Author Topic: Pedestrianisation - One Way - or leave as is?  (Read 12043 times)

Sun Properties

Pedestrianisation - One Way - or leave as is?
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:22:07 AM »
I have noticed that the question of possible pedestrianisation of the Port Road has been mentioned again. As I understand the main objectors in the past have been the shop/restaurant owners who were concerned regarding the loss of passing trade. Some of you may recall it was tried a few years ago with the road from Tamarells through to the marina roundabout being a no-go for cars however the no entry signs were small and I witnessed virtually every second vehicle just ignoring the signs and driving through.

My suggestion would be to make the road one way - into the Port as far as the Pollensa Park road (opposite Tamarrells) and out of the Port as far as the same point - with all traffic then being taken past the Pollensa Park up to the new bypass road see ....

This would have the advantage of being able to introduce a cycle path/increase the footpath/still provide parking (echelon)/allow for service vehicles but at the same time stop the 'rat run'. I now wait to be shot down in flames!

SP

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: Pedestrianisation - One Way - or leave as is?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 16:02:36 PM »
I think any suggest should be valued SP so I certainly wouldn't shoot you down! lol  ;D

I think your idea is one that should be considered if given the opportunity. Personally I would like to see the area completely pedestrianised as I feel it would add much to the area generally as well as giving much more safety to people. It really is so dangerous as it is at present especially during the main season when it isn't unusual to find people walking in the roads due to the volume of people. I really can not understand how the argument can be that the shops and restaurants will lose passing trade. Most of the passing trade would be on foot anyway so how will that change?
In fact I think it could add to their trade as many will be able to take note of what is around rather than trying to dodge between passing cars and people on the pavements!

Whatever 'they' decide, I feel it can only be an improvement. I do believe that there are certain people who will always object to any form of change simply because it IS change!  Time to move on I think and time to improve before PP is left behind! ::)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 17:58:48 PM by Eleanor »
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 17:45:16 PM »
I like the sound of part of the road along the coast being one-way - but am not personally keen on a large swathe being pedestrianised.  Sorry! Part of the joy of arriving in PP for us is to be able to drive along the beautiful Bay of Pollensa.  
However, I am not sure if taking all traffic up beside the Pollensa Park would work.  It's already pretty busy with coaches and tour buses - and the road isn't that wide either.  Maybe there is another road which could be used instead?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 13:59:03 PM by Mary Lorenzo »

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 18:08:07 PM »
Like Mary we too like to drive along the Bay on arrival but we turn off earlier than you Mary so sorry I have been a little selfish in my thoughts. We tend to turn off by the Pollensa hotel to drive up to Gommar. You are absolutely right that the narrow road by the Pollensa hotel is very busy most times with coaches or just the volume of people and therefore would not work.

Wasn't there talk once of the Llenaire road being used? I believe at the time there were many new apartments and villas being built in the area and a few agents got together to fight the idea as they felt it would put people off buying and their argument was that it would hurt the area very much especially if many of the properties then remained unsold.
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Sun Properties

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 18:54:52 PM »
'Pollensa Park' road chosen as it is double width road, it has two road links onto the new bypass with one of the roads having limited residential development plus the road is approximately at the mid point between the marina roundabout and the new roundabout at 'the other end'. I also think it would be fairly easy (if required) to widen this road as the land behind the corner pizza restaurant is under used. Parking restrictions would need to be in place all along the road but there is 'waste' land in the area for parking for the shops/restaurants. Until the by-pass was contructed this was the road (tourist coaches) to the Pollensa Park. I think there must be an easy way/route to build a footpath link from the hotel to the front.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 23:20:31 PM »
Please note the Poll at the top of the page. Your vote would be interesting even if you dont add a comment to the thread!

Some really great points already posted. I will get over the jet lag and pay more attention to the details!
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Tia

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 00:40:52 AM »
I don't completely disagree with your plan Sun Properties but i do not think it a good idea to divert all traffic along the Pollensa Park road (btw it's name is Calle Bot), this road is not wide enough and it would make life very difficult for the many businesses and residents of the lower Gommar/Gotmar area. I think a far more suitable road would be Avenida Llenaire as it is much wider and does not have anywhere near as much people traffic, so it would also be the safer option.
Don't worry........Be happy !!!!

Juanco

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »
I do basically agree with  most of SP's views on the matter. One thing that I would change though is the road to take traffic up. I cannot see it clearly enough on this map, but its Las Xar.... something like that! Also, I cannot vote on the three options as have another option in mind. I will pm the mod and see if it can be added.

I think it should still be two way up to the turn off I have suggested, which, although sounds bizzar, actually frees up quite a lot of car parking on that long stretch of road between the Llenaire restaurant up to Tamarells, which would be required as car parking is also one of the major issues in the port.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:45:27 AM by Juanco »

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 20:00:19 PM »
Whadya mean jet lag , woman ???

A couple of hours on Easyjet ???

Toughen up !!!!

What's this about being Brain Dead after your experiences ???

Get posting , sounds like worth reading !!!

BL  ;D ;D
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 20:03:17 PM »
Sorry,

So jet lagged couldn't get Bella's quote right on me own website !!!!!

BL  ;D ;D
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 20:07:50 PM »
That's why you need me - jetlagged or brain dead!! LOL! Will be expanding on my notes in due course - but remember it was only 2 full days in the end - and those sleeping policeman along the coast road definately had a wake up call with us driving along! Drainage? What drainage?  ::) Pedestrians beware!

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 11:15:26 AM »
Interesting split in the poll at the moment. Please put your vote in soon if you haven't already and we can discuss the outcome. Thanks for putting it together SP.

My Flickr Photos

Chelskiboy

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 13:01:46 PM »
I personally think the pedestrianisation should be from the Stay turning  up to Avenida de Paris. This would provide a significant area for all the restaurants and bars to spill out and provide a much more pleasant promenade, without the horribly tight pavement that exists currently by the shops. The real benefit of this however is that there would be no new problems caused for parking. The existing car park by Stay  would remain open and the stretch that is pedestrianised has no parking on it at present anyway, apart from a few cars outside Tolo's. If you extend the pedestrianisation towards Tamarells, then parking would become an issue as many people park on that stretch, particularly locals and people staying in villas to use south sandy beach. The route back to the town would be through El Pinaret. However as this route winds you quite a way back to the by pass, anybody wishing to go to the town and coming down from Alcudia would be incentivised to turn off. They would use the whole length of the bypass as was of course originally planned. This also allows Mary to still drive around the bay before heading off up to the bypass through El pinaret if she so wishes ! Service access to the shops will need to be provided but this could be restricted to early morning as happens in many other resorts in mallorca.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 14:18:16 PM »
Sounds good Chels. Think that comes under the option of shorter pedestrianisation although it does depend where the one way coming into the port is suggested. As the by pass is up and running, it should certainly be used to its fullest use, and just allow Puerto Pollensa visitors a comfortable experience!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 15:17:10 PM by Belladonna »

My Flickr Photos

Tia

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »
What we think is immaterial really as there is simply no money in the budget for pedestrianising. In my opinion this is the true reason for the council's scrapping of the plan, decisions like these are being taken all over, not just Pollensa but Mallorca, Spain and well the whole of Europe really. We may not like it but that is the way it is and i can not see it changing for the next two or three years. ::)
Don't worry........Be happy !!!!