Author Topic: Palm trees - the end  (Read 5417 times)

andrew711

Palm trees - the end
« on: November 28, 2011, 15:19:48 PM »
In the never-ending saga of my internet problems, I currently have cables around that make things seem like an intensive care unit. But things are working for the moment, and I'm hoping that the chap from Telefonica does actually return today. But enough of this ... Palm trees. Pollensa town hall is cutting down 80 palms not so far affected by the beetle, which is probably all the public ones that haven't yet been destroyed. And. It's going to be sending demands to any private owner it finds with an affected tree, giving that owner 10 days to "eliminate" the tree. If not, there will be a fine of up to 2500 euros. Right, that'll be me for a few more days no doubt.

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
Re: Palm trees - the end
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 15:29:15 PM »
I´ve noticed a few palm tree trunks along the front in PP already. 
Very sad to see those beautiful trees cut down in their prime!

Sun Properties

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 15:32:50 PM »
Sorry to hear of your internet problems Andrew - I am sure most people on this website have faced similar problems with their electricity/gas/water etc out in PP  ::)

Disappointing news re the (remaining) palm trees ~ I just wish the Council would, at least, plant something in their place or even between the stumps.

SP

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 15:33:20 PM »
Llenaire is suffering so much at the moment, such a shame.  The ones along the marina looked so healthy last week, hope they are not being cut down "just in case". I pity owners who are not out and end up paying the fine because they didnt get the notice!  Such a shame this has gone on for so long.

Andrew, get well in Techi ICU!!

After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 17:25:47 PM »
Many thanks for you kind thoughts regarding the internet. I am glad to report, touching the wood of a fallen palm tree, that a recovery is now going well. Hats off might I say to Jose from Movistar putting new cable in while it was tipping it down. And in the end, he gave me a new router as the one from Orange was useless - Orange being the provider, or meant to be. Anyway, back to palm trees ... Santa Margalida town hall were said to be planning to cut their palms down in Can Picafort as well, though they have denied the claim. Isn't it sad? It was said that the beetle would bring ecological disaster in the sense of devastating the landscape, and this seems to have proved to be correct. But how Pollensa town hall, which was so slow or incompetent under its previous administration, can now attempt to hit owners with fines for not cutting down trees beggars belief.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 18:23:30 PM »
Certainly does, but not really a surprise is it. They try every trick in the book to get some money back into the coffers. Perhaps they should make a few considerable donations themselves!   8)
Hopefully those that have survived the beetle will have built up a resistance and perhaps can be the future of the palm.

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 00:27:54 AM »
Ok, please explain to me why 80 HEALTHY palm trees are being destroyed in Llenaire? I would have thought that if a plant has managed to survive a problem, then it has some sort of immunity - both of the problem and of being destroyed. I am not a horticultural expert, so maybe I am wrong. But to destroy such beautiful plants / trees when showing no sign of the beetle does not make sense. Serious question.  ???

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 13:08:15 PM »
Saturday, December 03, 2011
MALLORCA TODAY - Pollensa starts to remove palms from private land
Eighty or so public palms in Puerto Pollensa now cut down, Pollensa town hall has activated its campaign for palms on private property that have been affected by the red beetle to be cut down as well. Circulars have been sent out and some elimination has already begun, as owners seek to avoid a 2,500 fine. Between 150 and 200 trees on private land are said to be infected, and the owners have ten days with which to comply with the order or risk being fined. The circular says that remains from palms can be buried - to a depth of at least one metre - or be taken to the town hall's site in Llenaire.

:-[ :'(

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 20:45:33 PM »
Todays Mallorca Blog shows photos of the little horrors.

http://mallorcaphotoblog.com/

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 22:17:16 PM »
Thanks for this Andrew - gosh they really are nasty looking things aren't they!

I feel such total hate for them which is justified after all the damage they have done to the lovely palms!
I hope they die a very quick death! >:(

Right! -- feel much better for that!  ::)

Great photos Andrew.
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 11:18:19 AM »
I'm not sure we can attribute these to Andrew actually eleanor, I may be wrong, but think it is a different blogger.

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 11:38:07 AM »
Yes you are correct Bella - just had another look. Apologies and thanks for the link! Need to get myself some new glasses asap!

Just looking at their photo is enough for my brain to start to steam and all rational thinking is put on hold!
I then become very confused!  lol  :-[

Not sure who the blogger is but great photo never the less.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:44:45 AM by Eleanor »
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

andrew711

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 15:59:16 PM »
No, I can't take any credit. Many of the photos from the daily photo blog are the work of the guy who runs it, a German Klaus Fabricius who is one of the nicest people you could hope to meet.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 17:25:00 PM »
I do like reading his blogs occassionally too, not as often as I read yours of course Andrew, the photos draw me in though to see what its all about. I would imagine he is indeed a very interesting gentleman.

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 09:13:03 AM »
ddm today;

The municipality made a census of private palm trees to keep out of the red palm weevil

A technical report on the parasite
PEP CORCOLES local authorities Inca confirmed yesterday that the city is free of red palm weevil "but in a high risk area because neighboring municipalities are affected," said Councilwoman General Services, Rosa Tarrago.
Mayor, Rafael Torres, announced that the City has approved measures that also affect individuals.
The council has articulated a protocol that is first to develop a census of all existing palm trees, both public and private. They fill a page with the owner's name, location and type of palm tree. The municipality owns 301.
In the event that an individual suspected of being affected can inform the City Council will send technicians to apply a treatment to the palm may be to remove the affected part and move them to the incinerator conditions. Also, treat the tree with an active ingredient. This entire service is free.
Rosa Tarrago insisted that "it takes the full cooperation of the owners. And it's no use going to act with palm trees and preventing public if then allowed the pest from spreading to private palms ".

My Flickr Photos