Author Topic: Pedestrianisation - One Way - or leave as is?  (Read 13356 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: Pedestrianisation - One Way - or leave as is?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 12:54:01 PM »
I think you are right Tia. Its the same the world over at the moment. Hopefully this can be a time to work things out and put them on a shelf all ready to go when the money is there again!  :)
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 14:51:28 PM »
It is such a shame that the EE over the years decided to waste so much money on things that many thought to be unnecessary. I was reading in our local paper just how much money the MP's are taking in salary and expenses alone. OK in the big scheme of things probably wouldn't make very much difference but adding up all the waste generally would be quite scary I think.

I do hope that money will be found to at least keep PP looking it's best. There is nothing worse than visiting a place and thinking that the lights have been turned off but no-one said! I hope you are right Tia in your prediction. It would be great to see an atmosphere of growth as was seen ten years or so ago. The feeling then was success breeds success and the Port echoed that feeling in my opinion.
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

favie

• There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 20:33:17 PM »
"What we think is immaterial really as there is simply no money in the budget for pedestrianising."

This is true.....but Polls are good fun and a way to see what our members would like! ;D

Anything else we can have a poll on for 2012? ???

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 21:23:00 PM »
It would be nice to think that 'people power' had a voice which is listened to occasionally.

But it is true it really doesn't matter who thinks what if there is no money - there is no money.  :(

Perhaps this might change with all the motor related fines they are collecting.   ::)
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 13:59:01 PM »
New talks have started up again;

MALLORCA TODAY - Puerto Pollensa pedestrianisation returns
Bad memories of the aborted attempt to pedestrianise the front line in Puerto Pollensa may have been aroused by the news that Pollensa town hall is seeking an agreement with the Council of Mallorca regarding a new project to pedestrianise the coast road from Llenaire into the port. However, there is a big difference this time that might allay the concerns expressed last time. Under this scheme, and it follows what mayor Tomeu Cifre said in response to a question I asked of him at a meeting of English-speaking residents last year, it would be only a partial pedestrianisation, with a one-way traffic system into the port from the Alcúdia direction being maintained.

Courtesy of Andrew.

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »
And here we go again!!

In the DdM today;

The first line of the Port will semipedestrian and allow one-way traffic

The City expects the transfer of the road by the Consell to undertake an ambitious project funding has not yet
02/16/2013 | 6:30

The first line of Moll, in an image file. j. frau j. frau Nearly four years after the last experience pedestrianization held in the Port de Pollença, which was not very satisfactory as it only lasted seven months, the council 'pollencí' now wants to get a similar formula, although not as radical as first, consisting of the first line semipeatonalizar between the roundabout in front of the marina and the urbanization of Llenaire. Unlike the first project, in this case, allow the passage of vehicles, but in one direction of movement that will surely be in the direction of the harbor entrance. Ie from Alcúdia vehicles may travel on the first line, but not vice versa.

Mayor Pollença, Tomeu Encrypt (PP), confirmed yesterday semipeatonalización intentions. In fact, the document that sets the roadmap governing pact between PP and Lliga has been delivered this week to the different parties represented municipal listed as one of the priorities of the legislature conducting a study of feasibility to convert the first line of Moll in an area for pedestrians.

The project studying the City would stay halfway full pedestrianization, but will be an "ambitious actions" in the words of Encrypt. The idea is to make room for pedestrians in the first line of Moll, widening sidewalks and street furniture refurbishing, one of the major tourist areas of Mallorca.

Assignment of the road
The municipal project is still in the initial study phase and depends on external factors such as the assignment required the municipality of Pollença road, owned by the Consell de Mallorca.

Encrypt Mayor states that still have to negotiate the reception route to the island institution and that the Consistory should be aware that the road is in good condition, without requiring additional investment, before accepting an assignment.
Subsequently, the City should seek funding to carry out the pedestrianization works, still undefined budget. The Hall has already started the round of contacts with various entities of Moll, including hotel association to explain municipal intentions. Also, the mayor plans to exhibit soon the project to different political parties to gauge their opinion. In any case, the semipeatonalización not be a reality by the summer of next year 2014.

Unquote.

Now this could be interesting, as isn't it very similar to what they tried a couple of years ago and which failed miserably, with anyone who could get away with it going the wrong way up the street when the police were not around? I wonder what they have thought of to stop that this time? Certainly not permanent police attendance, maybe  more cameras for collecting fines?  ::)

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »
Andrews bit;

MALLORCA TODAY - Puerto Pollensa's pedestrianisation planned

Some years after the debacle of the pedestrianisation of Puerto Pollensa's coast road, a project that was abandoned because it was ill-conceived and largely unsupported, a new plan is being considered. It would involve a semi-pedestrianisation of the frontline by which traffic coming from Alcúdia could still use the road, so making the road one way. This plan isn't really that new as it has been spoken about for some while. It requires the Council of Mallorca ceding responsibility for the road to Pollensa town hall and mayor Tomeu Cifre, unlike his predecessor, is making assurances that there will be consultation over a project that, were it to happen, would be in place by the start of the 2014 tourism season.

My Flickr Photos

Juanco

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
These schemes are working in Palma by the aquarium/ beach, Cala dor and a few other places. But it take away beach front parking for tourists. So you increase the footfall and ease of walking for the tourists, but where do they park as currently they park all along the beach front from Llenaire down to the port?

Is there a idea for underground parking going on? sic. as was suggested next to Little Italy??!!

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 10:28:58 AM »
These schemes are working in Palma by the aquarium/ beach, Cala dor and a few other places. But it take away beach front parking for tourists. So you increase the footfall and ease of walking for the tourists, but where do they park as currently they park all along the beach front from Llenaire down to the port?

Outside of Bella's apartment block, Juanco .

BL  ;) ;D
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 10:31:33 AM »
Very funny BL!  But I will be looking into the possibility of putting up a pay and display machine!  8)

My Flickr Photos

Flyer

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 11:00:38 AM »
Very funny BL!  But I will be looking into the possibility of putting up a pay and display machine!  8)

Good idea BL - keep parking down that end of Llenaire  ;) Pay and display outside BD's place there is already a pay machine before you go in for a drink and now we have to pay for parking as well  ???

Pedestrianisation ~ good idea in my view  :)
Received a text today which read GNAB ~ I think that is bang out of order. It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty - there is clearly more room for more wine. I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »
Oh for goodness sake! How many more times is this to be re-delivered!  :o Every few years some bright spark relights this debate.  ::)

There are so many issues to be addressed in PP and of course Mallorca generally that in my view this old recycled idea needs to be put further down the priority list.
Eleanor

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 11:08:21 AM »
Oh gosh my post crossed! I was of course referring to the powerd that be and not the debate on this site!  :o

Eleanor

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 13:20:14 PM »
Sometimes I think they introduce, or re introduce a topic that causes debate in order to avert our attention from other more important matters Eleanor!

Oh, and as for the payment thing flyer - you do get a concession though if you bring crisps and wine!  ;)

My Flickr Photos

Juanco

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 13:32:44 PM »
Well according to this update it seems I'm on the right track with my thinking;

The 'molleros' support the initiative, according to a survey
A survey by the UMP party finds that a majority of residents believed necessary semipeatonización

jfs pollença A survey by Unió Mollera Pollencina (UMP), training with a representative on the City Council, notes that most residents and businesses of Port de Pollença which have been consulted semipeatonalización supported the draft. In total, the party divided the Moll 73 surveys, of which 48 were completed. Most respondents to the survey, a total of 36, would agree with the initiative, while twelve would be against.
addition, of the 36 who pass the semipeatonalización, 34 believe that the best sense of movement is the input the town, as the City plans, while the other two would bet on the direction of exit. A majority of respondents (22-14) also believe it necessary to build new car parks to encourage people to wander on foot through the coastal village and empowerment of a bicycle lane on the seafront (30-6).
Some suggestions made ​​by respondents point to the need to install benches that look out to sea and not on the road, as at present, to limit the passage of heavy vehicles on the first line and slow circulation to twenty kilometers per hour. Others opt for a stretch enable entirely pedestrian.
Some who voted against the semipeatonalización justify its decision in the loss of customers that, in his view, the trade will suffer Moll, plus it will require constant cleaning and landscaping to maintain good ride conditions.

Unquote.

The success of the scheme is to be able to provide car parking. Because the scheme will create far more public space along the front, a car park will  be required before Tolos. Maybe the green space infront of the police station? That would give beach front parking as well as keeping traffic out of the town centre.