Author Topic: Bitey things!  (Read 1424 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Bitey things!
« on: November 20, 2011, 13:00:31 PM »
Managing to get out for a couple of days next week. For obvious reasons I am now concerned what is flying or creeping about at the moment that can bite or sting. Any help please?  :o
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: Bitey things!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 13:10:55 PM »
The problem with this time of year Bella is the obvious dampness and the nasty flipping things that dampness encourages out of hiding.
I'm sure you would have discussed with the medics the possibility of being bitten again and what reaction that could bring with it but I would ensure lots and lots of repellent plus Avon dry oil spray - (little perfume!  ;)) which the seems to keep some nasties away and a large packet of puriton just in case. AND eat marmite - thats supposed to help! ::)

It is so hard though isn't it, as you are able to prove that you don't need to leave the country for these things to trace you! Good luck and I am so pleased Steve is feeling much better. ;D Have a great time  ;D
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 13:21:21 PM »
Thanks eleanor. Marmite!! Love it! Will make sure we pick some up from somewhere. Is the English food shop open still?

My Flickr Photos

Sun Properties

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 14:23:19 PM »
Think they had Marmite in Lidl. I understood that anti-histermine tabs stayed in person's circulation for around 48 hours and I cannot see any reason not to take the likes of Piriton/Clarityn on a regular basis (ie as hay fever sufferers) and once in the blood they should instantly protect against any bites. Ask your quack. Clarityn were cheaper over the counter in Mallorca than by prescription in UK.

SP

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 14:58:45 PM »
Interesting SP. Will check that one out, thanks.

My Flickr Photos

deanscroft

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 13:07:36 PM »
If you are thinking of buying Antihistamines (not branded varieties) then have a look at the online chemists where you can get a months supply for around a pound. I buy as many boxes as they will allow as this then spreads the postage cost.

Kate1

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 17:06:14 PM »
My daughter developed a weird allergic reaction to something when we were out in PP once and the very helpful pharmacist gave her what I think was anti-histamine syrup and said it was fine to take it continually as a preventative - if it's OK for a child I'm sure it must be for an adult... can't remember the cost but it was an enormous bottle - a lifetime's supply, I should think - there is probably a tablet version for adults.

Keep  the Raid or Bloom plug-ins going all day in your bedroom rather than just putting them on at night - there is a version which has two settings, one for mozzies only and one which keeps away insects as well. And burn citronella candles if you are lucky enough to be able to sit outside in the evening!

Have a lovely time - you certainly deserve it after what you have been through!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
Thanks Kate, hopefully we will have time to pop into pharmacy and ask abou it! They both sound like good things to keep handy.

My Flickr Photos