Author Topic: Palm trees - the end  (Read 5408 times)

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: Palm trees - the end
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »
Horse and bolted comes to mind!
This is obviously good and a positive action but about three years too late! Had this been in operation earlier many trees including mine may have been saved. We paid a lot of money to have our tree treated and later disposed of in the correct way. The cost at that time could well have been one reason why so many ignored the beetle and it was allowed to spread. Had the service been free earlier or indeed much cheaper then perhaps more trees would have survived.
I think many know my feelings about losing my lovely tree!  ::)

(don't mention palm trees - you will set her off again! ::) ::) lol}
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:05:56 AM by Eleanor »
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
I know.  :-\ Its quite understandable for you to be upset about your lovely tree. It would cost an absolute fortune to replace it at the size it had grown to, but perhaps you can plant a smaller one - almost in memory - in the same place?  Just wait a while until all this weevil thing has slowed down!
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 10:42:33 AM »
lol  ;D ;D you would make a wonderful counsellor Bella! ;D

Nahh flipping thing was a pain in the neck actually = leaves and dust everywhere including the pool! lol  ;D ;D Also encouraged those blasted beetles into the garden!  ;D ;D
I just like to have something to moan about! lol  ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:36:55 PM by Eleanor »
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 15:04:11 PM »
 :D :D :D Oh you are awful ........ but I like you!!   ;)

My Flickr Photos

girlie in the corner

• Niña el tiempo extrordinaire
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 08:30:31 AM »
As I mentioned on the weather thread, Eleanor, there's always a sunny side.   ;D

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 16:55:56 PM »
Too true Girlie!  ;D

Decided no mor trees fo me - much prefer the 'open' look! The palm was great in August for shading from the sun but didn't realise how much brighter the garden looks now it's gone!  :o
As you say Girlie - there's always a sunny side and we can now see it! lol  ;)
Eleanor

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 23:16:30 PM »
Who needs trees anyway - put a tent up for a bit of shade!   ;)

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »

In DDM today.   Old news I know, but it just wont go away.  :-[

Only 18 municipalities of the island are still free of the plague of red palm weevil

Palma, Llucmajor, Alcudia and Pollensa are the cities with highest number of diseased palms

J. FRAU red weevil plague that attacks the palm continues its unstoppable advance of the island of Majorca. According to the map of involvement provided by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Territory of the Government, only 18 of the 53 municipalities of Mallorca, a proportion of 33 percent, remain outside the devastating power of the insect. In all other municipalities diseased palms have been detected in varying degrees of involvement.

The Serra de Tramuntana, the main green of the island, is the region with less incidence of red palm weevil because the palms are not among the most common trees of the mountains, mainly dominated by pine, olive and oak. The scope of the Serra, only the towns of Calvia, Alcudia and Pollensa related incidents have beetle.

In the Pla, according to the map provided by the Govern, the municipalities of Maria de la Salut, and Sant Joan Llubí are still safe from the action of the red palm weevil, while also saving Llevant now the towns of Sant Llorenç, Son Servera and Capdepera.

The rest of Mallorca is infected palm beetle. The most affected municipalities are Llucmajor Palma, in the south and Alcudia and Pollensa in the north of the island. These four municipalities are marked in red on the map prepared by Environmental incidents, which means they have detected more than 150 palm trees affected in each of the municipalities.

Behind these four municipalities and within walking distance of them, lie the territories of Wall, Algaida, Campos and Santanyí, which have been recorded between 50 and 150 palm trees affected by the action voracious beetle.
The municipalities of Mallorca this is in a middle ground, with less than 50 palms affected in their respective territories. However, since the Govern insists that we must not lower our guard against the red palm weevil for ease of expansion you have.

In just six years, since 2006, is calculated on the island of Mallorca some 2,500 palm trees have been infected by the beetle. From the executive have launched various information campaigns to affected landowners in explaining the various steps to be followed for the removal of trees.

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 08:50:35 AM »

In the DDM today, reports that this flipping weevil is still on its travels;  >:(

Valldemossa suffers first cases affected palm red weevil

Staff of the Department of Agriculture has given talks to neighbors to combat the plague

The red palm weevil has affected several towns in the rest of Mallorca. 
IM VALLDEMOSSA red weevil continues its unstoppable expansion. The municipality of Valldemossa found at the end of last month, the first cases of palms affected by the plague.
Via a statement on the municipal website, the Consistory gives a set of guidelines to ensure the best possible protection of the palm trees.
This sense, remember that, particularly if previously sanitized, insecticide should be applied between March and November with a maximum interval of 45 days. Recently, staff of the Department of Agriculture went to Valldemossa to inform owners of palm trees in the best way to combat the harmful effects of weevil

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 12:48:32 PM »
So Palma will be palmless! :(  This is really awful. I don't actually understand why they haven't got to grips with this flipping beetle yet! Gosh it has been a war for a few years now. Why haven't they been able to find some weapon to attack them with as yet?

We can go to the moon but we can't kill a flipping beetle! Lets hope there isn't life in space!

(lol all those ufo's I count on my no sleeping nights are creeping in here! ::))

Seriously, I hope they manage to save the trees. They are so beautiful and of course do make
Palma, Palma!
Eleanor

Mary Lorenzo

• Entertainment Guru
  • Elite Member
  • Pine Walk
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »
Just spotted a map of the island, showing in red where the worst affected areas are for the dreaded palm tree beetle   >:(

It seems that the palm trees in the  Palma area and Alcudia/Pollensa areas have been affected the most.   >:( >:( >:(

http://www.caib.es/sacmicrofront/contenido.do?idsite=94&cont=1542&lang=ca&campa=yes

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »
Sad to see it like that, and a bit strange to see it affected on extremes of the island. I wonder why?  ???

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 08:30:11 AM »
DdM today; its still causing distress;

The red palm weevil and affects the palms of the cemetery
03/07/2013 | 6:30

An operator treatment practiced yesterday a palm tree. PC PC Operators Inca City Council had to cut public yesterday a new palm tree, in this case it is a copy of the cemetery. This triggered the alarms because the cemetery is just one of the public places with the highest concentration of palms.
technicians Parks and Gardens have reviewed the 36 palms place and have identified three affected individuals. One of them has been already cut, as mentioned, and the other two have required treatment. Have been trimmed and have been injected a substance that kills the beetle. Municipal sources report that "yesterday used the day to make preventive therapy palm rest of the enclosure.
The Parks and Gardens Service reports that "in total have been killed so far 22 public palms due to weevil infestation '

My Flickr Photos

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 09:34:44 AM »
PP Andrew. MALLORCA TODAY - Improvements to palm beetle situation hoped for

Although the number of palm trees affected by the "picudo rojo" red beetle now exceeds 5,000 and despite the beetle having spread to previously unaffected parts of Mallorca, there is hope that there might be an improvement to the situation, owing to efforts being concentrated on ensuring that towns that do not currently have a problem continue to not be blighted. The greatest numbers of infected palms are Palma with 1651 and Pollensa with 848.

Full story Ultima Hora;

The red palm weevil has already affected more than 5,100 palm trees in Mallorca, exactly 5,108 until March 25, according to data released by the Ministry of Environment. Of these, 95% have had to be cut, as the applied treatment to eradicate this pest have not yielded the expected results and have not been able to save these copies. So, in just over seven years the island has lost about 4,852 palms.

The red palm weevil DETECO first in Mallorca in 2006, particularly in fields and from there has spread to the entire island by municipalities, those with a greater number of infected palms are Palma (1651), Pollença (848) and Llucmajor (774). On the opposite side are Capdepera, Deia, Fornalutx and Lloseta which fortunately has not affected any palm.

Improvement in 2013

The year 2012 was the most tragic, as the red palm weevil attacked 2,437 palms. Note that this plague reached as Sóller municipalities, which were not affected.

Since 2006, when detected 12 affected individuals, this pest has increased to reach its highest disease rate in 2012. However, in the first months of 2013 there was a downward trend since January-March 310 were detected palms affected, which is about 100 a month compared to an average of 200 per month in 2012.

This improvement in the control of the pest was detected in 2013 could be due to the action plan that has implemented the Regional Ministry of Agriculture begins to show results. The main difference is that this disease has been treated individually and focused to do together and covering the entire island, and that the spread of this pest is very fast. This implies that Mallorca is considered as a single zone, subject to regulatory restrictions in relation to the movement of palms

One of the main goals has been to stop the spread of red palm weevil, so has reinforced the action plan in municipalities that have not been affected by the plague, as well as those which have a lower incidence.
palm detection affected is one of the keys to this plan. Therefore, the Directorate General of Rural Medi i Marí periodic surveys performed in both the pest-free zones such as those affected. The cooperation of citizens is also very important and anyone can notify the presence of palms affected by calling 971176666/647348894, as well as e-mail sanitatvegetal@dgagric.caib.es. The ayuntaientos staff also does an important job to detect affected palms.

The owners of the palms are responsible for eliminating the plague. Those found in buffer zone (Alcúdia, Pollensa, Palma Bay and south-central east of Mallorca) have 7 days to clear the parties concerned; disclaims paying incineration rates.

The Department also conducts massive red palm weevil catches by trapping, among other actions
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:37:52 AM by Belladonna »

My Flickr Photos