorstep that don't require travelling any real distance. 

There is one other consideration. For various reasons, would a Mallorca Holy Land send out the right message? I'm not sure that it would.

My Flickr Photos